Knee and shin pain when running

Options
My shins usually hurt first and then my knees will hurt and stay sore for the day. How can I help this? I don't run quickly, it's really just a slow jog. I want to do C25K but I'm afraid of the pain. Any ideas?

Replies

• Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hey, You may be able to tell I am a runner by my profile pic.

This recommendation starts with visiting a proper running shop to get your gait, strike and stride assessed. Once that is done, they'll recommend a shoe for you... If you say you don't care about the brand, they will give you the BEST shoe for you.

Reduce to fast walks until the shins ease off, then start from scratch.

Then follow this:

Week one
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Week two
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then alternate 90 seconds of running with two minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Week three
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then two repetitions of 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, three minutes of running and three minutes of walking.

Week four
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then three minutes of running, 90 seconds of walking, five minutes of running, two-and-a-half minutes of walking, three minutes of running, 90 seconds of walking and five minutes of running.

Week five
    There are three different workouts for this week, which are:
    Workout one: a brisk five-minute walk, then five minutes of running, three minutes of walking, five minutes of running, three minutes of walking and five minutes of running.
    Workout two: a brisk five-minute walk, then eight minutes of running, five minutes of walking and eight minutes of running.
    Workout three: a brisk five-minute walk, then 20 minutes of running, with no walking.

Week six
    Workout one: a brisk five-minute walk, then five minutes of running, three minutes of walking, eight minutes of running, three minutes of walking and five minutes of running.
    Workout two: a brisk five-minute walk, then 10 minutes of running, three minutes of walking and 10 minutes of running.
    Workout three: a brisk five-minute walk, then 25 minutes of running with no walking.

Week seven
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then 25 minutes running.

Week eight
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then 28 minutes of running.

Week nine
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then 30 minutes of running.

Tips on progression

The programme is designed for beginners to gradually build up their running ability, so that they can run 5K without stopping.

The pace of the nine-week running plan has been tried and tested by thousands of new runners, so you can trust the programme.

You can, however, repeat any one of the weeks until you feel physically ready to move on to the next week.

Structure is important for motivation, so try to allocate specific days of the week for your runs, and stick to them.

Rest days are critical. A rest day inbetween each run will reduce your chance of injury and also make you a stronger, better runner.
    Resting allows your joints to recover from what is a high-impact exercise and your running muscles to repair and strengthen.

Alternatively, you could do Strength and Flex on your rest days. This is a five-week plan designed to improve your strength and flexibility, which will help your running.

Some new runners starting the programme experience calf pain or sore shins (sometimes known as shin splints).

Such aches can be caused by running on hard surfaces or by running in shoes that do not have enough foot and ankle support.

Always do the the five-minute warm-up walks as instructed before each run, and check that your running shoes are offering good support.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What's your weight at the moment? Do you have new running shoes or worn out ones?

I would suggest slow right down. When I first started running, I did too much too fast and I had shin pain in my left leg. I stopped running for the moment and would just cycle. Build up slowly. Stick with walking for now at the moment and focus on other exercises that are low impact like swimming, elliptical etc. Then try again later.
  • beesgetout
    beesgetout Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Hey, You may be able to tell I am a runner by my profile pic.

This recommendation starts with visiting a proper running shop to get your gait, strike and stride assessed. Once that is done, they'll recommend a shoe for you... If you say you don't care about the brand, they will give you the BEST shoe for you.

Reduce to fast walks until the shins ease off, then start from scratch.

Then follow this:

Week one
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Week two
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then alternate 90 seconds of running with two minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.

Week three
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then two repetitions of 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, three minutes of running and three minutes of walking.

Week four
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then three minutes of running, 90 seconds of walking, five minutes of running, two-and-a-half minutes of walking, three minutes of running, 90 seconds of walking and five minutes of running.

Week five
    Workout one: a brisk five-minute walk, then five minutes of running, three minutes of walking, five minutes of running, three minutes of walking and five minutes of running.
    Workout two: a brisk five-minute walk, then eight minutes of running, five minutes of walking and eight minutes of running.
    Workout three: a brisk five-minute walk, then 20 minutes of running, with no walking.

Week six
    Workout one: a brisk five-minute walk, then five minutes of running, three minutes of walking, eight minutes of running, three minutes of walking and five minutes of running.
    Workout two: a brisk five-minute walk, then 10 minutes of running, three minutes of walking and 10 minutes of running.
    Workout three: a brisk five-minute walk, then 25 minutes of running with no walking.

