Pro Tip: Just Don't Drink

While this may seem common sense to those of you who aren't compelled to drink on a nightly basis, this has been a gigantic source of success for me.

To begin with, I'd say I exercise pretty decently during the week. I'm currently obsessed with HIIT routines and do 4-6 per week. Other than that, I pretty much just chase around my two-year-old son, go on the occasional walk / hike, do yard work, etc. I wouldn't call myself any kind of fitness buff or fanatic. I'd do a halfway decent job of moderating my eating most of the time, but at least a quarter of the week I would not.

On top of that, I'd have (in the neighborhood of) 2-5 drinks per evening. Most of the time, this was craft beer (the true enemy of weight loss, sadly); the rest of the time, it was alcohol that is supposed to be easier for your body to process (e.g. clear liquor like gin or vodka, wine) and which are supposed to leave your body more quickly. I was once told that, as long as you have alcohol in your system, your body is unable to process fat (it just stores it). I'd go as many as one or two days without drinking, but then get back after it.

Since the start of this month, I've gone dry (both as a weight loss thing and to support my pregnant wife). I've had many, many nights where I did not control my eating so well; however, I've had a few successes recently and am riding that trend. I haven't even brought myself to weigh in at this point, but the loss in my waist line and in how my clothes fit is undeniable. I've finally gotten rid of all of the residual water I've been holding on to, and my mid-section looks a ton better (less jiggly and amorphous).

In case you've been in denial, like myself, for the last however many years, find the will power and stop drinking for a few nights. I'm sure there are many who CAN drink every night, but, for whatever reason, I am not one of those people. I can't wait to see what I look like at the end of this month, and I believe I'll try to extend it another month.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to confirm or deny what I've said. I always enjoy conversation.

Replies

• AmyWhitehead77
    AmyWhitehead77 Posts: 2 Member
    This is also something what I enjoy to do most nights but going to be testing my will power and will only have a drink one night a week now :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I stopped drinking, but I had maybe 3-4 drinks a year because I don't like the taste of most alcohol
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I would never give it up completely, as I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner a few nights a week.
    But, I've never been a big drinker anyway, so didn't feel the need to cut back.
    Unless you have a problem with alcoholism, I would think that most people would not have to cut it out completely, just cut back...maybe from three beers to one. That alone would make a huge difference, calorie-wise.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Agree. I gave up drinking several years ago. Once I truly got fit and lost all of my weight my body just legit couldn't handle it any longer. I swear I'd have a few sips of wine and I'd be completely trashed and feeling sick! So... not worth it. I don't miss it at all.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I like to have a glass of wine with dinner most nights. It helps me slow down, savour and enjoy my food more. But whatever works for you and helps you reach your goals. I think if I was at 1200 cals or if I was trying to get ultra lean (<14%) and I didn't have room I would probably cut it down or out.. but it would really only be temporarily.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I'm not giving it up, but watching hockey at the pub last night does kinda prove your point. Couple of beers and I wanted a steak sandwich with half fries and half ceaser. Yeah, it put me over for the day. Probably killed half my weekly deficit.

And Edmonton lost.

I'll still half a glass of wine or a beer when it fits in, but I'm thinking I might not hit the pub with those buddies for a bit.

Off topic, but sorry about the Oilers. I was rooting for them all the way from Chicago. Can't stand Anaheim.

But, yeah to get back on topic, I have never been able to control myself in a pub atmosphere and stay within my calories. Too much good food and drink.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I still drink most nights while cutting, I just don't drink beer (except a few on Saturday)...usually a couple vodka and diet tonics in the evening. The beer always gets me when I'm cutting.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Moderation with everything is my rule. This being said there are a lot of people that have a hard time stopping at one drink so for those it might make more sense to cut it out completely.I enjoy a glass of wine a few nights a week and have lost 62 pounds.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    I can relate to this. I rarely drink. I have no desire to. If I drink I wont be able to train early the next day.

I lot of people say MODERATE it. You have to KNOW YOURSELF. If you cannot moderate it, then say no.

THis is what I'm doing with chocolate. I didn't know it was so good. I've been hoarding it. Buying lost of it and eating some of it but buying it in boat loads. I never really liked chocolate before now I need all of it. So I'm saying no. Plus its giving me terrible gas. I Know myself and so chocolate is something I will have to do without.