Waist Trainers?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    LPirate wrote: »
    A rubber waist trainer is way different than Victorian corsets first off.
    While it won't actually do the work for you, it will produce extra heat from being a tight extra layer.
    Otherwise I feel like it is what it is- shapewear.

Extra heat does not burn fat though. That's not how this works...
  • LPirate
    LPirate Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm not sayin it does? See where I put "it won't do the work for you"
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    They're a waist of time

Har har, I see what you did there. I've been seeing these on my Facebook feed lately (super annoying). The only reason I would get one is so I could wear it under a tight *kitten* dress and not look like a sack of cream corn in it. Don't waste your money. You body will go back to its original shape once it comes off

A sack of cream corn i really LOL'd
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I hate waist trainers! However I do use one of those rubber stretchy things sometimes but mostly for back support, seems to help
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try a neoprene waist trimmer it reduces fluid in the midsection. Bottom line the body sheds fat where it wants a waist trainer after time will shift your internal organs after continued and it will weaken your core because you are not relying on the muscles to do the job they are intended to do. but I honestly have never used a waist trainer. I have however used a latex corset 11 years ago following a c-section and it helped along with breastfeeding to reduce my middle but it was in part due to the shrinking of the uterus rather than fat loss. Try a waist trimmer instead.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    At best it will temporarily push some fluid out of that area, if you tend to hold some water weight there (that's why some people think they work). Key word temporarily. It will do nothing to the fat, and will do nothing good permanently.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If anything they can help support proper posture. It won't help you lose weight. Some people appear slimmer though when they have better posture
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used a waist trainer for about 3 months last year, but not because I was looking to spot reduce fat or "increase burn" or anything like that. I injured my back in multiple places back in 2014 and went through physical therapy 3x at a minimum of 8 weeks per time. I think the second time was actually 16 weeks. No matter what I did, nothing seemed to help. I could only spend about 2 hours a day out of bed before curling up in excruciating pain.

As a college student, that really wasn't ideal. I had 5 hours of classes a day and I ended up having to miss like half of them, which made my GPA suffer, and I wasn't into that. Nothing the PT was suggesting for exercises was seeming to help, so I caved and bought a waist trainer (latex free, allergy) off of Amazon because I was at the end of my rope. I was suddenly able to sit through about 4 hours of classes before needing to collapse into a heap in my bed. Kept doing the physical therapy exercises, but this time it actually started helping?

Physical therapist thinks that using the waist trainer helped me because of the reason everyone hates on them- you're not relying on those muscles. For me, it ended up being that I was doing exercises that SHOULD have been helping the spot I injured, but other muscles were chiming in and trying to compensate for the injured spot? Not entirely sure. Either way, after wearing it for 3 months, I didn't have to wear it anymore. I'm over a year out and now I'm only lounging in bed to get ready to sleep.

Otherwise, yeah. They're just a marketing scam.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used a waist trainer for about 3 months last year, but not because I was looking to spot reduce fat or "increase burn" or anything like that. I injured my back in multiple places back in 2014 and went through physical therapy 3x at a minimum of 8 weeks per time. I think the second time was actually 16 weeks. No matter what I did, nothing seemed to help. I could only spend about 2 hours a day out of bed before curling up in excruciating pain.

As a college student, that really wasn't ideal. I had 5 hours of classes a day and I ended up having to miss like half of them, which made my GPA suffer, and I wasn't into that. Nothing the PT was suggesting for exercises was seeming to help, so I caved and bought a waist trainer (latex free, allergy) off of Amazon because I was at the end of my rope. I was suddenly able to sit through about 4 hours of classes before needing to collapse into a heap in my bed. Kept doing the physical therapy exercises, but this time it actually started helping?

Physical therapist thinks that using the waist trainer helped me because of the reason everyone hates on them- you're not relying on those muscles. For me, it ended up being that I was doing exercises that SHOULD have been helping the spot I injured, but other muscles were chiming in and trying to compensate for the injured spot? Not entirely sure. Either way, after wearing it for 3 months, I didn't have to wear it anymore. I'm over a year out and now I'm only lounging in bed to get ready to sleep.

Otherwise, yeah. They're just a marketing scam.

The one I own was purchased to help me increase activity while recovering from a disc injury in my lower back. My posture definitely improved and I was able to walk more without pain while healing.
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Y'all are so clever. But for real, don't do it.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I see the ads for the neoprene type ones that proudly show all the sweat, I can't help but think of all the bugs and fungus brewing in those things eeewww.