Calories burned - strength training

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
The Fitnesspal system seems to only count cardio calories as calories burned. Is it really that few burned by strength training?

I workout at Barry's Bootcamp and each workout is 1 hour. I am terrified of logging too many calories, so I have just settled at 300, which I get from the treadmill. Thing is, when the strength training is really hard, I get super hungry the rest of the day.

Today was thighs and butt, and I could really feel my butt burning. I've had my complete protein target, gone over on fats (all good fats) and had some grains as well, and I am still hungry.

I must have burned some on strength training? Or is it just a little wasteful when it comes to burning fat?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Search for strength training under cardio to get a burn estimation. But you're right, it's probably not that much. I always log 100-150 calories for lifting.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not wasteful, aside from simulating the muscles and maintaining them through cutting fat off, you also burn calories while doing them and AFTER doing them aka (after burn recovery) don't you feel your heart beating fast during workouts? In 1hour workout you would burn around 200-400 depends on your weight and intensity of course but you could burn just the same amount while doing 20minutes HIIT cardio, cardio is superior in fatloss but that doesn't mean strength training burns no calories at all, it does but in a smaller rate, hope this helps.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Strength training calories are not recorded in MFP because they cannot be measured accurately, not because the number is insignificant.

If you are hungry, eat something.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    I use 120 cals/hr for lifting including bet set rest periods of usually 3 min/set (but excluding bet lift rest/set up times of 10-15 mins).
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If it helps , I know Fitbit isn't perfect but on days I strength train my total calories burned throughout the day are always 100-200 higher not including the workout. I'm a small person but I do think you just passively burn more throughout the day after you strength train. Eat if you are hungry