Very Active vs Active Setting

Options
191353 Posts: 14 Member
I'm working out six days a week an hour each. Would MFP consider me activebir very active? I ask because my setting have been on "active" since I started in January (I have lost 15 pounds so far) and I just changed it to "very active" and it increased my daily calorie intake by 300.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    working out isn't included in your MFP setting - you should pick your activity based on non-purposeful activity - so basic walking/activity

then log workouts separately
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't included in MFP's activity level, which is why it gets logged separately and the calories are eaten back
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Activity setting is based on what you do daily excluding exercise, exercise is added separately. This is because you might not do the same exercise daily, but you probably have a similar base activity because of your job. For example, I alternate cardio and weights. I burn significantly more calories on cardio than lifting.
    Options
    So my exercising aside. How do you define active versus very active? There is 300 calorie allowance difference for me between the two and I'm trying to make sure I select the correct one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    191353 wrote: »
    So my exercising aside. How do you define active versus very active? There is 300 calorie allowance difference for me between the two and I'm trying to make sure I select the correct one.

There are calculators that take into account your activity level including exercise...and their descriptors will describe the exercise and how often/intensity, etc.

You will note that MFP makes no...zero...nada mention of exercise in the descriptors...your activity level with MFP is supposed to just be your day to day and then you log deliberate exercise and get additional calories.

The way you're doing it is fine too, but it's all just an estimation...pick one and go with it and look at your trends...if you're losing to fast, eat more...losing slower or not losing, eat less.
    Options
    I found the answer. I'm Active.