Calories from steps

Options
I use my phone to count my steps each day with the goal of hitting 10k, which I do regularly. I sync the counter with MFP. My question is, should I eat back some of those calories?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    You can eat back your calories from any type of exercise.

Personally, I don't eat them all back because I find the calorie "expenditure" to generally be inflated. But I know many people on here eat back all their exercise calories (whatever type of exercise it is) and continue to lose. Experiment. Eat them all back. Stop losing? Eat only 3/4 of them back. And so on until you find your sweet spot.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    It depends where you set your activity level. If you set it on "sedentary", then you can add some of those steps as exercise. But if you are set at "lightly active" or "active", then probably not.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them back. I would probably do it by "converting" those steps to distance (if you don't know your own average stride length then assume 2,000 steps = 1 mile) and then taking 1/3 my body weight in calories. This will probably underestimate slightly (it doesn't account for hills or stairs) but that's in line with losing weight.
  • kevin_montgomery
    kevin_montgomery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am set on sedentary. I think I will wait until I start my workout routine before I start eating back exercise cals. I never eat back the cals from walking, but I wanted to be sure that I had them there for a buffer if I was really struggling. Extra walking does not seem to add to my appetite, I was just curious. Thanks for the replies.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my step calories back. In fact, I unsynced my Misfit with MFP because it was messing up my calorie counts so bad. I ended up gaining 5#'s back of what I'd lost because I didn't realize what was happening. Now, when I add my exercise to MFP, I just automatically say I did less. If I walk 3mi at a vigorous speed then I say I walked 2.5mi/hour. That way I'm already cutting back how many calories I'm eating back from exercise. If I said I went 3mi/hour it gives me like an extra hundred calories or something like that. So I do my "cutting back on exercise calories eaten" by entering in less exercise then I actually did.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah fitbit gives me way to many calories burned,I'd be gigantic if I ate them all back
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Walking can be a great way to burn some extra calories without a massive increase in appetite.

If you have MFP set for a 2lb/week weight loss goal already AND you're getting all those steps in, consider eating at least 50% of the calories back. You can save them up over the course of the week for a treat/weekend meal if you don't want to eat them the day you earn them.

Creating too large of a deficit can be really hard on the body - it's important to give yourself enough fuel!

~Lyssa
  • JohnWelssh
    JohnWelssh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eating back your burnt Calories seems counterproductive if your aim is to loose weight.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    JohnWelssh wrote: »
    Eating back your burnt Calories seems counterproductive if your aim is to loose weight.

^^This. Except if you run a half marathon that day or something. But if you're walking a mere 2 miles or lifting for 20 minutes, don't eat those back unless you're wanting to maintain or lose at a snail pace.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat back those earned from intentional exercise, if I am hungry.
    If I had a busy day running around and got an extra handful, I don't worry about it.
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my walking calories, or even my exercise calories but I like knowing that they are there if I need a little bit more substance. For example if I want a protein shake after exercise :) I do try not to make a habit of it, I'm still struggling at the mo with this but I'll get there in the end!
  • mikelombardo078
    mikelombardo078 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For myself I just keep mfp set as sedentary and let fitbit do it's thing as far as measuring my activity level since it always changes a little but no where near sedentary. I then eat most of my adjustment. I tried not to eat any adjustments in the beginning but was miserable. We always burn calories and the more we move the more we burn so please eat!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JohnWelssh wrote: »

Purposeful exercise of any kind is not factored into your calorie goal, so not counter-productive at all.

NEAT (determined by gender, age, height, weight & chosen non-exercise activity level - CALORIE DEFICIT (determined by weight loss rate) = CALORIE GOAL

CALORIE GOAL + CALORIES BURNED THROUGH EXERCISE = TOTAL CALORIE GOAL FOR DAY

As mentioned by other posters, the accuracy can be questionable if using MFP's database, machine readings and some fitness trackers, however you can start out eating 50% of calories burned and reviewing weight loss progress after a month and adjust as necessary. I've found my own tracker to be spot on (Garmin Vivoactive HR) and eat back all of my calorie adjustment, still losing at my expected rate.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I only get extra calories from steps when I exceed a ton of steps. I'm not exactly clear on how it all works,

If you have a tracker/step app synced, it gives you X amount of steps per day for the activity level you have set MFP to, once you have exceeded that amount of steps you then receive additional calories. If you have negative adjustments enabled and you're not reaching the number of steps for your activity level it will also give you a negative calorie adjustment.

For example if I have myself set to Lightly Active MFP expects me to register around 5000 steps per day, if I stayed in bed all day then it would deduct calories from my goal. If I hit 10000 steps then it will give me a calorie adjustment for the 5000 extra steps that I've done because the first 5000 are already accounted for in my calorie goal.

• justjoyriding
    justjoyriding Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have switched from using my Apple watch to a Jawbone for activity. The Apple watch used to give me 30-60 calories positive adjustment per day, whereas my Jawbone gives me 400-600 per day. That makes me very hesitant to use those extra calories. How do I know which one is correct when they are so vastly different?