Frustrated gain despite effort

Options
Sooo frustrated.
I just had a week where I sveraged 1700 calories a day. I had a week calorie decicit of just shy of 7000. I did walking and went for a hike. I had really good activity the past week.

I ended up gaining well over a pound instead of losing.

It just makes me feel like my efforts are for nothing so now this week i have lost energy and umph.

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Well you don't give much info regarding your stats or what kind of deficit you are aiming for. Nor do you share how your are logging.

we can't be of much help other than to just say this is a marathon not a sprint. Giving up ensures you will never reach any goal. so the choice is yours. Learn in the process. adapt, overcome..or quit.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Sooo frustrated.
    I just had a week where I sveraged 1700 calories a day. I had a week calorie decicit of just shy of 7000. I did walking and went for a hike. I had really good activity the past week.

It just makes me feel like my efforts are for nothing so now this week i have lost energy and umph.

Women's weight can fluctuate up to 5lb day-to-day purely from hormones without taking into account anything else, I wouldn't be panicking over a pound gain. Patience and managing expectations are the way forward!
    jn5kgd4qwmtq.jpg

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sooo frustrated.

Your maintenance calories are 2700? How are you measuring your calorie intake? Are you weighing and measuring your food? As for calorie burn are you eating back any of those calories? MFP and esp machines over inflate those numbers, don't trust them. The chart above is really helpful ^^^.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sooo frustrated.

No no, don't ever give up, yes weightloss is frustrating but you have to know it is not so straight forward, sometimes it stops, sometimes it's rapidly fast. I would say your problem is

1- you don't count your calories properly or you eat more than you think it's all about calories in calories out

2-You have so much stress, stress actually produces Cortisol a fat storing hormone, you have to manage your stress

3-You have digestive issues like bloating etc, cure them.

4- If all above are checked, If your calories are still less than maintenance and you don't lose weight, then your insulin levels are too high due to carbohydrates, try switching to a low carb diet - ketogenic diet or intermittent fasting ( use this as your last card )
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Is that gain within your normal fluctuation range?

Do you know what your normal fluctuation range looks like?

Nobody has a static weight; we all bounce up and down constantly. If you're only looking at two data points, you have no idea what your weight is actually doing.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sooo frustrated.

Women's weight can fluctuate up to 5lb day-to-day purely from hormones without taking into account anything else, I wouldn't be panicking over a pound gain. Patience and managing expectations are the way forward!
    jn5kgd4qwmtq.jpg

This is it lol +1
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    me too this week. I didn't even feel hungry and I only ate 1200 a day and did the elliptical. I think it has to do with the time of the month - I really do - I'm trying not to get discouraged and moving forward. I hope you do too :)
  • ScottishRob1
    ScottishRob1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try and look at the long run. I have been very consistent with my calorie intake and exercise and over the last month or so and there have been weeks when I gained a pound or so and weeks I lost, but overall I lost about 3 pounds so I know I am on the right track. Don't get discouraged, keep pushing!!
  • tammystarren
    tammystarren Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have been on weight watchers and lost 45 pounds in past 8 months. I was getting tired of points so switched to try my fitness pal. This was my first week on it.

My daily goal was set for 1360 as i chose lightly active. I earned extra calories by doing lots of hilly walking and it registered on my fitbit.
    With the fitbit info i had a calorie deficit this week of almost 2lbs. My weight actually was down for several days then all of a sudden i shot up 2lbs in a 24 hour period. This was the day after i did eat too much sodium...1300 over my daily limit.
    I also have a pulled upper back so muscles really tight.
    I was hoping it was sodium and the muscle pain but its so fricken frustrating.
    I have been losing weight for past 8 months . This is out of my norm to shoot up 2lbs.
    Yes i weighed and measured and tracked everything that went in my mouth.
  • tammystarren
    Options
    kimirayray wrote: »
    me too this week. I didn't even feel hungry and I only ate 1200 a day and did the elliptical. I think it has to do with the time of the month - I really do - I'm trying not to get discouraged and moving forward. I hope you do too :)

I have had a hysterectomy but have my ovaries. I dont know when my time of month is. I am 41 years old.
  • tammystarren
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Nobody has a static weight; we all bounce up and down constantly. If you're only looking at two data points, you have no idea what your weight is actually doing.

