60 Days to Old Man Abs - Day 39

Options
This has been a real challenge. Always a fan of sweets and bread. Needless to say they got the boot. I'm more then happy with the progress. You're never to old to set and achieve goals. And you don't need to buy some program geared towards older people. " Abs after 40" comes to mind. Everything you need to know is out there. It's just a matter of commitment.

wefec8i2aic2.png

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!

Thank you.
  • CWynne3
    CWynne3 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Holy hotness!! Great work!!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Great job
  • AusManok74
    AusManok74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nice work, that's definitely paying off for you! I'm 43 and for the first time in my life starting to get in shape. I still need to lose a little more weight yet before I can think about getting abs, but great to see someone else getting there. I'm still not sure if I have what it takes to be THAT disciplined, but then again I've logged everything I've eaten for over 330 days now, so who knows! How much time do you spend exercising every day?
  • 1LonelyRose
    1LonelyRose Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Nice! Keep up the good work!
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    CWynne3 wrote: »
    Holy hotness!! Great work!!
    Thank You.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    Great job

Thank you.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    Nice! Keep up the good work!

Thank you.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    AusManok74 wrote: »
    Nice work, that's definitely paying off for you! I'm 43 and for the first time in my life starting to get in shape. I still need to lose a little more weight yet before I can think about getting abs, but great to see someone else getting there. I'm still not sure if I have what it takes to be THAT disciplined, but then again I've logged everything I've eaten for over 330 days now, so who knows! How much time do you spend exercising every day?

If you do any research they all say abs are made in the kitchen. I have found this to be true in my case. Plus a slight cal deficit. The whole cal deficit thing can be tricky depending on ones activity level. I'm pretty active at work and outside of the gym so fine tuning that can be a pain. You basically have to go my the mirror.

Additionally I cleaned up my diet. No added sugar and eating foods that contain no added sugar. Also no breads, beef, pork or dairy . I'm also eating the same thing everyday. Oatmeal, walnuts, sweet potatoes, chicken ,broccoli, eggs, protein powder, bananas, more oatmeal ..heh

I follow a push,legs,pull,rest routine. Hypertrophy style but not real heavy due to joint pain in shoulders and knees.
    Day 1 - Push followed by oblique training the 15 mins of HIT on the treadmill. 30 second sprints then 30 seconds rest.
    Day 2- Legs - Followed by abs training
    Day 3-Pull - followed by oblique training & HIT again
    Day 4 Rest - Only ab training

Hope this helps. Just remember you have to find something that works for you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    OP: Are you saying that you developed the abs pictured in just 39 days? If so, that's very hard to believe.

Not taking anything away from your accomplishment - - your abs look great - - but getting abs like that probably isn't doable for anyone in 60 (let alone 39) days (regardless of age) unless you were at less than 15% BF to begin with.

You look to be at about 10% BF in the pic which is where I am now.

It took me 6 months to lose 36# and drop from +25% down to 16% BF and another 4 months to drop to 10% BF while in maintenance after that to get the defined "old man abs" that I have now for the 1st time in my 66 years of life.

Granted, everyone is different but suggesting that you can get these types of abs in 2 months or less is misleading. It takes time, dedication and discipline in diet and exercise over a much longer period to achieve this and people need to be aware of this.
  • 883xlsportster
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos. My intent is not to mislead nor is a direct challenge to members. Additionally I don't think I'm claiming you can start from any BF level and in 60 days get to low BF. This is a personal challenge for myself that I'm sharing. In doing so I'm trying to convey that older people can get low BF and visible abs with diet and commitment. I would think common sense dictates if you have high BF then this goal may take longer? I'm not a expert ....

I started to clean my diet up Jan just because. Halfway through March I got it in my head it would great to have some kind of abs before I die. Not that I'm strolling the beach and walking around shirtless. Anyways I set April 1 as the start date of all in commitment. For the first time in my life I'm getting abs or bust!!!!

So yeah I've worked really *kitten* hard! Eating that same boring food for 40 days and running sprints on the treadmill feeling like I'm about to take the big one. But hey, with respect ........think or assume what ya like.

