Lose ideally 35lbs but realistically 25lbs in 6 months

Options
Is there any recommendation for me to lose ideally 35lbs, but realistically 25lbs in 6 months? Any tips and experiences you can share with me? I'm been in my current weight for a year now (lost 20lbs prior to that). Please advise! Thank you!!!

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal via what MFP tells you to lose 1-1.5lbs a week and stick to it :)
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30 lbs by cutting carbs. I had to because I got diagnosed with Diabetes and it scared the hell out of me. I cut out soda and sweet tea and drastically changed my snacking habits. I went from snacking on chips and candy to yogurt, carrot sticks and fruit. While you don't HAVE to cut carbs to lose weight, its easy to eliminate empty calories by looking at what you are snacking on and drinking during the day and make changes. I HATE drinking my calories now. Unless it is wine.
  • ScottishRob1
    ScottishRob1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Depends on your starting weight. I am 5' 10" and started at almost 270 in January and have lost 37 so far. The first 25 was easy and quick once I went from probably 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day down to 1,800. But it is slow going now. I am happy with my current rate of about a pound a week. That first big weight loss is much easier for guys though, or so I hear.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    HaoKaren wrote: »
    Is there any recommendation for me to lose ideally 35lbs, but realistically 25lbs in 6 months? Any tips and experiences you can share with me? I'm been in my current weight for a year now (lost 20lbs prior to that). Please advise! Thank you!!!

Accurately and honestly log/track your food intake, eating at a calorie deficit of ~650-750 per day.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Set your calorie goal via what MFP tells you to lose 1-1.5lbs a week and stick to it :)

I very much agree with this.

With one small caveat:

Please be aware that your current weight will have an impact on the speed of your success - MFP automatically sets the absolute lowest point for calories at 1200 net calories daily. Even if you set your goal to 1.5 pounds of loss weekly. If the daily number required is lower than that, MFP will increase it to 1200 because that is the lowest recommended daily intake. A couple years ago I ate at 1200 for almost a year. It's doable (and I lost a bunch of weight) but I personally found it too low for my satisfaction and I managed to yoyo my weight back to higher than before I lost anything.

What works best for me is to check my BMR first with a reasonably accurate measuring system and then cut 500-750 from that amount. If that number is below 1200, I strongly recommend upping your physical activity and eating back some or all of your exercise calories.

I'm currently eating between 1600 and 2100 calories a day depending on my activity level that day. I'm losing roughly 1-1.25lbs a week. I am also exercising more than I did at 1200 calories because I have all this energy!

Success with fat loss is s bit of a trial and error experience. The specific plan that works best for one person may not be reasonable for another. I firmly believe in inspiring reasonable, realistic, and sustainable fat loss for everyone. Try things out over the course of a month or so. If it doesn't work, change things until you find something that definitely works for you.