Women weighing about 220lbs - How many calories are you aiming for?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10. Weighing in at 271. Based on my goal my calories for the day are 2030. I'm not sure what you mean by "eating" exercise calories? Could someone explain? Most days I stay between 1600 - 1800 calories.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    So at some point I used a nutritional calculator and it told me in order to lose weight I should aim for 1400 calories a day. Does that seem right to you?

Seems low to me but I'm 5'6" and was only aiming to lose a pound a week. If you are shorter and have a more aggressive weekly weight loss goal, your number would be different.

Why complicate things? Just plug your stats into MFP, choose a weekly weight loss goal appropriate for the number of pounds you want to lose total, and experiment with what percent of your exercise calories you can safely eat back.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I started at 208#, 5'2 and my starting calorie amount was 1310, and has decreased to 1270 with weight loss and calculations for 1.5 lb a week loss. If you're short and sedentary, 1400 doesn't sound too low to me personally. I do add about 80-90% (sometimes 100%) of my exercise calories, and will average closer to 1400-1600 some days.

And as an edit, I'm losing between 1-2 lbs a week on average, about where I should be.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and started at 256lbs. MFP gave me 1250 calories for 2lbs per week weight loss. Considering how overweight I was, I should have started with .5 lbs per week loss and enjoyed those extra calories. I ended up with a pretty significant vitamin D deficiency. I feel like I would have had close to the same success without the feeling yuckiness part. Maybe start with the highest # of calories while you adjust to weighing your foods and stuff, and then adjust according to how you feel and your rate of loss.
  • LeahMaria85
    LeahMaria85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how active you are and also how tall you are. I'm 5'11" and weigh 230. I'm eating between 1500-1600 calories per day and I'm losing every week.
  • sarah4284
    sarah4284 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    At about 225 right now, I'm current at just under 1600 calories a day, to lose 2lbs a week. I set mine as lightly active, don't work out but am on my feet between 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week and some extra walking on weekends, the calorie goal it gives me as I update my weight has been very accurate for losing around 2lbs a week for months now.
  • ursulastrong
    ursulastrong Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1200 for me and getting results.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to be dense here, but doesn't MFP calculate this for you in the settings?

(Generally, set for sedintary, 1 lb per week loss, and be honest about your height/weight.)
  • littlecrunchy190
    littlecrunchy190 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Correct, and it sets other macros as well but those are not what I am using either!
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", and eat about 1300/day. Getting great results and not often hungry. I'm very sedentary because of health issues though, so ymmv.
  • nurseratchet46
    nurseratchet46 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HI,Im 5 2 1/2 at 265 lbs....my cals are at 1690..for 2 lbs loss a week...I lost 3 the first week...also Im on a fat burner,and started working out today at the gym....I have to go very slow,because of a back injury and osteoarthritis in my knees.....I have a trainer for a month so this helps.......Ive been sticking to my diet very well.....so far so good....I see my belly fat going way down,and fat loss on my flanks....so im very excited...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm around 235 just now, I am quite tall too (5'8") and eating 1600 plus all my exercise cals. 1400 should be fairly sustainable if you eat back at least some exercise cals.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Look at the Zig Zag diet
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Correct, and it sets other macros as well but those are not what I am using either!

I have always found that following the calorie goals produced the about the predicted results (weight maintenance, gain, loss). It sounds like this may not be true for people posting to this thread. Is that the case?
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I have always found that following the calorie goals produced the about the predicted results (weight maintenance, gain, loss). It sounds like this may not be true for people posting to this thread. Is that the case?

When I first started I put in I wanted to loose 2lb a week at sedentary level and it gave me 1200 calories (I didn't stay like this for longer than a week I think). For a 5'10 woman that is ridiculous. I wouldn't even be that low if I was in a coma. For shorter women, the goals tend to be more accurate.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Think I was eating around 2250 at that weight (losing approx 1.5lb/week), mind I still eat around the same now (169lb), just don't lose anywhere near as much, what can I say I like to eat
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    People will be able to help more if you give a bit more info such as your activity level, your height, your current weight and how much you are hoping to lose each week.
  • jessicaaxo25
    jessicaaxo25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 209 lbs and have 1400-1500 calories per day, low carb, moderate protein and high fat. I don't have any sugar and drink lots of water. So far I have lost 9lbs in a week! No working out other then daily 30 min walks with my kids.
  • jessicaaxo25
    jessicaaxo25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    205 lbs***