Keto and calories

Options
I've heard some people don't have a calorie restriction while on keto. I'm wondering what others on keto set their calories to? Mines currently at 1480 but I'm constantly eating about 1600? Is this too much?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you are doing Keto and losing weight you are restricting calories.

Keto is not magic.

If you are not losing weight than that intake is too much; assuming that is an accurate logging of calories...
  • maribinyc
    maribinyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard of weight loss without calorie restriction while on a ketogenic diet. However, I'm keeping my calories under 1200 per day and carbs under 30. I'm consistently losing about 2 lbs. per week. I'm over 50, though, so my calorie needs are probably less than the average woman of a younger age.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    maribi64 wrote: »
    I've heard of weight loss without calorie restriction while on a ketogenic diet. However, I'm keeping my calories under 1200 per day and carbs under 30. I'm consistently losing about 2 lbs. per week. I'm over 50, though, so my calorie needs are probably less than the average woman of a younger age.

Actually you have not heard of it bc it is impossible....
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Some people can be on keto and not count calories - just count carbs. That indirectly restricts calories.
  • gracehalsted
    gracehalsted Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've heard some people don't have a calorie restriction while on keto. I'm wondering what others on keto set their calories to? Mines currently at 1480 but I'm constantly eating about 1600? Is this too much?

I can lose weight eating 1600 calories net but if you are considerably shorter than me (I'm 5'6") it may not be so easy for you.

What's your age, height, current weight, and goal weight?

Being keto may help some people maintain a calorie deficit, but it's the deficit that's important, not the keto.

CRaP3-1024x853.jpg

I am 5'9 I was 220 and now I'm 152 pounds and 18 years old. My goal weight is around 145 and I eat around 5g of carbs a day.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    When I lost on keto, I was eating generally 1350 calories/day plus I would eat back about 1/2-2/3 of my exercise calories. I'm 5'7" and had 20 lbs to lose. (Took me about 3 months.)
  • ballster_7
    ballster_7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I can lose weight eating 1600 calories net but if you are considerably shorter than me (I'm 5'6") it may not be so easy for you.

What's your age, height, current weight, and goal weight?

Being keto may help some people maintain a calorie deficit, but it's the deficit that's important, not the keto.

CRaP3-1024x853.jpg

I am 5'9 I was 220 and now I'm 152 pounds and 18 years old. My goal weight is around 145 and I eat around 5g of carbs a day.

Hi can you tell me what your at throughout the day to only consume 5 grams of carbs?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »

Some people can be on keto and not count calories - just count carbs. That indirectly restricts calories.

This. It's just like how people can do a variety of other styles of eating that may lead to calorie restriction without counting. I'm doing LCHF now, however, and could definitely go over my calories easily if I did not watch them. The benefit is that for me right now it's easier to stick to them too.

Are you losing? I'm 5'3 and lost most of my weight at around 1600, but I was somewhat active. I'm doing 1500 now to lose the last few lbs. Given that you are only 18, though, I'd bet 1600 is not going to be a problem for you and that you will lose fine.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

You have heard of weight loss without calorie counting, not restriction. People like to think because they aren't counting their calories they aren't restricting them for some reason. Can't lose weight without the restriction.