Pinched sciatic nerve stretches/exercise.

Options
So recently I had a lot of lower back/buttocks/leg pain & I stopped being stubborn thinking it was soreness from the gym & went to the doctors.
Turned out to be a pinched sciatic nerve. Yay me.
So I'm on bed rest/taking it easy from work til money. On top of the muscle relaxers & pain killers, my doctor recommended I try some stretches/exercises to help loosen the muscle & what not.
So, has anyone ever had one of these & did any exercises/stretches to help with recover?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your injury. Glad you went to the doctor. Perhaps you could ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist for the appropriate exercises. You need very specific exercises for this condition. Be aware that when putting something out here on the internet, you may get some good advice, and you will also get bad advice that could aggravate the condition, but you may not be able to tell the difference until it's too late. Buyer beware. Just sayin'.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I was pregnant. You have my sympathy - it HURTS! Chiropractic care helped me (well, that and having the baby!)
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Foam roller has helped me a lot with my sciatic pain. Did the doctor recommended any specific exercise?
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've had lower back pain for the past 6 years due to labor intensive jobs. It's progressively gotten worse due to me not doing anything (I don't have insurance so I never went to see a doctor). Since it's gotten so bad for the past year I've been really focusing on stretching my back muscles (I've taken up yoga) as well as strengthening my core by doing high rep exercises at the gym.

I wonder if the pain is due to a pinched sciatic nerve...

But anyways, the yoga has really helped me. But you can over stretch and make things worse so be careful.

I hope that you can heal and get rid of the pain!
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh and sweet ninja turtles t shirt :)
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Foam roller has helped me a lot with my sciatic pain. Did the doctor recommended any specific exercise?

He didn't really say anything specific. He said to look rehab sciatic nerve exercising & stretching
    But he also forewarned me about over stretching. Lol
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble with sciatic pain in the past. I first went to my doctor for this pain and found that it was sciatic pain. My doctor referred me to a physical therapist. The exercises that were prescribed to me were very helpful. Did your doctor not refer you to a physical therapist?
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    I have had trouble with sciatic pain in the past. I first went to my doctor for this pain and found that it was sciatic pain. My doctor referred me to a physical therapist. The exercises that were prescribed to me were very helpful. Did your doctor not refer you to a physical therapist?

No he didn't.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You could probably do some exercises at home for this problem, but I felt more comfortable with a professional helping me. I was afraid that I might do something wrong and make the problem more severe. Could you ask your doctor if physical therapy might be good for you? I wish you well, I know the pain you are going through. :)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    did you have any tests or did he just say it was pinched I have problems in that area and until I found someone that really knew and tested not much relief. The Sciatic nerve either passes thru or lays just under your piriformis muscle and that can get inflamed thru exercise or work and press on the sciatic nerve and that calls for a different type of treatment including some anti inflammatory for muscle. its not easy to stretch a nerve. To just treat it by yourself could lead to problems. Try to talk to a PT preferably sports oriented. I " self treated " for a long time without much success
  • ceo22361
    ceo22361 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try stretching with sitting and putting the soles of you feet together or lay and put the soles of you feet together. Slow lunges also help really worked for me
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    did you have any tests or did he just say it was pinched I have problems in that area and until I found someone that really knew and tested not much relief. The Sciatic nerve either passes thru or lays just under your piriformis muscle and that can get inflamed thru exercise or work and press on the sciatic nerve and that calls for a different type of treatment including some anti inflammatory for muscle. its not easy to stretch a nerve. To just treat it by yourself could lead to problems. Try to talk to a PT preferably sports oriented. I " self treated " for a long time without much success

He had me do some stretches & asked where the pain was. But no other tests.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have it too. It's usually a combination of a tight psoas and/or the piriformis being inflamed and pinching it. I get a massage for that, then use the lacrosse ball on both the psoas and piriformis. Stretching and foam rolling does *kitten*.

Look up self myofascial release for psoas and piriformis.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    OP, I read your first post about this, and literally got mine like the next day. So it started Saturday or so. I started with the lacrosse ball right away, but told my masseuse I needed piriformis and/or psoas release two days ago and it's about better. Get on it.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options

In my humble opinion he should have referred you to some physical therapy!

He didn't really say anything specific. He said to look rehab sciatic nerve exercising & stretching

Can't agree more w/ using caution trying to stretch this out.
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I have it too. It's usually a combination of a tight psoas and/or the piriformis being inflamed and pinching it. I get a massage for that, then use the lacrosse ball on both the psoas and piriformis. Stretching and foam rolling does *kitten*.

Look up self myofascial release for psoas and piriformis.

Agree!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 I am always hunting for psoas releases, can you share anything specific about your technique or do you just hang out face down with the ball there?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Personally I would find a new doctor. Any medical professional that told me to search random sites for my treatment plan would not get another penny from me.

• bbell1985
    Options
    @bbell1985 I am always hunting for psoas releases, can you share anything specific about your technique or do you just hang out face down with the ball there?

Yeah the other one I use is the Kelly Starret video of psoas release and flossing. Basically jamming a lacrosse ball into the psoas with a heavy weight lol. If you don't look it up I'll insert the video later. At work now
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would go to a licensed physical therapist before trying anything I read on the internet. I speak from personal experience.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    Once I'm healed & comfortable working out, what are some things you guys do to help prevent it?
    My doctor told me core workouts to help build the muscle & lower back. I asked if a weight lifting belt would help & he said it could.

I just don't want to stop doing leg workouts or lower back workouts because of this, I just want to be able to do them properly so I can prevent it from happening.