Ketogenic diet

Options
Just read abt the keto diet. Anyone have luck with? The food list looks very manageable. My problem is my sweet tooth. I read online that this myfitness app had a keto diet on it to go by? I have yet to find it. 6 ft and 215. Typical dadbod. Weight watchers and atkins don't help really. Just joined a gym. Single dad to a picky lil girl who only wants junk to eat so it's harder for me to stay healthy. Just looking for some friendly advice. God bless.

Replies

• mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hello there, I'm on cycling ketogenic diet, it's a really good diet but it isn't optimal for building muscle. it's a great fat loss tool but if you're looking to build muscle, It's not what you should go for, also it had a disadvantage if you go too long without carbs your body won't function properly (some people will argue about this but for me I don't)

And it's so hard to have it as a life style. That's why I suggest you using the cycling ketogenic diet which you go low carb 5-6 days like the original keto diet and you have 1-2 re feed days ( you can make those days when your daughter wants junk food, and you can have it with her, just don't go above your calorie limit )

Also plan what you're going to eat and keep it nearby, this will help you stay on your diet.

But overall, some people suggest not doing keto for longer than 6months without taking a break to allow carbs in once again.
  • pat0254
    pat0254 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I am on the Ketogenic diet. I've listened to experts speak about it and was quite impressed. Seems a lot of people are becoming over weight and obese because of sugar and carbs. Go online to YouTube and look up Dr. Westman if you want more information. From all I've read, and what I see happening to me personally, I'm going to stick to it and get into better health. . Been on it for over 3 weeks now and doing very well. I have a bullet proof coffee in the morning and 2 meals a day. I feel filled up all day as long as I keep the fat intake to around 75% , carbs, 5% and protein to about 20%. Experts say you can make it a lifestyle. Interested, check it out.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I also suggest you check out the flowing main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Personally, yes I've had the best luck with LCHF to the point where I'm now a Keto lifer. Over the course of 22.5 months, I successfully eliminated 167 pounds (well more than I weigh now)! Like you, I also have a huge sweet tooth, but that's one thing I like about LCHF...I can safely indulge my sweet tooth without sabotaging my efforts (if interested, see my profile for full story and details). Also since transitioning from weight-loss to weight-maintenance, I DID build muscle while still at Keto levels. Still currently working on my goals where strength straining, toning up and building muscle are concerned.
  • TEJASRIM
    TEJASRIM Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If not ketogenic diet, you can try with some low carb diets, which are far sustainable than ketogenic diets. This will help you in shredding fat at the same time helps in gaining muscles. I came across sustainable low carb diet from GETSETGO FITNESS and its really fun following low carb diet. Hope this will help you.

Tejasri
    Intern-GETSETGO FITNESS
  • laineysdaddy
    laineysdaddy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I'm on cycling ketogenic diet, it's a really good diet but it isn't optimal for building muscle. it's a great fat loss tool but if you're looking to build muscle, It's not what you should go for, also it had a disadvantage if you go too long without carbs your body won't function properly (some people will argue about this but for me I don't)

And it's so hard to have it as a life style. That's why I suggest you using the cycling ketogenic diet which you go low carb 5-6 days like the original keto diet and you have 1-2 re feed days ( you can make those days when your daughter wants junk food, and you can have it with her, just don't go above your calorie limit )

Also plan what you're going to eat and keep it nearby, this will help you stay on your diet.

But overall, some people suggest not doing keto for longer than 6months without taking a break to allow carbs in once again.

Thank you!!
  • laineysdaddy
    Options
    Thank you!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Just read abt the keto diet. Anyone have luck with? The food list looks very manageable. My problem is my sweet tooth. I read online that this myfitness app had a keto diet on it to go by? I have yet to find it. 6 ft and 215. Typical dadbod. Weight watchers and atkins don't help really. Just joined a gym. Single dad to a picky lil girl who only wants junk to eat so it's harder for me to stay healthy. Just looking for some friendly advice. God bless.

You are the parent. You determine what she eats - id work on your eating habits together. Perhaps finding some strategies for introducing better options will be beneficial for both of you!
  • laineysdaddy
    Options
    I've tried changing her habits. She ate everything as a toddler. Now she says she hates everything without even trying it. So I've been tricking her lol. Like she loves bagel bites the pizza kind. She refused to eat the ones with sausage. So i cooked the kind with sausage and pepperoni and she loved it and ate it. But was so mad at me when she found out i tricked her lol. But we've cut out her happy meals to once a week. And I'm starting to put my foot down and say eat what i eat or go to bed hungry or have a 2nd back up food choice for her.