Always hungry

Options
I have a 1200 calorie goal and I am always hungry, especially at night. I don't give in but what a crappy feeling!

Anybody else experiences this?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sure do if I am not eating enough food.

Just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean hunger has to be an ever present thing.

couple questions...

weekly weight loss goal?
    total weight loss goal?
  • cahubbard6421
    cahubbard6421 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yeah but I have far more calories than that. My 2100 aren't enough.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'd be hangry on 1200 calories per day. You may be able to eat more and still lose weight, @Jolenepiche. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How old? How active?

I'm 42 years old, 5'9", 170 lbs, and am losing slowly and steadily on 1930 calories a day. And I'm very rarely starving (and that's usually PMS related).
  • Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options

SezxyStef wrote: »

Just because you are trying to lose weight doesn't mean hunger has to be an ever present thing.

couple questions...

weekly weight loss goal?
    total weight loss goal?

Well, if I lost 1-2 pounds a week I would be satisfied. In total I want to lose 30 pounds.

• quiksylver296
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

couple questions...

weekly weight loss goal?
    total weight loss goal?

Well, if I lost 1-2 pounds a week I would be satisfied. In total I want to lose 30 pounds.

What is your MFP profile set at? 1 lb per week or 2?

1 lb per week loss is a 500 calorie deficit per day.
    2 lbs per week loss is a 1000 calorie deficit per day.

With 30 lbs to lose, you should not be set at 2 lbs per week. 0.5 to 1 lb per week is more reasonable.
  • Jolenepiche
    Options
    I'd be hangry on 1200 calories per day. You may be able to eat more and still lose weight, @Jolenepiche. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How old? How active?

I'm 42 years old, 5'9", 170 lbs, and am losing slowly and steadily on 1930 calories a day. And I'm very rarely starving (and that's usually PMS related).

Hangry is an understatement!

I'm 40 and 5'5. I weight 183 and would like to hit 155 . I train muay thai 3 times a week and hit the gym for weights 2-3 times. I also go for random runs 1-2 weeks. I would say i am active but I could do more cardio. I just don't want to spend 2 hours at the gym everyday.

Maybe more efficient workout could work and getting a trainer... so many questions.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at 1,200 calories?
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Seems like 1200 isn't enough for you if you're this active!
  • Jolenepiche
    Options
    How long have you been at 1,200 calories?

It has been a month. Scale isn't moving, i'm frustrated and hungry. I push through but damn... i just had breakfast and could easily go for another plate.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To be fair- some hunger is to be expected.

It's jus the nature of the beast. But you shouldn't' be starving. ALL. the time.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Hangry is an understatement!

I'm 40 and 5'5. I weight 183 and would like to hit 155 . I train muay thai 3 times a week and hit the gym for weights 2-3 times. I also go for random runs 1-2 weeks. I would say i am active but I could do more cardio. I just don't want to spend 2 hours at the gym everyday.

Maybe more efficient workout could work and getting a trainer... so many questions.

IMO 1200 calories is not enough. A range that seems to work pretty well is weight x 12 - 14 calories per day.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would think the hunger pangs would have subsided some after a month. Have you tried eating more salads, greens, carrots, cukes, etc.? I'm thinking something filling but with low calories.

Are you noticing you're getting stronger from the workouts? Are your clothes getting a little loose? Do you see a difference in how your body appears? One of the things that might be skewing the scale is you're gaining lean muscle which weighs more than fat. So although you don't see the change on the scale, you might see it in the mirror.
  • Jolenepiche
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    To be fair- some hunger is to be expected.

It's jus the nature of the beast. But you shouldn't' be starving. ALL. the time.

I totally understand that. I get it and i'm ok with it to some extent but this past week has been hell. I am hungry all day... i go to bed and my stomach growls!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Are you eating exercise calories?

I find extra cardio unnecessary especially if you aren't eating some exercise calories- all that exercise is just going to make you hungry!

And, go for a 1 pound a week loss. Eating 1200 not only doesn't fill you up, but it gives you little wiggle room.
  • Jolenepiche
    Options
    I would think the hunger pangs would have subsided some after a month. Have you tried eating more salads, greens, carrots, cukes, etc.? I'm thinking something filling but with low calories.

Are you noticing you're getting stronger from the workouts? Are your clothes getting a little loose? Do you see a difference in how your body appears? One of the things that might be skewing the scale is you're gaining lean muscle which weighs more than fat. So although you don't see the change on the scale, you might see it in the mirror.

To be honest I feel less bloated but that's about it. I feel better as a whole, more energy and I sleep better which, for me is amazing. I am happy about those results, however, this journey is about losing 30 pounds. I am patient and committed so I am open to trying new workouts or food.

I do eat tons of veggies... and I do have fruits. Maybe I should swap some fruits with veggies, good idea
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jolene, I entered your stats into scoobysworkshop.com, and got these numbers. BMR is the number of calories you would need if you were bedridden, zero activity/exercise. The bottom number is the amount you would need to lose approximately 0.5 to 1 lb per week. The difference with these numbers, rather than MFP's numbers, is you would NOT eat back exercise calories. If your exercise is not sporadic, about 2000 calories per day (weighed on a food scale, so you're sure you are actually eating that many) is a realistic goal. You could drop it to about 1700-1800 calories if 2000 freaks you out.

40d8ltejb3ux.jpg
  • Jolenepiche
    Options
    Jolene, I entered your stats into scoobysworkshop.com, and got these numbers. BMR is the number of calories you would need if you were bedridden, zero activity/exercise. The bottom number is the amount you would need to lose approximately 0.5 to 1 lb per week. The difference with these numbers, rather than MFP's numbers, is you would NOT eat back exercise calories. If your exercise is not sporadic, about 2000 calories per day (weighed on a food scale, so you're sure you are actually eating that many) is a realistic goal. You could drop it to about 1700-1800 calories if 2000 freaks you out.

40d8ltejb3ux.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much!

• anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1200 is fine for your weight/age/goals. I've been doing 1200 for 100 days now and have lost about 25 pounds doing very moderate exercise (I'm 5'6", 38 years old, starting weight of 178, goal of 134, currently at 153). The thing about 1200 calories is that you don't want to exercise too hard. Keep it moderate. Like a 45 minute walk and a half hour of something like dance fitness or tabata or a strength workout. Nothing super intense or crazy, or you will be ravenously hungry. Feel free to check out my diary and see what I've been eating. I'm never hungry. The key to it is getting your macros right. You want high protein so that you don't lose muscle mass during weight loss, and you want to get off the sugar carbs. Eating sugary stuff on 1200 is bound to lead to intense cravings and hunger. You want to shoot for 100-120 g of protein a day--and never less than 85 g. Then make sure you've got 25 g of fiber. Build your meals around making sure you get those things in. Don't worry too much about carb totals, but worry about your sugar totals. Stay under 50 g or thereabouts. Make sure that you supplement with a good multi-vitamin, fish oil capsules, and vitamin D while doing a 1200 calorie regime. Your hunger could be from not getting enough vitamins/minerals, and the fish oil will help your joints stay healthy and free of inflammation due to exercise. And drink water. Fill a 3-4 liter jug with water, keep it in your fridge, and make sure you drink it all every day.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

40d8ltejb3ux.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much!

You're welcome. I still urge you to get and use a food scale, if you aren't. Watch this video. It shows why a food scale is such a valuable tool for weight loss.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,993 Member
    Options
    I agree, logging accurately and eating 1700-1900 is going to work better.

Your body is screaming at you to eat. I would listen, because the next stop is health problems.