5 Small meals a day really effective?

Options
bekah818
bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I started this new thing called 'meal prep'..which isn't really new, I've seed it done and heard of it before. However it's new for me because I just started it for the first time. I cooked for the entire week and plan to eat every 2.5 - 3 hours.. Has any of you tried this and if so has it worked for you in terms of weight loss? Feel free to take a look at my diary to see what I'm eating (I made it public). But just so you know my 5 meals all consist of wholefoods in small portions with the exception of a Protein Shake as my first meal.

As for my activity level, I work out 4-5 days a week doing both strength training and cardio.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    meal timing and frequency has little to do with weight loss - some people find 3 times a day works for them, others 5...personally I graze during the day (my MFP is set up in time blocks rather than meals)
  • bekah818
    Options
    I started this new thing called 'meal prep'..which isn't really new, I've seed it done and heard of it before. However it's new for me because I just started it for the first time. I cooked for the entire week and plan to eat every 2.5 - 3 hours.. Has any of you tried this and if so has it worked for you? Feel free to take a look at my diary to see what I'm eating (I made it public). But just so you know my 5 meals all consist of wholefoods in small portions with the exception of a Protein Shake as my first meal.

As for my activity level, I work out 4-5 days a week doing both strength training and cardio.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is simply a matter of preference. If eating this way helps you maintain a deficit and helps you be consistent......then yes it "works." But if 2 meals or 10 meals helps you do the same thing.....then that "works" too.

Weight loss is about calories, not about timing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I prep my meals in advance to a degree but I don't eat smaller meals across the day. What is important for weight loss is that you calories in are lower than your calories out, the method that you use to do this doesn't matter as long as you have a calorie deficit. However, it's about sustainability, is this something you can see yourself doing long term?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It can work. It can not work. It's about how many calories you eat in a day, and how you feel when you eat that way. Some people like to eat frequently. Some people would rather eat large meals but only twice a day. It's all good, if you eat well and the right amount overall.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating frequent small meals a day. For me eating lunch, dinner and a snack in between works. If I eat breakfast I can get queasy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Worked for what? I find eating that often a PITA, and just leaves me feeling dissatisfied and hungry from such small meals.

I meal prep, but for fewer, bigger meals. Quicker and easier. I also enjoy my food more as I sit down properly to enjoy it at a convenient time, not just shovel it in because it's been 3 hours since I previously ate.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I "lunch prep" I usually alternate for breakfast cereal, oatmeal, eggs or a shake and dinner is whatever fits in macros or I feel like eating. I eat 6 xs a day
    Breakfast between 7-10 am
    Snack 1. between 11-12 pm
    Lunch between 12-2 pm
    Snack 2. between 3-5 pm
    Dinner between 7-9 pm
    Dessert 9-10
    This seems to work for me whatever works for you as long as your eating withing your macros!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. It comes down to personal preference, so if it fits your lifestyle, then great. I'd make room for a treat or two.

One thing looking at your diary, do you have a food scale? I see cups and tbsp. Food scale will be more accurate.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - it's really just about what works for you and keeps you on track with your goals. If that is 5 meals, 3 or even just 1, as long as what you're doing is working for you there really isn't much of a benefit to forcing yourself into a trendy schedule.

Some will argue the whole "keep the furnace fueled" theory, while others will argue " but intermittent fasting!".

Meal prepping in general I find a huge asset to staying on track, when you're hungry you have your healthy goal oriented meals ready to go. You're planning for success, I think that is awesome :)

• bekah818
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I tried this and it just made me starving all day and grumpy. I like to eat a big meal, and 'grazing' all day was like eating appetizers all day, but never getting the entree.

I now do IF, and this suits me much better.

Find what works for you....

Intermittent Fasting? Hmm Interesting. I will try this for now and if it doesn't suit me, I'll look into IF. Thank you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    I started this new thing called 'meal prep'..which isn't really new, I've seed it done and heard of it before. However it's new for me because I just started it for the first time. I cooked for the entire week and plan to eat every 2.5 - 3 hours.. Has any of you tried this and if so has it worked for you in terms of weight loss? Feel free to take a look at my diary to see what I'm eating (I made it public). But just so you know my 5 meals all consist of wholefoods in small portions with the exception of a Protein Shake as my first meal.

Do whatever works for you. Some are less hungry with more frequent meals, others are less hungry with fewer but larger meals.

Personally, I eat anywhere from 4-6 times a day.

ETA: It helps to pre-log your day so you know what you calorie and macro counts will be. If you find you are really hungry mid afternoon, just borrow from dinner or your evening snack. If you find you are not hungry, add the meal you skip to a different one.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you and your budget. I shoot for 5, usually get 4, while my 3 majors are slightly less than what used to be regular meals and my snacks are more. It works for me.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - it's really just about what works for you and keeps you on track with your goals. If that is 5 meals, 3 or even just 1, as long as what you're doing is working for you there really isn't much of a benefit to forcing yourself into a trendy schedule.

Some will argue the whole "keep the furnace fueled" theory, while others will argue " but intermittent fasting!".

Meal prepping in general I find a huge asset to staying on track, when you're hungry you have your healthy goal oriented meals ready to go. You're planning for success, I think that is awesome :)

It comes down to each person's psychophysiology, and what brings him or her optimum satiation such that sufficient, but not excessive calories are consumed...

Ignoring for a moment the benefits of periodic fasting(24-48 hours) for mental, emotional, and physical health. Find what works for you... 3 meals, 4, 5,...10. 1, 1.5, 2.. every 3 hours... or 2 ... or 18.. It's an individual preference that comes solely from how you reach satiety.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's individual - what works for me might not work for you!

I am most successful following intermittent fasting. I don't eat breakfast and I eat lunch around 12-1pm and dinner around 6pm. Those are my only 2 meals of the day - sometimes I will throw in a small snack before bed but that's it.

I like it because I'm able to have a large dinner. I used to NEED breakfast, but I slowly switched over to IF and now my morning hunger is almost non-existent. I start getting hungry around 11am.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »

This is exactly what I do every day except I typically have 6 meals with one being a post-workout protein shake. I've lost 20lbs and I think the eating every few hours has truly helped me. BUT, on that note, everyone is different. Try it out for a month and see how you do. It may or may not work for you but you won't know unless you try.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals and snacks in between, but I am diabetic so I am more concerned about keeping my blood sugar stable.
  • bekah818
    Options
    All of your comments were very helpful! Thank you! :)