I weigh in mornings every day. I fluctuate within about 0.6lbs from day to day this was high.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Pulled muscles mean inflammation and water weight will show on the scale. I would hang in there.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I have been on weight watchers and lost 45 pounds in past 8 months. I was getting tired of points so switched to try my fitness pal. This was my first week on it.

My daily goal was set for 1360 as i chose lightly active. I earned extra calories by doing lots of hilly walking and it registered on my fitbit.
    With the fitbit info i had a calorie deficit this week of almost 2lbs. My weight actually was down for several days then all of a sudden i shot up 2lbs in a 24 hour period. This was the day after i did eat too much sodium...1300 over my daily limit.
    I also have a pulled upper back so muscles really tight.
    I was hoping it was sodium and the muscle pain but its so fricken frustrating.
    I have been losing weight for past 8 months . This is out of my norm to shoot up 2lbs.
    Yes i weighed and measured and tracked everything that went in my mouth.

If you were down and then up again, these are just normal fluctuations. Stick at it and monitor your weight over a period of at least 4-6 weeks and I can't emphasise enough patience.
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For instance my weight shot up 5.2 lbs in a day I know my body it's inflammation which causes water weight gain but I know the numbers on the scale will come back down. You have to step back and look at your whole health and diet picture which will not necessarily show on the scale everyday.
  • tammystarren
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Sooo frustrated.

Your maintenance calories are 2700? How are you measuring your calorie intake? Are you weighing and measuring your food? As for calorie burn are you eating back any of those calories? MFP and esp machines over inflate those numbers, don't trust them. The chart above is really helpful ^^^.

1360 is my daily goal because i am lightly active. I earned extra calories by walking etc which was measured on my fitbit.
    I weigh and measure everything i put in my mouth. Very good at that. I lost 45lbs in past 8 months on weight watchers.
    Yes i have been eating back some of my fitness calories as my daily average intake 1700 but not all since i still had a 2lb deficit just under.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

I weigh in mornings every day. I fluctuate within about 0.6lbs from day to day this was high.

That's very helpful information; thank you!

Since you have some pulled muscles and at least one high-sodium day, I wouldn't worry just yet. Sudden jumps on the scale like that are almost always water retention and not actual fat gain. Breathe, relax, and concentrate on healing your pulled muscles :smile:
  • tammystarren
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Well you don't give much info regarding your stats or what kind of deficit you are aiming for. Nor do you share how your are logging.

we can't be of much help other than to just say this is a marathon not a sprint. Giving up ensures you will never reach any goal. so the choice is yours. Learn in the process. adapt, overcome..or quit.

Stats i started at 270lbs last september on weight watchers. I lost 45lbs and am currently at 225lbs. Still a ways to go. ..I switched to mfp this past week for a change from pts. I was actually diwn on scale until the other day shot up 2lbs.

I set up mfp to lose 1.5lb per week and chose lightly active. It gave me daily goal of 1360....i ate 1700 ... I obviously ate back activity cals as was doing lots of hilly walking all week. But still showed almost a 2lb deficit in calories. I use my fit bit 24/7 and thats what has been registering my calorie burn.

Only thing i can think of is the day before my weight shot up i had too much sodium. Recommended 2300 in a day and i ate 3600 that day.

Could it just be that ??
  • tammystarren
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have been so excited to be so close to my 50lb loss. This is just annoying !
  • kathyk1965
    kathyk1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was weigh in for me and like you i think I gained 2lbs this morning same time I weigh it says now I lost 4 lbs 2 I gained plus the two I was aiming for so like you i say what's this all for then I weigh again next day and see a different result but I am one of those people I retain everything I drink so mine goes up and down like a yoyo. I can gain ten lbs in one day with just water weight.
  • NicoleKhb
    NicoleKhb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Listen don't worry too much about it as stressing will only have a negative impact....even if you don't have periods, your body will still be effected....i put on 4lbs around my time, but at first felt exactly like you as it's really disheartening when you know you've been really good and worked hard at it.....the award will come after, when all of a sudden you lose up to 7lbs in one week....just carry on with your efforts (exercise and cal deficit) and I can promise you'll see the impact....chin up girl x