Trying to get to a size 4

Options
2»

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple shape and 5'5 I can get into a UK 8 (US4) trousers at 130 pounds but I've never got into a US 4 top as an adult. There are so many factors someone who works out and does strength training could get into smaller sizes than someone who doesn't who is 10 pounds lighter. it's impossible to answer unfortunately I can imagine the weight range is probably a good 25 pounds dependent on lean mass and weight distribution, it all depends on the individual.

If its a particular size you want though and you're aiming to lose inches I suggest adding some weight training instead of falling into the trap of focusing solely on the scale. Good luck.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    How about instead of trying to get to a size 4, you focus on getting to a healthy weight. For you that would be 105-130lbs.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can give you a precise answer...my suggestion would be to aim for a reasonable goal weight, somewhere in the middle of your BMI range and then evaluate where you're at after that. For a point of reference, I'm 5'9", 145 pounds, and I wear a size 6 Tall. I don't know how much thinner I would need to be in order to fit a size 4. I'm extremely happy at my current weight and I love the way my clothes fit. Maybe you will feel the same way once you get close (or at) your goal weight?

Perfect example. I am 5'9-5'10 and also
    wear a size 6 tall. But I weigh 15 lbs more than you.

@Ironandwine69 That is definitely a great example of different weight on different people can mean wearing a different size! Note to self...need to get serious about recomp lol
  • jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I am apple shaped as well and 5'1". I was a US size 4 when I was 112 lbs.
  • mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also and 61 years old. I weigh 122 currently and wear sizes 0-4, depending upon the mnufacturer. I set my weight goal for the top of my healthy range (136) and then increased activity and ate at slightly below maintenance until I got to my "happy weight." I woke up one morning, said I feel great, and decided whatever the scale showed would be my maintenance weight (118.5). I've been able to maintain that for 3 1/2 years and just struggling slightly now.

I agree with getting healthy and re-assessing your goal then.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple shape and 5'5 I can get into a UK 8 (US4) trousers at 130 pounds but I've never got into a US 4 top as an adult. There are so many factors someone who works out and does strength training could get into smaller sizes than someone who doesn't who is 10 pounds lighter. it's impossible to answer unfortunately I can imagine the weight range is probably a good 25 pounds dependent on lean mass and weight distribution, it all depends on the individual.

If its a particular size you want though and you're aiming to lose inches I suggest adding some weight training instead of falling into the trap of focusing solely on the scale. Good luck.

We are size Twinkies. I am 5'5", at my goal weight of 130, and am wearing a (slightly loose) US size 4. One of the pleasant surprises when I attained my goal was that I went from an apple shape to an hourglass shape.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with what all of you have said above is that it simply depends upon body shape, bone structure and how you carry your weight. The size number in the article of clothing is just that.... a dumb number. My wedding dress 37 years ago was a perfect Vogue size 12. I was 125 @ 5'3". My daughter tried my dress on about a year ago and she too is the same height and weight, fit here exactly the way mine did on my wedding and today world she's a size 5. WTH? Nordstrom's was the store that started the whole 'vanity' sizing thing "Let's call it a size 8 when it's really a 10" it will make the shopper feel better about herself.... what?. Some manufacture's size number doesn't define how you look in a blouse, pants, dress etc... So let's say this, you're given 3 dresses, all fit you perfectly however you didn't know they all had different size numbers in them. One you really liked however it was the largest sized one. Would you actually put it back on the rack because of some number on a tag? When is the last time someone came up to you and checked the size of what you're wearing?
    Feel good about your shape not some fake number on a label. .... Just my opinion, take it or leave it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    A healthy weight range for your height would be 101-137 lbs.
    I would aim for somewhere in that range.

This is so crazy to me. I mean, I'm not disagreeing -- I know that is the range.

But, nearly 40 lbs?! For someone 5'2"?

I guess this makes the case about body composition, but I cannot imagine being deemed "healthy" at the high end of the range.

OP, I'm 5' and 112. (I think I have about 10 more to go.) Currently, I'm a 2 (US), but think I could do a 0 in some cases.

I understand the healthy weight range as being the weights where my risk of developing certain health problems is least. Above or below that range there are more health risks. The range of healthy weights appears to get smaller the shorter you are and larger the taller you are. Shorter people get a raw deal it seems.

