Women weighing about 220lbs - How many calories are you aiming for?

Options
So at some point I used a nutritional calculator and it told me in order to lose weight I should aim for 1400 calories a day. Does that seem right to you?

Replies

• dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It depends on how active you are. I started at 1800 last week and now I aim for 1500..but I go over. I'm on my feet 8 hrs a day Mon-Fri(factory) and I just started back working out last week.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm 235 so a bit heavier than you but I aim for 1800-2000 most days. 1400 sounds very low unless you're genuinely sedentary, or you're adding your exercise separately and eating the extra calories back
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I started at 217 lbs and for 2 lbs a week was put at 1,200 calories. I changed it to 1.5 a week and sedentary and it was 1,340 then last week I changed it again to lightly active (per advice on the forums) and im much happier at this amount of calories. Im still loosing too!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, now im at about 1,600 calories. I like this because if im starving I know I have extra room in my budget, but I still try to stay under.
  • mlevy47
    mlevy47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 is more like what you need to be on

• fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Without any exercise added in, I'm at 1640 a day to lose about 1lb per week. With exercise, I generally eat between 1800-2000 per day.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly where you're at weight wise and I'm set for 1550. I exercise daily and I do eat back my exercise calories but I do not count my step calories. I'm still barely losing at 1/4-1/2# a week. I weigh and log meticulously but I also have several health issues that probably mean I should set my cals at about 1300-1400 but I can't go that low. So, for now, I'll settle for a slower loss rate, just so long as I'm losing.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started at 217 and my goal is 1850. Over the past 11 weeks, I had one full week in March and this past weekend where I ate closer to/at maintenance (due to vacation and out of town visitors), but overall I'm down to 201.2 as of this morning. I run/walk 3 miles 3x/week and 5 miles once a week, plus usually at least one 30+minutes walk a day. I never "eat back" any exercise calories over my 1850ish goal, and I keep the same goal regardless of if I'm active on that particular day unless I know that I'm missing more than one scheduled workout in the same week (in that case, I may scale it back a little).

Unless you're very sedentary, 1400 may be too low.
  • Aftronthegreat
    Aftronthegreat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 279lbs, and my goal for -2lbs a week is 1400/day, so I think it seems a bit low cal for you based off of your weight
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I started at 221, goal was 1550, lightly active and counted every step as exercise. Set to lose 2lbs/week. Made sure I walked 10k steps a day and didn't eat much of those exercise calories back. 14 weeks later, down to 194 and now at 1350. Will need to eventually move to 1lb/week of loss but have been averaging about 1.8lbs a week.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Started at 228 last week. I eat arouns 1200 to 1500 a day. It just depends. I eat more fat and protein generally though so it is pretty filling.
  • pookiefatcat
    pookiefatcat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 215 and currently eat 1900cals a day. I am set to lose .5lbs a week and sedentary. I am 5 ft 11in though so that probably changes things a bit.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 180 lbs at 5'1'', I started at 215 lbs and was eating about 2200 calories to lose a pound per week (I usually track vie TDEE, so my exercise is already accounted for).
    I'm still eating 2200 calories but I've added some cardio to my routine and I'm still losing about a pound per week, previously I was just weight training.

For me, 1400 was not enough. I lost almost 3 lbs a week when I was eating that much in the past, it was not sustainable for my typical amount of activity.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    5'1", started at age 48, 212 pounds and as I recall I had a little over 1500 calories.
  • RAVERSTACE1983
    RAVERSTACE1983 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 8 and 245lbs my calorie goal is set at 1890 lightly active. 1 stone 10lbs lost in 2 months. Some days I eat less than that can be 1400 to 1600 some days. I don't drink alcohol either so my calories are just based on the food I eat and all I drink is water. I'm getting more active now I'm losing weight
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I started at 221, goal was 1550, lightly active and counted every step as exercise. Set to lose 2lbs/week. Made sure I walked 10k steps a day and didn't eat much of those exercise calories back. 14 weeks later, down to 194 and now at 1350. Will need to eventually move to 1lb/week of loss but have been averaging about 1.8lbs a week.

That's awesome progress!! Great job!!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to maintain at sedentary level, I like to add my exercise cals and then eat back, which is 1840 and I'm still losing (I'm 5'10, 145.6lbs, started at 220lbs) so it's all relative but 1400 does seem low. You want to be eating as much as you can (while in deficit) as long as you can so you have options if you should plateau. If your calories are too low you'll have nowhere to go.
  • hnstotler
    hnstotler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 230, I actually went and saw a nutritionist and she put me at 1473. Im 5'2" for what it's worth and 31 year female.
  • Kimmber45
    Kimmber45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10. Weighing in at 271. Based on my goal my calories for the day are 2030. I'm not sure what you mean by "eating" exercise calories? Could someone explain? Most days I stay between 1600 - 1800 calories.