Week seven
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then 25 minutes running.

Week eight
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then 28 minutes of running.

Week nine
    Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then 30 minutes of running.

Tips on progression

The programme is designed for beginners to gradually build up their running ability, so that they can run 5K without stopping.

The pace of the nine-week running plan has been tried and tested by thousands of new runners, so you can trust the programme.

You can, however, repeat any one of the weeks until you feel physically ready to move on to the next week.

Structure is important for motivation, so try to allocate specific days of the week for your runs, and stick to them.

Rest days are critical. A rest day inbetween each run will reduce your chance of injury and also make you a stronger, better runner.
    Resting allows your joints to recover from what is a high-impact exercise and your running muscles to repair and strengthen.

Alternatively, you could do Strength and Flex on your rest days. This is a five-week plan designed to improve your strength and flexibility, which will help your running.

Some new runners starting the programme experience calf pain or sore shins (sometimes known as shin splints).

Such aches can be caused by running on hard surfaces or by running in shoes that do not have enough foot and ankle support.

Always do the the five-minute warm-up walks as instructed before each run, and check that your running shoes are offering good support.

I did the store thing and they sent me with a pair of Brooks. Is strength and flex a program I can find?
  • beesgetout
    Options
    goldenday wrote: »
    What's your weight at the moment? Do you have new running shoes or worn out ones?

I would suggest slow right down. When I first started running, I did too much too fast and I had shin pain in my left leg. I stopped running for the moment and would just cycle. Build up slowly. Stick with walking for now at the moment and focus on other exercises that are low impact like swimming, elliptical etc. Then try again later.

New shoes! I was thinking of using the elliptical too. Do you think alternating days between that and the treadmill would help?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    To reduce shin pain from running

After running
    1. Foam roll the shins
    2. Stretch(Kneel... toes pointed back... lean back gently.)
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I too have been suffering knee pain after running so watching this thread for information.

I'm a little confused though - whilst most advice would be to slow right down, I've heard that you should actually speed up so that your cadence is about 180 to avoid over striding? How can you slow right down and have a high cadence without taking 2 inch steps?!!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »
    I too have been suffering knee pain after running so watching this thread for information.

I'm a little confused though - whilst most advice would be to slow right down, I've heard that you should actually speed up so that your cadence is about 180 to avoid over striding? How can you slow right down and have a high cadence without taking 2 inch steps?!!!

Knee pain frequently comes from having weak/"lazy" glutes and "tight" hips.

• katbarnes23
    katbarnes23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add mileage slowly. Too much too soon can surely lead to shin splints and other uncomfortable issues. I've been going to PT for inflammation in my knees - all of my PT focuses on glutes and hips! You can do a quick search online for ideas, but building strength there will absolutely help with knee problems!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I get knee pain when exercising (age-related arthritis most likely cause). It has got a bit better as I got fitter, I also use kinesology tape on my knees before a major workout (from Amazon, too expensive in Boots!)
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    beesgetout wrote: »
    goldenday wrote: »

New shoes! I was thinking of using the elliptical too. Do you think alternating days between that and the treadmill would help?

Yes hopefully ^^ . I try to alternate as well. The main thing is just consistency, you will slowly get faster and stronger just keep at it!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    There's a couple things to try.

First, you've already got the shoes so good for you. Since you got them from a specialty store, you may want to go back in and explain what is happening. They may have advice or may work with the shoes they sold you (or replace them).

Be sure to take days off between runs. Rest is the most important part of training (and the part many skip).

Don't be too concerned about 180 steps per minute. While it is a good goal, you need to to a few things to get there. Just trying to step quicker does not work. It is really about form. Your body should be aligned upright when you run (don't lean at the waist). You feet should land under you, not out in front. Swing your arms parallel with your legs (or as close as you can get). And take it easy.

It takes time for you body to adapt to running. Your lungs will get there much faster than you legs. Be patient and follow the plan. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you have to.

Good luck.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    last night I decided to heed some advice and raised the treadmill incline to 2%.

I managed 2 miles (previously only managed half a mile before pain set in) and I have woken up pain free.
  • beesgetout
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied!