How accurate is fitbit calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone. My next question is how do you plan ahead food wise if you don't know how many calories you will burn? It seems like it's vastly different for me every day and fitbit doesn't seem to give me and avg calories i should eat (unless it does and I don't know where to find it)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone. My next question is how do you plan ahead food wise if you don't know how many calories you will burn? It seems like it's vastly different for me every day and fitbit doesn't seem to give me and avg calories i should eat (unless it does and I don't know where to find it)

Look to the Fitbit app, under the Food tile. It tells you over/under on your calories based on what you've logged and what you've burned so far. It assumes BMR for the rest of the day. Such as right now I've logged 1615 and Fitbit says I am overbudget by 210. (I prelog, though I will end up around 1800 calories in - so in reality, I'm 395 over.) But its also almost 11am, I'm only at 3k steps, and I will walk at lunch and then either walk or run this evening at home. PRetty much, I keep moving until the over/under # on the Fitbit app is something I'm happy with.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    No device, even a fitbit, is going to be accurate for everyone. You will need to judge its accuracy for yourself over time by watching your weight gain/loss. Err on the side of caution though, my wife's fitbit was telling her she would be losing weight when she was in fact gaining. It was woefully inaccurate to say the least. We tossed it in the trash and just use our phones with apps now that we like.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Time will tell really.

Mine was useless the first month and really over inflated the burns. Now it is right on the money for me and I eat back 100%.
    I'm in maintenance though.
    Try eating 50%. If you lose too quickly increase it.

I'm not worried about loosing too quickly, more just i like eating haha. I've been losing about a 1 lb to 0.5 a lb a week for quite a while now so an increase in weight loss speed would be quite welcomed

excess skin

I'd keep it at that rate.

This. I lost 40lbs in four months, which isn't totally ridiculous, but it was enough of "too much too fast" to give me a little excess skin under my belly. You can't really notice it unless you look, but I see it in the mirror and it annoys me. I've slowed way down since.

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As noted, no device HR is every truly accurate, but Garmin, Polar, TomTom and higher end FitBit devices will adjust and learn based on your activity level. So initially, they all kind of stink, but will get better over time. So get a device that your friends or motivating people in your life use, as that will aid you in staying motivated.

In regards to planning, it's kind of hit or miss unless you have a fairly consistent routine. I personally don't have a consistent routine, so I plan my meals around my calorie goal, and then will add in snacks / meals to help offset if I have any workouts planned. Some days I'll end up going over, other days I'll be way under...overall it works out in the end for me. If you want to be more precise than that, you will need to spend the time analyzing your daily routines and planning out your week for both workouts and meals ahead of time, which I used to do when I had more free time.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I turned that feature off because I don't want to be tempted to eat back calories. I eat what MFP tells me I can have based on my goals and just leave it at that.
  • DapperDassie
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I turned that feature off because I don't want to be tempted to eat back calories. I eat what MFP tells me I can have based on my goals and just leave it at that.

I purposely have my base calories set very low so that I can eat more or less depending on what I've burned. I used to have my cal set to 1800 and just leave it at that since I'm active throughout the day. Now its set to sedentary and at 1280 so that i need to exercise if i want to eat more. Been working for me. Just weighed in and lost 1.5 lbs this week
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A quick and dirty analysis over two relatively short time spans shows fitbit overestimates my calorie burn by 30%.

This will be my starting point when I reach maintenance. For now I only eat exercise calories when I feel unusually tired or otherwise out of sorts.
  • DapperDassie
    Options

Look to the Fitbit app, under the Food tile. It tells you over/under on your calories based on what you've logged and what you've burned so far. It assumes BMR for the rest of the day. Such as right now I've logged 1615 and Fitbit says I am overbudget by 210. (I prelog, though I will end up around 1800 calories in - so in reality, I'm 395 over.) But its also almost 11am, I'm only at 3k steps, and I will walk at lunch and then either walk or run this evening at home. PRetty much, I keep moving until the over/under # on the Fitbit app is something I'm happy with.

I've looked at that but it still doesn't really help me plan at all. I need a number for the day it telling me over/under isn't neccesarily very helpful esp since its often before I've exercised
  • DapperDassie
    edited May 2017
    Options

Time will tell really.

Mine was useless the first month and really over inflated the burns. Now it is right on the money for me and I eat back 100%.

I'm not worried about loosing too quickly, more just i like eating haha. I've been losing about a 1 lb to 0.5 a lb a week for quite a while now so an increase in weight loss speed would be quite welcomed

excess skin

This. I lost 40lbs in four months, which isn't totally ridiculous, but it was enough of "too much too fast" to give me a little excess skin under my belly. You can't really notice it unless you look, but I see it in the mirror and it annoys me. I've slowed way down since.

I unfortunately already have that from pregnancy
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've read people on here suggesting eating half the exercise calories mfp shows since it overestimates calories burned but what about an HR charge fitbit? How accurate are the calories burned and would i still lose weight if I eat all the exercise calories back?

Very accurate for me. It really varies person to person. I used it to decide on daily calorie intake based on what it said I burned and lost the amount expected.
  • DapperDassie
    Options
    Time will tell really.

excess skin

I unfortunately already have that from pregnancy

Nothing unfortunate about it. You made something awesome, I was just fat. What you did was beautiful, what I did was drink too much beer and eat too many tacos.

Haha aw you're sweet
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing my fitbit. I found that it was inaccurate during my workouts especially. I did the exact same elliptical workout every day and the burn would vary 200-300 calories sometimes. On days I went harder or longer, the calories weren't lining up. And on days I didn't go to the gym it was reccomending calories wayyyy too low for me. like, it would tell me I only should eat 1650-1700 some days, and I had it set to MAINTAIN weight.

Overall, I could only reccomend them for counting steps, personally. I'm sure others have had accurate #'s though.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my charge HR! I don't think it is very accurate though.

Last week is said my weekly burn was 27,000cals and I only put in 20,000 in food over those 7 days. I weigh and measure everything. I am very meticulous with my food. I've been doing this for 5 years now. In theory I should have had a big loss. But I actually gained .4 pounds. Even if I was way off on a couple of meals when I dined out I should have dropped weight by its calculations. I'm down 100 pounds and have been in a plateau since November of 2016. I so miss those epic 2 pound weeks from the beginning of my journey.

I have a very active job on an ICU. I get 20k steps 3 times a week on my 12 hour shifts. Average 10-15k on off days. I am strength training 4 times a week though and I know over the past 6 months I have become much more toned. Even if my body composition is changing I think it would be hard to be gaining very much muscle on that steep of a deficit. So I'm thinking the daily burn is way off. I never eat back more than 50% of what it tells me I can eat and the scale isn't budging at all.

That being said I still love it. The data motivates me and I have at least been able to figure out what maintenance is by comparing it with MFP. I'm sort of a data junkie and have come to really enjoy the process.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    With the apps connected you will minimize your adjustment calories by setting the closest activity setting to reality on MFP.

<5 steps sedentary
    <8.5k lightly active
    <12k active
    <15k very active

Note that the final adjustment is at midnight.

Fitbit assigns BMR * 1 calories per inactive minute whereas MFP assigns 1.x * BMR (1.25 sedentary, 1.4 lightly active, 1.6 active, 1.8 very active respectively
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    mellowadam wrote: »
    I absolutely love my charge HR! I don't think it is very accurate though.

Last week is said my weekly burn was 27,000cals and I only put in 20,000 in food over those 7 days. I weigh and measure everything. I am very meticulous with my food. I've been doing this for 5 years now. In theory I should have had a big loss. But I actually gained .4 pounds. Even if I was way off on a couple of meals when I dined out I should have dropped weight by its calculations. I'm down 100 pounds and have been in a plateau since November of 2016. I so miss those epic 2 pound weeks from the beginning of my journey.

I have a very active job on an ICU. I get 20k steps 3 times a week on my 12 hour shifts. Average 10-15k on off days. I am strength training 4 times a week though and I know over the past 6 months I have become much more toned. Even if my body composition is changing I think it would be hard to be gaining very much muscle on that steep of a deficit. So I'm thinking the daily burn is way off. I never eat back more than 50% of what it tells me I can eat and the scale isn't budging at all.

That being said I still love it. The data motivates me and I have at least been able to figure out what maintenance is by comparing it with MFP. I'm sort of a data junkie and have come to really enjoy the process.

Plateaus aren't really a thing.

If your weight has been stuck since November then you are eating at maintenance. Did you set your stride length in fitbit?
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    whatever number fitbit says I have earned or burned is always much lower than the calories MFP gives me each day. I do not really pay attention to the number, but I am always curious to see what the number is.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    It's always been accurate for me...
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My fitbit overestimates my calories by about 300 per day. I completely ignore it. I use it as a watch and to track my sleep.