How many people log every fruit and vegetable they eat?

Options

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I love these posts. I log veggies, but I dont weigh them. I do log fruit but I only weigh the bananas, everything else I just guestimate unless it is canned fruit then I weigh it. I also do not log or weigh the almond milk I put in my coffee every day. Other than that I pretty much weigh everything. Oh I don't weigh the fat free dressing I put on my salad when I have salad, only because I know I am using less than a serving from experience, but I do log the dressing some times.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do. It's not stressful to me. It's stressful when I can't weigh everything.
  • Molly_gets_fit26
    Molly_gets_fit26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sure do. No matter what, I log it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,015 Member
    Options
    Is it worth the stress or time? I mean in a way you should probably eat those fruits and veggies even if you don't have the cals left for the day.. right?

I stopped finding logging stressful when I switched from using measuring cups and a spring scale to a digital food scale.

With cups, I never knew how tightly to pack it. Also, what the heck is a medium banana? Easier to just weigh.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Fruit is nature's candy. It has some nutritional value, sure. But it's also very high in sugar and calories and not ideal to eat all the time. Sugar is sugar - whether it comes from a banana or a chocolate bar. You can get the same nutrients from vegetables without overloading on the sugar.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Some veggies I don't bother with it, but fruit I definitely do. Fruits affect my carb macros a lot every day I'd say it makes up almost a third or more.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I log them not only for calories, but to track nutrients and general trends - I can't know if I'm doing a good job with my intake if I don't log them.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yep, because if I don't, the only one I'd be lying to is me.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Fruit is nature's candy. It has some nutritional value, sure. But it's also very high in sugar and calories and not ideal to eat all the time. Sugar is sugar - whether it comes from a banana or a chocolate bar. You can get the same nutrients from vegetables without overloading on the sugar.

Trying not to get too off-topic here, but... The amount of sugar in whole fruit is low compared with other sweet foods, and because it has fiber too, it's hard to mindlessly overeat. So if you want something sweet, fruit is a good choice. For most people it's fine to eat every day, several servings in fact without being in any danger of overeating sugar.

And while fruits and vegetables are similar nutritionally, there are some differences when it comes to phytonutrients. Fruits are a better source of some of those than vegetables.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

Trying not to get too off-topic here, but... The amount of sugar in whole fruit is low compared with other sweet foods, and because it has fiber too, it's hard to mindlessly overeat. So if you want something sweet, fruit is a good choice. For most people it's fine to eat every day, several servings in fact without being in any danger of overeating sugar.

And while fruits and vegetables are similar nutritionally, there are some differences when it comes to phytonutrients. Fruits are a better source of some of those than vegetables.

Lol. I've overeaten fruit a few times, especially apricots and avocados. My mom and brother have too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Lol. I've overeaten fruit a few times, especially apricots and avocados. My mom and brother have too.

Plums for me, lol.

But you'd log a 100 calorie chocolate bar. Why wouldn't you log a 100 calorie banana?
  • cmtigger
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Plums for me, lol.

But you'd log a 100 calorie chocolate bar. Why wouldn't you log a 100 calorie banana?

I've probably done it with plums too. My great aunt had a mini orchard and she'd bring us boxes of plums and apricots that were just perfect ripe. My mom let us eat as much as we wanted so they didn't spoil. Mmmm.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I definitely log fruit and veggies. I think for me pineapple and cantaloupe are the two highest calorie fruits I eat. I log veggies too.. why not, they have calories as well..

Now I did just eat 78 grams of celery and almost did not log it.. it was 13 calories, it had a gram of fiber, need to see if I am reaching my fiber goals..
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but it's easy to mindlessly overeat sugary foods like candy or sodas. Someone might mindlessly drink a 12-ounce can of Coca-cola, or two, or three. But to get the same amount of sugar as there is in 12 ounces of Coke, you'd have to eat over 400g of apricots, or about 2 1/2 cups. You could do it, but it probably isn't something you could do without noticing. Unlike drinking the Coke, it would take a long time and you'd feel full afterwards.

Btw, I wouldn't count avocado as a fruit for purposes of someone who wants to reduce sugar intake. It has almost no sugar.

ETA: I would log those foods, btw. My reason for posting was responding to the suggestion that fruit is very high in sugar and should be avoided. Didn't mean to get too off-topic there! :)

• dmsx3
    dmsx3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do unless it's just a slice to tomato or piece of onion for a burger or something along those lines.
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't log lettuce or cucumbers. I log all my other veggies though. And EVERY piece of fruit.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    No, but my coach has me counting macros not calories and the numbers he gives us are purposely see a couple hundred calories low so we can skip logging what's on his "freebie" veggie list (most veggies with under 10 Cal/carb per serving) just to keep things simple.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything - fruit, vegetable, whatever. It just gives me a better idea of what I'm eating.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but it's easy to mindlessly overeat sugary foods like candy or sodas. Someone might mindlessly drink a 12-ounce can of Coca-cola, or two, or three. But to get the same amount of sugar as there is in 12 ounces of Coke, you'd have to eat over 400g of apricots, or about 2 1/2 cups. You could do it, but it probably isn't something you could do without noticing. Unlike drinking the Coke, it would take a long time and you'd feel full afterwards.

Btw, I wouldn't count avocado as a fruit for purposes of someone who wants to reduce sugar intake. It has almost no sugar.

ETA: I would log those foods, btw. My reason for posting was responding to the suggestion that fruit is very high in sugar and should be avoided. Didn't mean to get too off-topic there! :)

Actually it can be not crazy hard to eat a bunch of perfectly ripe fruits, or especially dried fruits. And while avocados aren't high in sugar, they are still high in calories because of the fat. I think my brother once ate a pound of dried fruit without my parents noticing.

But yes, both are not "bad" for you because they have a lot of other nutrients we need.