I get a little help from my friends...please!

Options
Hi All!

So, currently I'm eating at a slight deficit ( I use the TDEE method as a point of reference) to lost the last 10 pounds to my goal. I do lift weights at Orange Theory, so, while I'm not a complete noob, I still consider myself a novice! Plus, I'm def uneducated when it comes to this world. So, I'm really looking forward to learning from you all :smile:

Once I hit my goal, I would like to create more definition, but NOT gain weight. So, would that be considered recomposition?

Are there any links, books, or just advice on how to go about this? I'm kinda intimated by free weights at the gym, so the tips esp would help give me some peace of mind.

I looked at the sticky that has all the plans listed, but my gosh...that list is SO long! I don't even know where to start.

I want to start learning now, so that once I lose the last 10, I'm prepared to do this the right way.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    To have more definition you must meet two criteria, first is having muscle to show and second is being lean enough for it to show. I think there's a sticky here that lists a bunch of training plans by goal and experience level. Thumb through them and find one that fits what you think you want, research it and start lifting! To build muscle though you have to eat enough to make it grow so by manipulating your nutrition you can control your weight gains. Good luck on your journey!
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    Once I hit my goal, I would like to create more definition, but NOT gain weight. So, would that be considered recomposition?
    Yes, that is recomp.
    Are there any links, books, or just advice on how to go about this? I'm kinda intimated by free weights at the gym, so the tips esp would help give me some peace of mind.

I looked at the sticky that has all the plans listed, but my gosh...that list is SO long! I don't even know where to start.

I want to start learning now, so that once I lose the last 10, I'm prepared to do this the right way.

It sounds to me like you are looking for hypertrophy rather than strength; so choose a lifting program focused on hypertrophy that appeals to you. But, since you are wanting to learn now it is worth reading up on all of the beginner programs in the sticky thread. Each program has a link that will describe to you what the program is trying to do. That will then give you a better background understanding of why particular rep ranges and weight amounts are chosen in any particular program.

You need not lift free weights, machines can also build muscle. If you google "free weights vs. machines" you will certainly get plenty of articles to read about the pros and cons of each relative to the other. Good form is easier on machines, for example, but the cost of that good form is that stabilizer muscles are less engaged.

Another great place for learning is the collection of experts that this community created: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10505468/who-are-the-experts-worth-listening-to/p1

Some of those are vloggers on Youtube, some are old-fashioned print experts. I recommend learning from several to give you a balanced perspective.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To have more definition you must meet two criteria, first is having muscle to show and second is being lean enough for it to show. I think there's a sticky here that lists a bunch of training plans by goal and experience level. Thumb through them and find one that fits what you think you want, research it and start lifting! To build muscle though you have to eat enough to make it grow so by manipulating your nutrition you can control your weight gains. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, and help a girl out!!! I'll take a look at those stickies and get better informed so I can best meet my goals :)
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    kaygold wrote: »
    Yes, that is recomp.

It sounds to me like you are looking for hypertrophy rather than strength; so choose a lifting program focused on hypertrophy that appeals to you. But, since you are wanting to learn now it is worth reading up on all of the beginner programs in the sticky thread. Each program has a link that will describe to you what the program is trying to do. That will then give you a better background understanding of why particular rep ranges and weight amounts are chosen in any particular program.

You need not lift free weights, machines can also build muscle. If you google "free weights vs. machines" you will certainly get plenty of articles to read about the pros and cons of each relative to the other. Good form is easier on machines, for example, but the cost of that good form is that stabilizer muscles are less engaged.

Another great place for learning is the collection of experts that this community created: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10505468/who-are-the-experts-worth-listening-to/p1

Some of those are vloggers on Youtube, some are old-fashioned print experts. I recommend learning from several to give you a balanced perspective.

Wow! Thanks so much for your very informative response! I'm going to look at the stickies and the other "experts" thread you recommended! I'm also going to learn what hypertrophy is lol that is the first time I've heard that term. Thanks again!