Can you eat ANYTHING?

Options

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been loosing weight while eating a little of everything. I don't deny myself I simply make sure it fits within my calories for the day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    From a nutritional standpoint, there certainly is junk food! It is very difficult to eat much junk food and stay within your calorie goals, let alone get decent nutrition.
  • zachsus
    zachsus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Physically, you can. What it's gonna do to your body is another thing. First of all, vitamin and macro-nutrient deficiencies may start appearing and messing up your health. The mental aspect is another thing, if you are on a diet and your calories are low, blowing it all on a a bit of pizza or something and then not being able to eat for the rest of the day will demotivate you really quickly and you'd rather eat 1lb of vegies to feel full than having a chocolate bar and starving until the next morning.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My answer is yes and no. I can eat anything, but I truly find that I am more successful with my weight loss when I don't eat anything and eat more healthy foods. Maybe the junk food does not fill me, which prompts me to eat more but I have tried CICO and it really does not work for me.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I was wondering has anyone been able to eat anything (junk food included) stay within the suggested calories and still lose weight?

Yes ma'am. I routinely eat poptarts, pizza, bagels, burgers etc.

The trick is that it would be impossible to hit your macros on just that kind of food so it forces you to eat clean food 80% of the time. For example, I ate 3 doughnuts yesterday at 5AM while deadlifting for simple carbs. But, that put a dent in my fat and carb allotment for the day so my lunch was just grilled chicken and my dinner was grilled chicken and grilled zuccini.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds eating whatever I wanted and staying at my calorie goal. I did find that some foods did not keep me full as well as others so what I want to eat has changed a bit. But I still eat out, both fast food and sit down restaurants, and I still eat processed foods and sweets. I just eat them in moderation and have portion sizes that are appropriate for me.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary. I've lost over 90 lbs eating what many here would consider junk. But I eat a lot less of it than I did and am better at getting fruit and vegetables than I was.

Even going to hit the pub tonight to watch hockey. Will have wings (which isn't "junk" but some would call them that).

I'm learning what it is to eat healthier as I go. I'm learning what healthy foods I like and make sure my diet isn't totally rabbit food. But I'm also looking long term and know that the habits I make now will have to be the same habits when I hit my goal weight.

I really appreciated looking through your diary. To know that you've lost so much while still enjoying yourself gave me a big boost of confidence that I am doing alright. So thanks :)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I regularly eat many foods that get labeled "junk food". A single serving of chips or pretzels. A single serving of ice cream. A homemade cookie or two. Yummy stuff like that.

I have found, for me, that there are a couple of foods that are not a good idea for me to eat because I have too much trouble with portion control. So, I don't eat snack crackers. Not because there's anything inherently worse about them than chips or cookies or ice cream. But because I will eat half the box.

I also regularly eat many foods that the "clean eaters" would scoff at - though I don't consider them junk at all. Thin crust pizza with a salad or with edamame is a perfectly fine dinner, in my opinion. And sausage is perfectly fine as my protein on occasion. Steak? Yep. Bacon? Yep. Cheese? Yep. Pasta? Yep. All perfectly decent foods that can be eaten in appropriate portions as part of a balanced meal.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's not the "what" that is the problem. It's the "how much". If you choose high-calorie low-nutrient foods, then the quantity may leave you wanting. Should be a no-brainer really.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    In short yes, but.... for example I can't devour a large takeaway pizza as I simply cannot fit that into my calories for the day even if I didn't eat anything else that day. I can however fit in a small one if I'm conscious of the Base type and toppings I choose.

You just have to be sensible about it. Today is a great example I'm actually making pizza tonight, less cheese, some veggies and ham for the topping. To fit it in I had a large homemade greek salad for lunch and just a slice of toast for breakfast, a large orange and blueberries for snacks. It's all about balance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Let's say that it was easier to get away with an unbalanced diet when I had 80 lbs to lose, but yeah, you can eat anything you want and lose weight... you just got to ask yourself if that 800 calorie milk shake is worth being hungry all day in order to stay within your calories (or exercising for 2 hours).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can literally eat anything and lose weight, provided you remain in a calorie deficit while doing so.

What you will find, however, is that high calorie foods, especially those yummy ones containing both sugar and fat, 'cost' a great deal more, calorie-wise, than their less spendy counterparts, and satiety may become an issue since you can't eat a whole lot of them in a day and remain within 'budget.'

Nutrition and weight loss are two separate issues. But that doesn't mean you should disregard nutrition simply because you absolutely *can* lose weight by eating anything you crave within your caloric budget. What seems to work best overall for most people is a well-balanced diet that covers all of your macro needs, with a little wiggle room left over for some treats. :)
    Yes and no. I regularly eat many foods that get labeled "junk food". A single serving of chips or pretzels. A single serving of ice cream. A homemade cookie or two. Yummy stuff like that.

I have found, for me, that there are a couple of foods that are not a good idea for me to eat because I have too much trouble with portion control. So, I don't eat snack crackers. Not because there's anything inherently worse about them than chips or cookies or ice cream. But because I will eat half the box.

I also regularly eat many foods that the "clean eaters" would scoff at - though I don't consider them junk at all. Thin crust pizza with a salad or with edamame is a perfectly fine dinner, in my opinion. And sausage is perfectly fine as my protein on occasion. Steak? Yep. Bacon? Yep. Cheese? Yep. Pasta? Yep. All perfectly decent foods that can be eaten in appropriate portions as part of a balanced meal.

df5dd0f96e6cd92c2c58d5f9dcc489fb_i-approve-of-this-post-i-approve-this-post-meme_236-213.jpeg