Can you eat ANYTHING?

Options
I was wondering has anyone been able to eat anything (junk food included) stay within the suggested calories and still lose weight?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    simple answer : YES I don't deny myself an occasional cookie or brownie or slice of pizza. It helps me stay on track the rest of the time. You need to be flexible.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I do go over the suggested calories for the day I'll do extra cardio to make the deficit or eat lighter on another day. You can eat anything and lose weight if you make the calorie deficit.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I was 30 I weighed 178 with less than 7% body fat and I could literally eat anything I wanted, but I was also working out an insane amount of time, two to three hours per day with a mix of cardio and lifting. As long as you're burning the calories you're consuming you shouldn't gain weight, the problem is when you start getting a calorie surplus.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    u3jbwpdtizju.jpg

I LOVE this!!!!

OP as others have said - what matters for weight loss is that you create a calorie deficit. You can do that eating any foods that you choose. I typically recommend the following approach:

1. Enter accurate stats, activity level, and goal weight in MFP
    2. Select an appropriate rate of loss (if less than 50 lbs to lose - no more than 1 lb/week. If less than 25, no more than 0.5 lb/week)
    3. MFP will calculate a calorie target for you.
    4. Eat a variety of foods up to that calorie target, focusing on those that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety (fills you up), and enjoyment (helps keep you on track to include the foods you love in moderation)
    5. Log everything you eat as honestly and accurately as possible, ideally using a food scale
    6. If you exercise, log and eat back at least a portion of those calories
    7. Be patient. Monitor and adjust after 6-8 weeks.

I lost the weight I set out to lose and never gave up eating things like pizza and ice cream with my family, wine in the evenings, etc. I did focus on eating a balanced diet and incorporating more protein, more vegetables, more exercise, more sleep. By focusing on things I was adding within my calorie target, and not cutting things out, I found I naturally prioritized the things that were good for me and filled me up, while still leaving room for the things that I loved in moderation.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookies (3-4) almost every day. And my vice (Coca Cola), when I have the room in my budget. (I used to drink 5-6 cans per day - had no budget at all).

If I have the budget I eat what I want.

So......

Yes.
  • rrgoswick
    rrgoswick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ON occasion I will have a treat or two when I am really craving it. If I don't then I am more likely to gorge on sweets at a later time. I have learned that I have to be flexible. IF I go over by a small amount one day then I just know I have to try harder from that point on. Usually when I completely restrict myself is usually when I fail.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Cutting sugar, restricting "fun foods", eating very little fat...etc is a recipe for failure. I lost all my baby weight (3 x's) from eating what I like in moderation.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I regularly ate foods that are considered "junk" (I don't find the term very useful myself) when I was losing weight. As long as I hit my calorie goals consistently, I made progress. The trick is measuring your portions accurately (before I was losing weight, my idea of a "serving" of tortilla chips was nothing like what the bag considers a serving for calorie purposes) and knowing foods that you might find harder to moderate. There's no way I personally want to order a plate of french fries and just eat a handful, so I only ordered fries when I knew that I had the calories to eat them. Other people have no problem moderating fries, so it wouldn't be an issue for them.

All you need is a calorie deficit. Some days, especially early on, I would have a food and realize that it wasn't really worth it for the number of calories. Those foods, I usually didn't have again. Some things, like a scoop of freshly made chocolate non-dairy chocolate ice cream or a gin and tonic on a summer night, almost always felt worth it and I had them more frequently.

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As others have said, as long as you're in calorie deficit, you'll lose.

But then it's about how those foods make you feel, or how long they make you feel full for.
    It's quite easy to make 3 decent size meals and two snacks out of, say, 1600 calories if you're using lots of veggies and lean proteins. Sensible carbs and some healthy fats along with the protein will help you feel full for a long time.
    But if you want to eat the 1600 calories in pizza, beer and chocolate, it will look much smaller on the plate, and might leave you either high on sugar or in a post-junk energy slump.

If you're exercising too, it's likely that you'll have more energy if you eat more healthy foods as you'll be better fuelled for your workouts.

Calories are like money I guess. You can spend it wisely on durable, useful goods, or you can spend the same amount of money on something you really really want but doesn't last so long. Or maybe the choice between paying your bills and buying groceries, or blowing your paycheck on amazing new shoes that make you happy for five minutes but leave you feeling regretful for the rest of the month ;)
  • TeacupsAndDeadlifts
    TeacupsAndDeadlifts Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was wondering has anyone been able to eat anything (junk food included) stay within the suggested calories and still lose weight?

I've lost 11% of my bodyweight by eating whatever I want, just staying within my calorie goals.