Is Zumba 4 to 5 days a week enough?

Options
cashidy
cashidy Posts: 152 Member
I do Zumba 3 to 5 days a week. I also usually do one core class and 2 yoga classes depending. Is this enough to tone myself and gain muscle/at least keep weight off?

I also usually run once a day for 20 minutes, sometimes I hula hoop, sometimes I swim.

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Keeping weight off will be a function of how many calories you eat.

From a health perspective, yes, you're doing pretty good. You could probably stand some more strength training. Subbing in 2-3 weights sessions (just 20 min) for some of the stuff you're doing would do it.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    That's all great exercise, but to really gain muscle, you'll need to add in some strength training with weights.
    As far as keeping the weight off, that all depends on how many calories you are eating vs. how many you are burning.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Zumba wont help you gain muscle . It seems you are missing an important component of strength training in your regimen. I would incorporate a weight lifting routine.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well what are your goals?

For a lot of people this would be ideal (and for a lot of people, quite a tough goal to achieve).

I think if you are looking to have a certain "look" you may have to engage in the program that yields that result. If you're looking to look like a lean dancer, for instance, you go with Pilates, dance, and yoga. Female ballet dancers don't do much time doing weights, for example.

On the other hand, you may be going for a certain result. A person going for a personal best for a half marathon is going to do a lot of cardio, and not a lot of upper body work. Professional marathoners aren't going for aesthetics.

There are programs that are geared for a certain result. A good personal trainer can do the same.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    I do Zumba 3 to 5 days a week. I also usually do one core class and 2 yoga classes depending. Is this enough to tone myself and gain muscle/at least keep weight off?

I also usually run once a day for 20 minutes, sometimes I hula hoop, sometimes I swim.

No You won't gain muscle doing Zumba.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I want to be leaner, but have so much trouble with lifting weights and eating healthy. When I exercise I get super hungry and overeat
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I want to be leaner, but have so much trouble with lifting weights and eating healthy. When I exercise I get super hungry and overeat

So start with the calorie deficit and add in exercise after that?

You may need to look at the quality of your calories to stop you feeling hungry.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

No You won't gain muscle doing Zumba.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit

No, will will gain muscle and tone with Zumba. You can with yoga and walking, too. Certainly not to the extent of other workouts, of course. Any weight-bearing exercise (which is pretty much everything), will leave you more muscled and toned than not doing it.
  • irma0502
    irma0502 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba 3× a week and blogilates 3× a week for a month. Have lost 2 kgs and my muscles are better toned. I also find it easier to do push ups now. But I guess I will have to move on to weight training for increased bone density.