55 years old and needs to lose 25 lbs

Options
I have never weighed this much unless I was pregnant ( that baby is now 28) - would like to have a few friends around my age who understand - working full time ( gone 11 hrs a day) tough to get those 10,000 steps in and eat healthy. I don't really want to go to WW and spend the $$ - so hopefully between MFP & Fit bit. I can do it. Today I am 180 lbs!!!!!!

Replies

• Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Whatever you think you are right!
  • TominTorrance
    TominTorrance Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've lost 22lbs (from 242lbs to 220lbs in 2 months with 15lbs to go) and am 52, just eating the calories MFP tells I have to eat, and making sure I double or triple check the food library to make sure I'm being accurate with selecting the correct item and calorie count (there are plenty of mistakes in our library), and I try to underestimate the amount of exercise I'm doing. Stay true to the numbers and over estimate the food, under estimate the exercise and you'll lose weight easy peasy. I mostly eat what I want, but have learned to take it easy for breakfast (the most important meal of the day..my behind!) and lunch because I tend to want to eat more in the evening. And when all else fails I do more exercise, walking, bike...whenever it takes
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    dieter1161 wrote: »
    I have never weighed this much unless I was pregnant ( that baby is now 28) - would like to have a few friends around my age who understand - working full time ( gone 11 hrs a day) tough to get those 10,000 steps in and eat healthy. I don't really want to go to WW and spend the $$ - so hopefully between MFP & Fit bit. I can do it. Today I am 180 lbs!!!!!!

Welcome, and congrats on your commitment to a new you!

With regard to the bolded, if finding time for exercise is tough right now then just concentrate on your calories. "Eating healthy", whatever that means to you, is pointless unless you're also eating less calories overall than you burn. (And don't forget that you burn calories all day just by existing - you don't have to do deliberate exercise for weight loss, but it's great for health and fitness.)

If you find some calorie-counted recipes that you like and can easily make for lunches - say by doing a couple of hours meal prep at the weekends - then that will help you to stay on track during your work days. If you want to exercise, you can try to fit in a walk at lunchtime or after work, or just park a little further away from work or the store, or get off the train/bus a couple of stops earlier. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk over to talk to someone instead of sending an email. There are lots of ways to add a little more activity to your life.

Oh, and get a food scale. It's the best $15-20 you'll spend. :)

Read the stickied posts at the top of some of these forum sections for lots of useful advice, and set up your MFP profile correctly (go for 0.5lbs - 1lb per week, with only 25 to lose), then have at it! You can do this. :)

(For the record, I'm 51 and have lost about 63lbs so far just by watching my intake - I do hardly any exercise right now.)
  • FitMeBetter
    FitMeBetter Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi. Our goals and numbers seem similar. Feel free to add me!