Iron Problems

Options
MjPoet23
MjPoet23 Posts: 5 Member
Hi! Ive had problems with my iron since i was little and since ive started this program i am scared im not getting enough iron i was wondering what are some great healthy foods or meals that have a great source of iron?

Replies

• michelletanguay9530
    michelletanguay9530 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I don't know much, was just searching iron as I was recently diagnosed with low iron. I'm on supplements but am kind of wondering if it got low once.... won't it again and why??? Pairing my lean meats with spinach salad ( with dried cranberries for zing and the needed vitamin c) is my current favourite iron-rich meal but I'd love more suggestions.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Spinach
    Apricot
    Pate
    Beef
    Mussels
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have developed high iron in the last couple of years. No issues before. Donating blood apparently helps - which is what I've done.

Unfortunately one of my favorite foods is steak :(
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Cereal, because so many are fortified. If it's something you've had issues with, you may consider supplementing. Iron supplements work best when taken with a vitamin c source.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    One tip if you haven't done this already: switch out either sugar or sodium tracking for iron tracking on your diary page (probably sugar). You'll be able to see what in your diet is already giving you a decent amount of iron, not to mention the 1% here, 2% there that add up. My best sources are cereal, veggie dogs, and lentils.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have developed high iron in the last couple of years. No issues before. Donating blood apparently helps - which is what I've done.

"Over time, untreated hemochromatosis increases the risk of arthritis, cancer, liver problems, diabetes and heart failure"
    I have hereditary hemochromatosis and have developed arthritis, if your high iron is hereditary it is very important that your family are tested as this condition is life-threatening.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Take a prenatal vitamin (not a gummy, an actual pill) and you'll get a good but safe dose of iron.

Generally, red meat is the best source. The iron from meat is more easily absorbed than the iron from plants. You can also cook with cast iron.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Stand alone iron supplements are VERY high doses. I was prescribed 65 mg of iron years ago that's 360% of daily RDA! Do not take a stand alone without a prescription, high doses are toxic to children.

Now I take a mutli with 40% iron - look for a child proof cap - not all multis contain iron (accidental poisoning).
    Grape nuts, Raisin Bran, and other cereals have good iron content.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods

• beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    100g of liver n u r done for the day! :D

Protein 26 g 52%
    Vitamin A 359%
    Vitamin C 39%
    Iron 99%
    Vitamin B-6 30%
    Vitamin B-12 311%
    Magnesium 3%

see if ur body will absorb it or not. good luck!
  • MjPoet23
    MjPoet23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally would like to steer clear of iron supplements. I have not been tested but younger i would always pass out my mom took me to the ER and thats what they told me was my iron so ive had to watch my level since then. I make a delicious fruit smoothie with spinach in it but wasnt sure of anything else that would help i appreciate all of your guys insight!
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Stand alone iron supplements are VERY high doses. I was prescribed 65 mg of iron years ago that's 360% of daily RDA! Do not take a stand alone without a prescription, high doses are toxic to children.

Now I take a mutli with 40% iron - look for a child proof cap - not all multis contain iron (accidental poisoning).

What you look for is the amount of elemental iron on the label that is what is absorbed by the body. Before supplementing iron always check levels via blood testing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I saw that and I thought it was crazy too.

I have anemia, the doctor told me to get a supplement... I found one that has 18mg... so now I have around 150% a day (and will need to get my levels checked again soon).

Cereal is an option I guess but it doesn't fill me up at all for the calories so I don't bother.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    MjPoet23 wrote: »
    Hi! Ive had problems with my iron since i was little and since ive started this program i am scared im not getting enough iron i was wondering what are some great healthy foods or meals that have a great source of iron?

Spinach
    Beans
    Lean red meat

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Cereal is an option I guess but it doesn't fill me up at all for the calories so I don't bother.

I generally eat it dry as a snack.

• zealousgirlbree
    zealousgirlbree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Dr and get a blood test. I have very low iron despite a healthy diet full of iron rich foods. Some people just don't absorb it from food as well as others.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Dr and get a blood test. I have very low iron despite a healthy diet full of iron rich foods. Some people just don't absorb it from food as well as others.

^ This.

But otherwise, red meats paired with vitamin C foods will help you the most. Red meats have the most bioavailable iron so you will be more likely to improve iron levels with red meat.

Other foods with iron are great, but may be harder for your body to absorb. Before I was treated with supplements, I used to have cereals and veggies high in iron and always paired them up with foods with vitamin C, but my iron levels kept dropping anyway and I had no choice but to take high doses of iron 3x a day for a couple of months.

Now I have to take a daily multivitamin with 18 mg of iron to keep getting enough. Though apparently this is something most menstruating women should be doing anyway.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I take an OTC iron supplement that provides 100% RDA BUT not daily. 2x per week is enough, combined with the food I eat, to keep me from becoming anemic.
  • ninjamere1
    ninjamere1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Beef works the best for me. I eat a wide variety of foods to round things out overall, but I have to have beef a couple times a week to keep my iron levels up.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I know dairy hinders absorption of iron so watch that when eating iron rich foods.