Milk alternatives for children

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Anyone have an suggestions for milk substitutes for kids when they are old enough to start drinking milk?

Replies

• elphie754
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

Was asking for what products other people recommend (i.e. Taste good to them etc).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Are you looking for just an alternative to cow milk or a plant-based milk?

My youngest sister was very sensitive to cow milk when she was growing up, but she tolerated goat milk very well. I understand that is the case for some people, although I don't know the reasons behind it. I thought it tasted a bit "gamy," but she liked it.

If you're looking for a plant-based milk, I would choose one that has a higher natural fat content because children need plenty of fat. Soy milk and coconut milk would be good places to start. I find the taste of soy sometimes overwhelming when I drink it by itself, but a child raised on it might not mind it. Coconut milk tastes delicious to me. My overall favorite plant-based milk is cashew milk -- it's very creamy and has a taste I find quite pleasant. I think the fat content is higher than almond, but I'm not sure.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love cashew milk and almond milk. My kids love them as well.
  • elphie754
    Options

My youngest sister was very sensitive to cow milk when she was growing up, but she tolerated goat milk very well. I understand that is the case for some people, although I don't know the reasons behind it. I thought it tasted a bit "gamy," but she liked it.

If you're looking for a plant-based milk, I would choose one that has a higher natural fat content because children need plenty of fat. Soy milk and coconut milk would be good places to start. I find the taste of soy sometimes overwhelming when I drink it by itself, but a child raised on it might not mind it. Coconut milk tastes delicious to me. My overall favorite plant-based milk is cashew milk -- it's very creamy and has a taste I find quite pleasant. I think the fat content is higher than almond, but I'm not sure.

It's the milk protein she is allergic to so not sure if other animal mills will be okay. I've tried silk soy milk before and didn't think it was too bad.

MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Why do you want a milk substitute?

Daughter was just diagnosed with a milk protein allergy.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Anyone have an suggestions for milk substitutes for kids when they are old enough to start drinking milk?

What's the goal for the milk? Are you looking to be sure the child gets calcium or do you want something to put on cereal or is it just for normal everyday hydration?

My daughter nursed for a long time (27 months) and since then she has mostly drank water, with some juice. I've never been big on juice but she loves tomato juice and has a glass each day. My husband and I drink milk and she is certainly allowed but just doesn't like it. I'm not a fan of milk substitutes (almond milk, rice milk, etc.) so I've never had her try them.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Goat milk is most similar to human milk, so that's a good option. Hemp milk is often suggested because it has high fat that growing toddlers need. Taste wise, my almost 5 year old loves almond milk (the sweetened ones, unsweetened not so much) but my 1 year old won't touch it...so it depends on the kid. They don't have to drink any milk if you want to just give water, and make sure nutritional needs are met through food. (My kids still wanted the comfort and routine though for awhile, so I get that.)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My older two transitioned to cow's milk just fine. My youngest wouldn't drink it. She drinks water. She likes yogurt and cheese and salad, so I'm not worried about calcium.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I loved milk as a kid but at age 30 became lactose intolerant. Avoided milk for years until I started eating oatmeal and started using almond milk. Get the unsweetened one to avoid the sugar
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's the milk protein she is allergic to so not sure if other animal mills will be okay. I've tried silk soy milk before and didn't think it was too bad.

Oh, if that's the case I definitely wouldn't give her goat milk. I just looked up why some people do better with it and it's because it has less lactose. So it wouldn't be useful for the milk protein allergy.
  • stacief82
    stacief82 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you are dealing with an allergy I would definately discuss with a Dr. Nutritionally not all substitutes are equal. My youngest developed a sensitivity to lactose (not a true allergy, but it did cause him some tummy issues) around 18 months old, so we had him on lactose free cows milk for a couple years. He had no issues eating yogurt or cheese, it was just the straight milk that bothered him. Luckily he did outgrow his sensitivity and he can drink regular cows milk just fine now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my kids love almond milk, it has lots of calcium
  • elphie754
    Options

Oh, if that's the case I definitely wouldn't give her goat milk. I just looked up why some people do better with it and it's because it has less lactose. So it wouldn't be useful for the milk protein allergy.

The allergist said it is very possible she grows out of it, but with my allergy history, I'm not holding my breath.

• elphie754
    Options
    Just so people don't keep repeating it-we have already seen and discussed it with pediatrician as well as pediatric allergist. Was looking for brand recommendations.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Just so people don't keep repeating it-we have already seen and discussed it with pediatrician as well as pediatric allergist. Was looking for brand recommendations.

They didn't suggest anything themselves?
  • lobotomybunny
    lobotomybunny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, very little protein in rice or almond milk, but many of the commercial varieties seem to be fortified to be comparable to cow's milk for calcium and vitamin D. Fortified Soy milk has more protein, but soy is another common allergen. Check with your pediatrician.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If your child isn't allergic to cow's milk, why substitute it? If you're allergic to foods, then you need to have her tested. Find a good ENT and have her put through the battery of tests. It's worth it to know for sure.

My daughter is very allergic to cow's milk! It actually triggers allergic asthma. She loves milk though! I literally have to monitor her but she's 19 so... kind of difficult. She's tried soy milk, but doesn't like it. Will use unsweetened vanilla almond milk on cereal.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

They didn't suggest anything themselves?

Seriously? Even if they did, does that sudddenly mean I can't ask other people for suggestions?

I was just asking for a jumping point... No one said you couldn't ask for suggestions.

ETA- I personally like almond milk but if there is a nut allergy that's out, so that is why I asked did the doctors say anything else.