I am 5'4" and the range for me is about 107-145 lbs. As an adult I have weighed from 100-180 lbs. I would say I have a medium frame size. My happy spot in my weight range was somewhere between 125-145. The lower end of the range was too thin for me but some people will feel at their best there.

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'll echo everyone above that it will vary quite a bit by body type.

For your reference, I'm 5'1" and more hourglass shaped and naturally muscled (I have thick limbs for my size). I wear a US size 2/4 currently at 123-126 lbs (34 x 25 x 36). I think I started fitting into 4s around 130 with 36" hips. Measurements will be more important than the weight for clothing sizes. Going by clothing size will be more difficult as stores/brands will vary. For example, I fit into a 2 or 4 at most places currently, but when I stopped by Old Navy for the first time in a long time, 2 and XS were loose on me.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It depends on your composition. Muscle vs fat.

Last year I was 134 in a size 4
    I'm 134 today, size 0 I have more muscle less fat.
    Same pants as last year size 4 DO NOT FIT way too big. I still wear them bc belts exisit and I'm not planning on staying a 0 for long

I've worn a size 10 at 150 I've worn a size 6 at 150 Dress that fit at higher body fat 150 did not fit and was too big at a lower body fat 150.

My size 0 looks different than someone else who has less muscle mass
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has given plenty of good advice here, but it depends on the store too. Size 4s can be very different things in different places. For example, you might be an Old Navy or Target 4 at 130 lbs or more, but an Aritzia or Zara size 4 only at 110 lbs.

Measurements might be a better place to start if you're looking for a non-weight goal, or a specific piece of clothing.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bikemom06 wrote: »
    I am 5' 8" and when I was down to 130-135 the smallest size I could wear was a size 9/10. It is crazy how body shapes/sizes can be so different.
    I'm 5'8 and wore a size 4 when I was 130-135 but that weight would look different on someone 5'2.

5'9" and i'm a 2 at 130lb.... it's not so much that different body types mean different sizes.. just more so that some women carry MUCH more fat than others. I have always been leaned out and relatively slender even at my highest weight of 145lbs. If your weight is low, then it is an issue of body composition, not weight. Which is a very real problem for most women. I fortunately am outside that bracket. I still have my goals and would like to tone even more though especially since I spent 90% of my life looking like a flamingo. Now I'm just barely bigger, and I notice that small difference so much.
  • elizabethmcr
    elizabethmcr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    FYI I'm 5'2 and weigh between 139-141 and I'm a size 8. I've been doing a lot of weight training recently and I run 5K six days per week but I wouldn't say I'm super muscular.

In my experience I drop a size about every ten pounds lost (by size I mean 8 to a 6 to a 4). I would think for me personally I'd be a size four at around 120 lbs.

Good luck!
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and wore a size 4 when I was 130-135 but that weight would look different on someone 5'2.

And I'm 5'8" and when I weighed 135 I wore a 9/10. I hate going by sizes, I try not to even worry about that anymore.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It'll definitely vary! I'm just under 5' and at 135lbs I was a size 8. When I was a 4, I was closer to 100lbs.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and not very muscular also from the USA. For me, I don't think I could get into a size 4 unless I was like 105 lbs because of the way I fit into pants. Like right now I'm 140 and a size 12 but I know 5' 2" and 140 lb people who are in a size 8. I would say on average though 110-115lbs? You could always get to that weight and lose more if a size 4 still doesn't fit.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My friend and I are both 5'6 when I was 200lbs I wore a size 18

My friend is 200 now and can fit into a 14.

OMG, your profile picture is horrifying! LOL
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    A healthy weight range for your height would be 101-137 lbs.
    I would aim for somewhere in that range.

This is so crazy to me. I mean, I'm not disagreeing -- I know that is the range.

But, nearly 40 lbs?! For someone 5'2"?

I guess this makes the case about body composition, but I cannot imagine being deemed "healthy" at the high end of the range.

OP, I'm 5' and 112. (I think I have about 10 more to go.) Currently, I'm a 2 (US), but think I could do a 0 in some cases.

The way people carry weight is different. I'm 4'11" and at 112 I look too thin and sick but between 120 and 125 I look healthy. I would hate being 100lbs or a size 0 because my body looks horrible that way. The recommended weight range for my hieght is appropriately 95 to 125 and I look best and am healthier at the top of my weight range.