Eating at caloric deficit and still can lose

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How much should food weigh? I've never weighed food before
    The one thing I don't have is a food scale. I weigh in once a week. I also log my food and exercise daily. It seems like my water rentionion is preventing me from making any sort of progress?

No, your lack of food scale is preventing you making any sort of progress. You're likely underestimating what you're eating.

It weighs what it weighs. You log the weight of the specific food you eat, in grams...
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    No one says you're cheating. When you log that you ate 100 calories of peanut butter, how do you know you're eating 100 calories of peanut butter?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options

Whatever the information for a serving states. For example, my container of oatmeal says one half-cup is 40 grams. Therefore, I weigh out 40 grams of oats. Watch this video. It probably explains better than I can.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Drop you calories a little bit and/or increase your exercising.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Whatever the information for a serving states. For example, my container of oatmeal says one half-cup is 40 grams. Therefore, I weigh out 40 grams of oats. Watch this video. It probably explains better than I can.

Unless you want to eat 67g. That's ok too - just weigh it and log however much you want to eat. Or plan your food in weights and weigh out whatever you've logged
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The one thing I don't have is a food scale. I weigh in once a week. I also log my food and exercise daily. It seems like my water rentionion is preventing me from making any sort of progress?

No, your lack of food scale is preventing you making any sort of progress. You're likely underestimating what you're eating.

Check the MFP database for your foods (for single ingredient foods as opposed to casseroles, breads, soups, etc, add "USDA" for most accurate values: e.g. Apple USDA) then input the number of grams.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options

Unless you want to eat 67g. That's ok too - just weigh it and log however much you want to eat. Or plan your food in weights and weigh out whatever you've logged

Agreed. Depends on your goals.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Look on the nutritional label of the food you're eating. It'll say something like 1 serving (1 cup/30 grams) = 150 calories. Try an experiment. Measure out 1 cup and then weigh it. For many food items that 1 cup will be more than 30 grams, which means you're eating more than 150 calories. That piece of bread you're eating? Most likely weights more than you are accounting for. Don't even get me started on fruit.

Edit for spelling.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    If you're only weighing weekly you have no way of knowing if you're just up from normal daily fluctuations either, a woman can see a fluctuation of up to 5lb daily just from hormonal water retention, that's not even taking into account alcohol, sodium, changes to macros and new or increased intensity exercise.

I would highly suggest a food scale too as you are also likely underestimating your calorie intake.

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you're only weighing weekly you have no way of knowing if you're just up from normal daily fluctuations either, a woman can see a fluctuation of up to 5lb daily just from hormonal water retention, that's not even taking into account alcohol, sodium, changes to macros and new or increased intensity exercise.

I would highly suggest a food scale too as you are also likely underestimating your calorie intake.

Yes. Downloading and using an app like Happy Scale (for iPhone) and using it every day can help you track those fluctuations.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ehowders wrote: »
    Read the China Study/watch Forks Over Knives:) If you're eating too many (really any) animal products, esp if you're eating a lot of protein/dairy/fat this can make losing weight a challenge.

This is a personal preference which is far from fact... I have been eating protein/dairy/fat all along and have lost 57lb since 11/28/2016. I have no cholesterol issues, no HBP, diabetes, nothing... I am in good health per my dr. I simply eat what I want in moderation. I don't measure every single thing I eat, I eye ball much of my food (after the first couple months of measuring) I leave a few hundred exercise calories on the table daily to account for error...weight loss is not a magic formula or a certain diet, it is CICO period. Eat at a deficit, get active and the weight will come off. Be patient, weight loss isn't linear. The scale doesn't always give you a true picture of your efforts. I suggest taking measurements often and transformation pics... If you are not losing weight then you are eating more calories than you are burning. Good luck and stick with it!!! Lifestyle change is not a sprint, its a marathon. B)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It that's how many I've been eating? Lol I'm not cheating

Please understand that no one is saying you are cheating. Most of us have gone through the initial "I don't want a food scale, I don't want to weigh everything" mindset. But the truth is that you are almost certainly eating more calories than you are recording, out of honest error. Cups and handfuls are very hard to gauge accurately and, while it may work for a time, there comes a point where your margin for error just becomes too little and you have to tighten up your calorie counting. Best way to do this is with a food scale.

