Too much fat?

Options
Hi all! I'm looking for some insight.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic. I'm 27 and working on upping my activity as I am normally sedintary. MFP gives me a little under 1800 calories for the day. I've been working on reducing my carb intake so I don't have to take as much insulin. I'm generally eating about 150g carbs per day instead of the almost 250g they recommend. I'm staying under my calorie goal, but going over on fats daily. Is going over on the fats going to hinder my weight loss? Or does not having as many carbs help compensate for the higher amount of fat I eat?

Replies

• megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the higher fat percentage. As long as you are at a calorie deficit it shouldn't impede your weight loss.

Also, many low or moderate carb diets actually intentionally have you increase your fat when you reduce carbs, and many people (myself included) have success losing weight while eating higher fat percentages.

As long as you're eating at a deficit and feeling good, you're on the right path.
  • Kelseyreyne
    Kelseyreyne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the higher fat percentage. As long as you are at a calorie deficit it shouldn't impede your weight loss.

Also, many low or moderate carb diets actually intentionally have you increase your fat when you reduce carbs, and many people (myself included) have success losing weight while eating higher fat percentages.

As long as you're eating at a deficit and feeling good, you're on the right path.

Thank you!! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to eat that would still be filling but have less fat and I'm not coming up with much.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I spoke with my husband who was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was eight and a half years old (he's now 48.) I asked if you might best be served by meeting with a nutritionist/dietician, if possible. He reminded me that "every diabetic is a unique individual and most of them (nutritionists/doctors/etc.) have a "standard"/one size fits all." So, that being said, he said that fats shouldn't be *quite* a worry, as it's carbs that affect Type 1s the most. He also said that some fats (depending on their food source) convert to carbs, but it's not a one-for-one. (I wish he was on MFP so y'all could talk, but feel free to friend me, or give me a holler if you want.)

From my experience with my beloved, when we've gone on long hikes or worked out at the gym, even if his numbers were on the high side when we started, he'd always go low...so make sure you have glucose tablets or whatever is your choice of sugar-fix, on you as you work toward a more active life. I sadly have to chuckle, as one time, as soon as we got home from a workout, he had to slam a Mt. Dew. He was like "and I go to the gym, why?!" But still, he tries to do the best he can, and so far, so good. Remember to be patient with yourself in all this, as my husband has told me for the last 20-odd years, "It's a learning process."
  • Kelseyreyne
    Options
    LyssaJ1 wrote: »
    I spoke with my husband who was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was eight and a half years old (he's now 48.) I asked if you might best be served by meeting with a nutritionist/dietician, if possible. He reminded me that "every diabetic is a unique individual and most of them (nutritionists/doctors/etc.) have a "standard"/one size fits all." So, that being said, he said that fats shouldn't be *quite* a worry, as it's carbs that affect Type 1s the most. He also said that some fats (depending on their food source) convert to carbs, but it's not a one-for-one. (I wish he was on MFP so y'all could talk, but feel free to friend me, or give me a holler if you want.)

From my experience with my beloved, when we've gone on long hikes or worked out at the gym, even if his numbers were on the high side when we started, he'd always go low...so make sure you have glucose tablets or whatever is your choice of sugar-fix, on you as you work toward a more active life. I sadly have to chuckle, as one time, as soon as we got home from a workout, he had to slam a Mt. Dew. He was like "and I go to the gym, why?!" But still, he tries to do the best he can, and so far, so good. Remember to be patient with yourself in all this, as my husband has told me for the last 20-odd years, "It's a learning process."

Thank you so much! I was diagnosed when I was 11 (27 now)

I've seen dieticans and have had the same experience as your husband! They all subscribe to the "balanced diet" and insist I NEED all those carbs to function. I'm on a pretty high insulin:carb ratio and I know insulin tends to make people store fat. I usually get my carbs from whole wheat/grains and fruits/veggies. My fats are mostly things like salad dressing, cheese, yogurt, nuts and avocados.

I added you as a friend. Its nice to know others that have T1D or are close to others with T1D. Its so great to hear that you are so supportive of your husband also! My husband tries, but I think he doesn't really know how to help me.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the thing with carbs is you need them to like, live ya know? :D Dieticians...bless their hearts. But yeah, T1 is rough because even all the things that are *good for you* have carbs...so like...dang you carbs!!

I just went to look to see if there was a group for T1, and see you found them...so yay that! I'll bug my hubby often, as he does like to help other T1s that are open to learning (even through the unfun stuff.) I think it's the only time he willingly talks with strangers, outside of Science Fiction/Fantasy conventions. ~lame chuckle~
  • Kelseyreyne
    Options
    As type 1 diabetics (and maybe type 2, I dunno) were ALWAYS learning something. I wish it were more of an exact science. That would make my life so much easier! I've try to add myself to whatever type 1 diabetic groups I can find. Still trying to find a local group so I can meet people in person, but haven't been very successful.

Haha. Sounds like we have some things in common! I've never been to a convention, but I'm dying to get to one someday.