Where am I going wrong?

Options
I decided for a lifestyle change not a diet..
5 weeks ago I was 17st 4, always used to skip breakfast and have takeaways 4 days a week, working long hours wasn't helping.
Iv changed my job and am making time for breakfast and have cut the takeaways out to 1 a week. Lunchtime is my biggest meal, something or nothing light for tea after the gym. I scan absolutely everything I eat, everything! Iv joined a local gym and am going 4-5 times a week, often 30 mins gym followed by 45-60 minutes swimming. First 2 weeks I went down to 16st 8, i got on the scales this morning and I'm 16st 11?!

Most importantly I can feel a difference, even simple things like my breathing as I smoker iv cut them down by 2 thirds. Although it's only a tiny amount in comparison to what I need to loose, I know it's not a quick fix but is this usual or am I doing something wrong?

I felt like I was doing so well as I'm feeling great but putting back on weight has knocked my confidence

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    New exercise will cause your body to retain water to repair the muscles. This can last awhile, some people report up to 8 weeks. Keep doing things right. You'll get there!

00jrrs25rr6e.jpg
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Also, where are you in your cycle? Week before TOM, I can see an 8lb jump, easy.
    You'll see it repeated here a lot, weight loss isn't linear.
    And that chart above is gold.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yep, new exercise will do it for sure. I'm up on the scale as well and I'm a week into my new exercise which involves some strength training. TOM is another huge culprit...some women gain at ovulation and again when TOM starts...either way it's just water and will drop off eventually:) As long as you know your tracking is accurate (weighing and logging foods) then it's just a waiting game:)
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal. If you're a daily weigher, if suggest a trend app to see your overall progress, and if you have a fitbit, compare the weekly averages to see a small trend there as well.