So no one thinks you are cheating (or lying if that's also on your mind). But they do think you are mistaken.

Read the threads linked in previous posts.

• DesiDesi2016
    DesiDesi2016 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    True you can lose weight with a deficit and eat anything...but you'll be walking the path towards chronic diseases. If you want to be thin and feel like crap then by all means only be concerned with a calorie deficit.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How are you determining your intake?

If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit...

Not true. I wasn't losing for over a month while in a deficit despite staying the same size (actually a bit thinner everywhere with the exception of my stomach). Recently had an intestinal blockage of approximately 14 pounds medically/surgically removed. Please don't be so quick to judge OP. It's not always black and white. You just never know.
  • DesiDesi2016
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    Read the China Study/watch Forks Over Knives:) If you're eating too many (really any) animal products, esp if you're eating a lot of protein/dairy/fat this can make losing weight a challenge.

This is a personal preference which is far from fact... I have been eating protein/dairy/fat all along and have lost 57lb since 11/28/2016. I have no cholesterol issues, no HBP, diabetes, nothing... I am in good health per my dr. I simply eat what I want in moderation. I don't measure every single thing I eat, I eye ball much of my food (after the first couple months of measuring) I leave a few hundred exercise calories on the table daily to account for error...weight loss is not a magic formula or a certain diet, it is CICO period. Eat at a deficit, get active and the weight will come off. Be patient, weight loss isn't linear. The scale doesn't always give you a true picture of your efforts. I suggest taking measurements often and transformation pics... If you are not losing weight then you are eating more calories than you are burning. Good luck and stick with it!!! Lifestyle change is not a sprint, its a marathon. B)

This is far from the truth. I encourage everyone to read the literature and then make their own decision. Have you looked into these materials?
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options

This is far from the truth. I encourage everyone to read the literature and then make their own decision. Have you looked into these materials?

Yes, read scientific literature, not the latest diet fad books. Do not watch biased documentaries, such as Forks over Knives. Much of their information is erroneous and has been debunked.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

which part of this quote is not true?

Are you suggesting that @KelGen02 hasn't lost weight and the thousands of other people who use MFP to monitor calories and who have lost weight with no problem whilst consuming animal products are lying?

That CI/CO - which is scientific fact (repeatedly studied and peer reviewed) is not true?

That weight loss is not linear? (it's not - myself and many others have weight graphs to confirm this)

That the scale doesn't always reflect weight loss, due to water retention?

• DesiDesi2016
    Options

@ehowders which part of this quote is not true?

Are you suggesting that @KelGen02 hasn't lost weight and the thousands of other people who use MFP to monitor calories and who have lost weight with no problem whilst consuming animal products are lying?

That CI/CO - which is scientific fact (repeatedly studied and peer reviewed) is not true?

That weight loss is not linear? (it's not - myself and many others have weight graphs to confirm this)

That the scale doesn't always reflect weight loss, due to water retention?

I meant that focusing on plant foods isn't just my preference. There's tons of literature supporting minimizing animal products and focusing on plant foods for health. That's all. Anyways I'm leaving the discussion now...didn't mean to rile everyone up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mfpanyko wrote: »
    A food scale is invaluable. I use it for as many foods as possible. I can pack a lot of ice cream into a 1/2 cup measure...but the scale doesn't lie!

This^

Measure 1/2 cup of ice cream.....look up the calorie count. Then weigh that serving.....look up the calorie count by grams. I bet there's a huge difference.

Whole fruit - what you think of as a medium banana may actually be a large banana. Peel your banana, weigh it and look up the calories by gram.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Sorry but forks over knives is junk. Millions of people follow a low carb high fat lifestyle with moderate protein and lose weight easily. I eat an average of 100gm of animal protein a day and I'm down 60lbs in 6 months. It's all about a calorie deficit.