Eating or not eating before working out, does it help?

Options
2»

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do cardio on an empty stomach, and even more rarely, I will workout on an empty stomach, but it usually has more to do with time of day and if I have the "calories to spend" or not. If I know I'm going to be doing anything intensive I make sure I eat a little something an hour before hand because I don't want to, you know, fall and die from being weak of hunger :)

Otherwise I don't think it makes much difference for fat loss. There are theories that fat burning is more efficient after glycogen stores are burned out, but you get the same amount of over all burn regardless of meal timing. It all falls into calories in vs calories out.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I mainly work out in the morning with only having had coffee. My energy varies, but either way I only get about 30 minutes to work out so that's not long enough completely wipe myself out in any scenario. I am usually energetic once I get to work and still don't eat for another 2ish hours. No idea about the fat burn though.

I agree with this. I drink a cup of coffee before I work out. When I did bootcamp int the morning years ago, I would either have a small piece of cheese and a pretzel or a pre-workout formula. I honestly think when you work out and if you need to have something in your stomach are personal preference. I prefer working out in the morning to get it out of the way and to jumpstart my day. There were times in the past I worked out after work because thats what I could do. You just need to pick a routine that works for you, thats whats most important.
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've heard about fasted cardio, but I'm not sure if it helps much.

I'd rather have a snack 30min-1hour before the gym so I can actually do perform. No point in doing fasted workouts if you can't give it your all and work as hard.