Deficit: how big is too big?

Options
nikkipoooo
nikkipoooo Posts: 33 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I am obese... 5'4", 238lbs. I'm currently working with a trainer once a week and going to the gym or doing a longer walk/jog 3-4 more times each week. I've been pretty good about keeping my calorie deficit to around 1000-1100 calories a day.

I'm finding that when I have a very active day (like yesterday, when I spent 4 hours pushing a stroller around the zoo and then did my scheduled cardio, plus an extra push because I felt good and I really wanted to try running a mile without stopping for the first time) I wind up with a much larger deficit. I tend to work out at night, so I would have to eat those extra calories when I'm not really hungry.

Should I force myself to eat those 200-500 calories, or is it okay to be in the 1300-1500 range for my deficit once a week or so?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Do you mean the deficit from maintenance or your intake? You should be eating minimum 1200 calories after exercise, if not the goal MFP gives you. For a deficit, at your size 1000 calories below maintenance is probably fine.
  • kiiibbb112253
    kiiibbb112253 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's all about how you feel. MFP sets the limit to 1200 because they don't want to encourage under eating. If you feel fine, go for it. Just be sure to look put for the signs your body is telling you. If you get hungry, eat. Besides that, keep doing what you are doing and remain consistent :)
  • nikkipoooo
    nikkipoooo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Do you mean the deficit from maintenance or your intake? You should be eating minimum 1200 calories after exercise, if not the goal MFP gives you. For a deficit, at your size 1000 calories below maintenance is probably fine.

I usually eat 1200-1500 calories a day, maybe a little less on rest days. My calculated bmr is 1755 and my exercise calories (calculated by my Polar Loop tracker, paired with a chest strap hrm during workouts) are typically between 500-850.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Instead of picking on the deficit as you'll hear plenty on aiming for at least 1200 net, I would keep track of your loss and see if it is too rapid. I get that you're obese, so 2-3lb a week losses for the next month or so won't be abnormal at first, but once you hit closer to the 190-200's, you should be averaging between 1-2lbs a week. Eat more if the loss is too rapid, and at such a short height and low calorie limit, you need to be careful with accurate counting to prevent undereating (and over).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Consult a pro (doc or nutritionalist) if you haven't yet.

I'm thinking that more important than your deficit is that you consistently eat some minimum amount of calories from quality foods. I don't know what that is, maybe 1500kcals?

You don't have to lose weight at any particular rate, right?