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Great job op
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    Great job op

Thank you.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, and working out, running, swimming, yoga, etc....
    And my waist line is where I want it to be (well close to where I want it) but the abs are no where to be seen.....
    I can feel them, just can't see them
    May I ask your Carb/Protein/Fat percents? and daily caloric intake??
    And congrat on great work!!!I
    I'm Canadian too!
    Cheers
  • 883xlsportster
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Bentforkx wrote: »
    And my waist line is where I want it to be (well close to where I want it) but the abs are no where to be seen.....
    I'm Canadian too!
    Cheers

Thank you. I don't have that information but I will track it over the next few days and post it. I'm sure you know this but you need to burn that layer off. You can do it! I can tell you that HIT sprints on the treadmill probably helps me the most with it. I still have the stubborn low belly fat to burn. Not plugging anyone but I will put a link at bottom for what works for me and where I got this HIT method from. Mind you I do the HIT after workout. I can barely get up for work let alone run on a treadmill in the early AM.

This is my daily diet so it may give you a idea? I should add I don't waiver from it. Just the timing on the weekends and meat swap. Plus I have a water bottle with me at all times. I have not eaten beef or pork since Jan 1. No added sugars or processed sugars or bread since April 1.

6:00AM - 1/2 cup of quick oats with 40 grams of walnuts
    - 1 serving of ON Gold protein with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.
    - multi vitamin
    - black coffee

9:00 - 1 packet of instant reg. oatmeal with 20 grams of walnuts and 20 grams of Thompson raisins
    - 3 hard boiled eggs
    - 1 banana

12:00 - 3/4 cup of boiled mashed sweet potatoes
    - 100 grams of boneless skinless chicken breast
    - 1 cup of broccoli
    - 2 krill oil tablets

2:00- 3/4 cup of lactose free plain greek yogourt ( this is the only dairy in my diet)

3:30 - Pre workout - 1 banana & cup of black coffee

5:00 Post workout is a protein shake with the following
    - 1/2 serving of ON Serious mass -- Seriously can you believe I take a "weigh gainer" lol
    - 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk
    - 5 g of creatine
    - 1/2 avocado - apx 50 grams.

8:00 - 3/4 cup of boiled mashed sweet potatoes
    - 100 grams of boneless skinless chicken breast
    - 1 cup of broccoli

I'm eating the boneless skinless chicken apx 5 days ( twice a day) a week. Two days it's swapped out for 100 grams of lean ground turkey and one day a week I'm having 100 -130 grams of salmon.

Hope this helps. Happy 150 Canada ;-)

This is where I got my HIT method from.

https://youtu.be/kprL34jzy5s

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos. My intent is not to mislead nor is a direct challenge to members. Additionally I don't think I'm claiming you can start from any BF level and in 60 days get to low BF. This is a personal challenge for myself that I'm sharing. In doing so I'm trying to convey that older people can get low BF and visible abs with diet and commitment. I would think common sense dictates if you have high BF then this goal may take longer? I'm not a expert ....

This was not clear from the title of the thread or your initial post. It is clear now.

There are a lot of newbies on MFP who really might not know "better" and it would not necessarily be obvious to them that achieving abs like yours (or mine) takes a lot of HARD work over a LONG period of time.

Call it wishful thinking but I can't count the number of threads I've seen started by novices who want to know how quickly they can get rid of their belly by spot dieting/exercising and have no idea that it takes commitment to a specific diet and exercise plan to achieve it.

Enuf said.

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Nice job, OP!
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Nice job, OP!

Thank you.
  • 883xlsportster
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Bentforkx wrote: »
    I'm Canadian too!
    Cheers

This is what I'm getting for calories and set at. I never changed the goal macro ratio setup when I started this challenge. I have it set to active and 6 workouts a week. It should be set to very active as I'm on my feet all day at work. Additionally I don't have my HIT cardio worked into the goal calculator. Hope this helps.

lflzyjs5cwto.png

jdo2hd37oaak.png
    4vx4k0tb0sf9.png