How to stay motivated at work?

I have a desk job that focuses and health all day, but my coworkers keep bringing in sweets and treats!! I can't stay away from them, I walk right pass them in order to use the restroom. It's really hard in the mornings and afternoon. Especially when the stress during the day starts to develop into a mountain! I have tried healthy snacks instead of going for the treat and trying tea now. How can I curb this sugar addiction???

Replies

• sheps1990
    sheps1990 Posts: 26 Member
    I suffer from what I call serious food-envy. This is where someone can take in a box of cookies and I can avoid them so long as no one else tucks in. As soon as one person goes for them, I end up in this stupid "I'm going to die if I don't have one too" mindset, which is then detrimental for me as I also don't have a stop button.

Out of sight, out of mind - is there another restroom or an alternative route?

Other than that, maybe bring in a healthy alternative that you can eat during a tea break.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I pre-log my entire day of food before breakfast. I pack my breakfast, lunch and snack. If I want the treat, I have to make it fit within my daily calories. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Sheer will power.

It's been so long since I've eaten any of the office sweets that they joke about how I have rock solid will power. I think one time I ate half a cookie a few months ago for our christmas cookie swap and they all damn near cheered.

Like twice a week there are donuts, cookies, coffee cakes, etc. On the counter. In between me and the bathroom just like you. I just.... don't eat it. I know how many calories I have for the day, I know how much protein I need to get in, and I know how bad I'm going to feel if I have to spend another single day trapped in a fat body that I don't want to be in.

Whew, that got dark fast. Anyway, just will power.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Rather than focusing on motivation, instead focus on determination and discipline that has to come from the inside, every day, day after day. Thought determination, you can entrench the *habit* of walking by the treats...that way you don't have to rely on motivation, which can be fleeting and fickle.

Also, you can have a treat from time to time, if you can make it fit in your calories for the day, or maybe you can offset it with a good walk or some such after work. Just log what you take, and make sure to not go completely off the rails. You can always eat a small portion and save the rest for the next day.

Who is supplying the treats? Just co-workers celebrating birthdays, or is it supplied by the office? If the office, maybe you could suggest healthier options, seeing as how they are also footing much of the bill for everyone's health care (presumably)...if coworkers, maybe you could start bringing in healthy treats (fruit and cheese tray, veg and hummus platter, salsa bar, etc.) and make a point of mentioning diplomatically that you are trying to focus on healthier, nutrient dense options.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    but my coworkers keep bringing in sweets and treats!! I can't stay away from them, I walk right pass them in order to use the restroom.

I tell myself that those things are not mine.

I wouldn't go into the work fridge and help myself to someone else's lunch ... so I'm not helping myself to any other snacks that might be around.

Also ... how long have those things been sitting there and how many people have touched them and breathed on them? Do you really want that?

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    You can start small. Perhaps plan ahead to fit just a small portion of office goodies into your day. Little by little, you can decrease how much you take until you no longer crave what's there, or continue fitting them into your daily budget.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I don't eat things at work that I don't bring in myself. Ever.
  • dan23chi
    dan23chi Posts: 26 Member
    Bring in cookies then ask them to next time bring in a veggie platter. or just no sweets at all.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    We have donuts and bagels every Friday, right there next to the only door and the water cooler. When I start caving I log the calories to see if they fit. They usually don't and looking at how it affects my day (usually) is enough to keep me on plan. Or I accept I'm going to have a bagel and bring ham and cheese along to make a sandwich for lunch.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I pre-log my entire day of food before breakfast. I pack my breakfast, lunch and snack. If I want the treat, I have to make it fit within my daily calories. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

Same here. it is all the motivation I need not to grab it- Just won't fit in the schedule
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member

I do the same thing. I prep my lunch and log it the night before. I also meal plan and estimate as well as I can when I log it. If the weights or foods change, i update it after dinner. If I have enough calories leftover, I will indulge in a cookie or other sweet.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Most of the time I just think about all the hard work I have been putting into my weightloss journey and that is motivation enough to stay on track. If not, I just try to make the best choice possible and log it. If I can I will try to rearrange my calories in my remaining meals to fit into my goal (I pre log), if I can't I just shake it off and start over the next day. A few extra calories once and a while is not going to completely undue my progress.