Calories from steps

Options
2»

Replies

• RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, it all depends whether you're hungry, I wouldn't force myself to eat back calories if you're not hungry, my calorie goal is set to 1370 but I burn about 500 a day so I tend to eat around a total of 1700 so my net is around 1200, but I tend to plan my meals ahead so I can figure out how much to burn so I can make sure my net is around 1200, I tend to lose an average of 2lbs per week but that's just me personally, you may have a higher or lower daily calorie goal than me and different goals.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    I have switched from using my Apple watch to a Jawbone for activity. The Apple watch used to give me 30-60 calories positive adjustment per day, whereas my Jawbone gives me 400-600 per day. That makes me very hesitant to use those extra calories. How do I know which one is correct when they are so vastly different?

You will be able to determine accuracy by comparing the weight loss rate you're actually seeing with the weight loss rate you have set in your MFP settings. If you were seeing a higher loss with the apple watch then it may not have been accurate.

What sort of exercise are you doing to burn 400-600 and what are your stats (age,weight, height)
  • justjoyriding
    justjoyriding Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For now I am keeping to the same calories because I'm averaging 1.64 per week. I've got about 23 left for my first goal, then I'll decide whether I want to keep the same rate or bring it down to .5 to 1 per week, which might happen naturally at a lower weight anyway.

I'm just curious why it is so different and if anybody has an experience with the two devices or has heard anything. I was thinking the Jawbone is a little closer to accurate since losing that extra .64 is about 320 calories more deficit per day, but I'm enjoying losing the extra amount so I'm leaving it alone for now.

I use Dance Dance Revolution for my main source of aerobic activity and only about 30 minutes a day, so I end up with about 10,000 steps throughout the whole day, including the dancing. I don't add any extra exercise.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    It may just be the settings you had in your apple watch that had you at a higher activity level and therefore a lower calorie adjustment. Keep an eye on the weight loss rate and just adjust as necessary, especially if you find yourself hungrier than normal.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I ignore my calories burned and just try to eat the number of calories I am allocated for my age, height, weight and fitness level. Knowing that I can go over occasionally for a treat or a night out b/c of calories burned helps me to not feel overly devastated when I hit that red bar of shame.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I ignore my calories burned and just try to eat the number of calories I am allocated for my age, height, weight and fitness level. Knowing that I can go over occasionally for a treat or a night out b/c of calories burned helps me to not feel overly devastated when I hit that red bar of shame.

The red number isn't a red bar of shame :lol: and if you're only just over your calorie goal you'd still be in a deficit, it can be helpful to understand your numbers, either by looking at the maintenance option in MFP or by using a TDEE calculator. It's also worth looking at your calorie deficit over the week, a lot of people "bank" calories during the week for a weekend or for an occasion.

For example my calorie goal is 1600 (I've manually adjusted this), my TDEE at sedentary is 2150 so my goal gives me a 550 deficit per day, if I was to be -200 calories in MFP, I'm still in a 350 calorie deficit and would still lose weight just at a slightly slower rate or at the same rate if I was under by 200 calories later in the week.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have switched from using my Apple watch to a Jawbone for activity. The Apple watch used to give me 30-60 calories positive adjustment per day, whereas my Jawbone gives me 400-600 per day. That makes me very hesitant to use those extra calories. How do I know which one is correct when they are so vastly different?

I've seen a LOT of threads in the feedback forum about the Apple watch and iPhone step tracker calorie adjustments. Many of the users have been reporting that the calorie burn is far below what it used to be and is no longer accurate for them.

Assuming your Jawbone is similar to a Fitbit, it will take some time to "get to know you."

You might want to eat back half of those calories for 4-6 weeks and see how things go. If you're gaining weight, you'll know the numbers are wrong then!

~Lyssa
  • kevin_montgomery
    kevin_montgomery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The problem is, I do not trust the tracker app on my phone. The numbers I get from my step tracker do not seem to match the numbers I get when I google cals burned for the steps I take. I am not starving myself. I think I will adjust from sedentary to light activity if I find I am struggling with appetite. Thanks for all of the tips everyone.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    You can eat back your calories from any type of exercise.

Personally, I don't eat them all back because I find the calorie "expenditure" to generally be inflated. But I know many people on here eat back all their exercise calories (whatever type of exercise it is) and continue to lose. Experiment. Eat them all back. Stop losing? Eat only 3/4 of them back. And so on until you find your sweet spot.

This is really good advice. I sometimes eat back my calories if I'm exceptionally hungry but the next day it seems to balance out because I find that those hungry days don't hit me all of the time (thank god). Use your judgement and eat back some to see if you are still able to lose weight and adjust accordingly.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Follow this chart:
    bg3o20tqm6jv.jpg
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    You can eat back your calories from any type of exercise.
    Personally, I don't eat them all back because I find the calorie "expenditure" to generally be inflated. But I know many people on here eat back all their exercise calories (whatever type of exercise it is) and continue to lose. Experiment. Eat them all back. Stop losing? Eat only 3/4 of them back. And so on until you find your sweet spot.

As @LAWoman72 and others have said it's a Science Experiment and you are the Study Subject.
    Most of the MFP pre-defined calorie burns appear to be higher than other sources.
    So do the experiment, eat back 3/4 or 1/2 of the estimated Calories Burned for at least a 3-4 week period and then analyze and adjust. It's important to do it over a longer time period as we all have natural body rhythm fluctuations that will affect our weight.

Also added links to some good reads in the Stickies

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300312/most-helpful-posts-food-and-nutrition-must-reads#latest

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/a-beginners-guide-to-your-metabolism/

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/quick-easy-guide-creating-calorie-deficit/