I eat a surplus last week and still doesnt gain? OMG

Options
ferd_ttp5
ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
edited May 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Ok the moment of truth this morning, I weigh myself before vacation 68kg. Party all night, eat all night, drunk all night lol but though I still log what I'm eating and drinking can you imagine that? It still me I'm not the drunk young adult guy :lol: In 4 days of my vacation I eat roughly 8k of surplus I'm expecting to gain 1kg or either 2 but still this morning this is the schedule weighing day I weigh my self this morning and I'm so schocked that I doesn't gain any weight even .1? Really? (mixed emotion happy or shock) :lol: so what does it mean by my body? That I'm burning more calories that what I think? Yes, I'm active I do cycling 5× in Monday-Friday that week my vacation last Saturday to Tuesday.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    www.trendweight.com (use with free account at fitbit.com); www.weightgrapher.com; libra for android; happy scale for iPhone. You have a weight range. Not a specific weight.
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    www.trendweight.com (use with free account at fitbit.com); www.weightgrapher.com; libra for android; happy scale for iPhone. You have a weight range. Not a specific weight.
    Do you mean a personal weight range? If yes then I got 68-70kg is ok for me :)

• ferd_ttp5
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Do you mean a personal weight range? If yes then I got 68-70kg is ok for me :)

You can interpret it to mean a personal weight range; but, what I was saying goes a bit deeper.

At any particular point of time your body weight consists of fat and non fat mass. Non fat mass can contain, hair, skin, bones, muscle, intra-cellular and extra-cellular water, food in transit.

Presumably, however, you are interested in your fat mass, not the rest of it.

So every morning you take a measurement on your scale. But really, you have no idea what you've measured or what changed from the previous day.

All you know is that fat is one of the slower things to change as each lb of fat requires a deficit or gain of about 3500 Cal. A change of a lb of water just requires a couple of grams of salt, or a good workout.

When you weight yourself once a week or once a month how do you know whether your previous weigh in was a "local low" or a "local high"? How do you know that your current weigh in is not a "local low" or a "local high"?

In reality you have a cloud of weight. And that cloud MAYBE contains somewhere in it the information you need to determine whether you're losing fat or gaining fat (because in reality you still won't know the real answer except for the fact that a persistent long term change in weight is more likely to be the result of a change in fat stores if you're making an effort in that direction).

My opinion is that a trending weight program lets you better determine where you're at in terms of your weight level.

In the below case the person is maintaining between 156 and 157 as opposed to wildly swinging between 155 and 158.3 (use your imagination a bit as I don't happen to have examples of wild weight swings handy, other people have graphs with more variation)
    3m.png

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Quite often a week behind for me due to the dehydration from the alcohol balancing the fat gain out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Quite often a week behind for me due to the dehydration from the alcohol balancing the fat gain out.

yep, i often find that gains take a bit longer to catch up with me...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I usually see results of my eating about one week later. It takes the body awhile to actually store the extra energy into fat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I find it takes the scale a while to catch up with excess ...so you might not be 'home and dry' yet.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

I usually see results of my eating about one week later. It takes the body awhile to actually store the extra energy into fat.

Same 4 me.

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm like others here. Both my losses and gains take time to show up, but they do show up. Water retention from sodium is sometimes more immediate.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Ok the moment of truth this morning, I weigh myself before vacation 68kg. Party all night, eat all night, drunk all night lol but though I still log what I'm eating and drinking can you imagine that? It still me I'm not the drunk young adult guy :lol: In 4 days of my vacation I eat roughly 8k of surplus I'm expecting to gain 1kg or either 2 but still this morning this is the schedule weighing day I weigh my self this morning and I'm so schocked that I doesn't gain any weight even .1? Really? (mixed emotion happy or shock) :lol: so what does it mean by my body? That I'm burning more calories that what I think? Yes, I'm active I do cycling 5× in Monday-Friday that week my vacation last Saturday to Tuesday.

Give it a couple days and it may show up....
    Unless you had really high energy expenditure during those 4 days.

I know for me, that when I go over on my calories or eating candy, it usually shows up about 2 - 3 days later on the scale.
    In the form of water.

Last month I weighed in on a Friday at ~167 lbs. Left Saturday morning to go to Jacksonville, was there till Wednesday morning....and I ate a lot during that time.
    Thursday morning when I weighed in, I was at 177....
    A day or 2 later, I pissed out about 5 pounds and weighed in at 172
  • jthomps123
    jthomps123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated after a night of drinking?
  • ferd_ttp5
    Options
    jthomps123 wrote: »
    Dehydrated after a night of drinking?
    Am yes, Studies says alcohol can dehydrate you up :lol: