Shopping for clothes as an older Male

Options
kevinf2380
kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
My wife never tells me what clothes look good on me and I suck at shopping. I usually just buy stuff online and see how it goes. As I've gotten older more of my friends are getting fitted shirts and pants. Even jeans. I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop the money for that yet. Is that what grown ups do or are there other good ways to find out what styles work for you? I've seen those sites where you can have people put together styles for you every month. The reviews of those are pretty bad.

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I like it when my tailor measures my inseam.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Alfani

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Do you dress to the left or the right?

OMG, the old-fashioned terms today. LOL.

OP: I'm not sure what you mean by "older." 60? Beyond there? My husband is in his mid-40s. He tends to find one style that fits him really well and looks great, and get a few pieces in that style, in different colors. Like jeans, for example. He has a certain fit and style he really likes but he did have to go in and try them on first to know.

If you order online, make sure whatever you get is returnable in case it doesn't fit the way you like or look the way you like.

I see people of all ages in all different clothing stores so I don't think our age really matters here...JMO.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options

Do you dress to the left or the right?

Usually to the left. That's near the pocket where I keep my loose coin.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    white new balance tennis shoes thats a must have

With black socks and pastel shorts and shirts.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Older as in 'all grown up now' or older as in 'get off my lawn'?
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    Tommy Bahama shirts
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Dress like the Trivago guy. I mean...my goodness.

Have the body for it, though.
    u7h22ywyufis.jpg

• LAWoman72
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

u7h22ywyufis.jpg

not the trivago india guy hopefully

400x400_MIMAGEfac7f7a8b7d2995a271420a317e10621.jpg

No, sorry. Definitely Tim Williams.

I just want to undo those buttons.

Ooo.

So yeah. Something like that, OP. You're welcome.
  • ClubSilencio
    Options

u7h22ywyufis.jpg

That's the "Married for over 20 years but still getting some side action" shirt. :laugh:

• kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Older as in 'all grown up now' or older as in 'get off my lawn'?

Older like over 40.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I just wear black shirts and denim pants when I am at work or on my motorcycle. I bought 12 black button down long sleeved shirts for work. Exactly the same thing every day. Only difference on my motorcycle is that the shirts are usually short sleeved tees and some have sayings. I just bought a dozen denim pants same style, same color. The only time I dress differently is on vacation or in the summer when I change to shorts and tees. Same tees.

That's the difference between men and women. If I need new shirts, I go on line first. 95% of the time that does it. Occasionally, I'll go to the store, but I go directly to the black shirt rack. No looking around. In and out.

When I go with my wife or daughters and they're shopping, it's a whole different excursion. Kohl's Cash, Coupons, BOGO. Up and down every aisle. Buying stuff that I know half of which will be returned sometime in the future.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I just wear black shirts and denim pants when I am at work or on my motorcycle. I bought 12 black button down long sleeved shirts for work. Exactly the same thing every day. Only difference on my motorcycle is that the shirts are usually short sleeved tees and some have sayings. I just bought a dozen denim pants same style, same color. The only time I dress differently is on vacation or in the summer when I change to shorts and tees. Same tees.

That's the difference between men and women. If I need new shirts, I go on line first. 95% of the time that does it. Occasionally, I'll go to the store, but I go directly to the black shirt rack. No looking around. In and out.

When I go with my wife or daughters and they're shopping, it's a whole different excursion. Kohl's Cash, Coupons, BOGO. Up and down every aisle. Buying stuff that I know half of which will be returned sometime in the future.

this fashion sense is very enticing.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff you have in storage from the early 90's is coming back. Rock it!
  • LAWoman72
    Options

u7h22ywyufis.jpg

That's the "Married for over 20 years but still getting some side action" shirt. :laugh:

Oh, is he taking applications?

I don't ask that for any specific reason. I'm just vaguely curious, in a totally non self-involved way.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Mid 50s here, I buy a variety of polo shirts, a couple of pair of Jeans, some khakis and a few pair of dress pants. Forget tailoring, forget the expense. Simple easy and timeless. I have dress shirts that are ages old, but since I don't have to wear a suit to work anymore I only break them out when I need to wear a suit.