Being an addict and staying focused (or lack thereof)

I'm curious how many out there have an addiction (to something/anything) and how you manage to stay focused on logging entries into your diary and/or a disciplined weight loss. Do you? Do you find it over-whelming?

Do you find yourself putting MFP to the side and "treating" yourself to a good meal to counter-act an addiction?

I leave addiction undefined as many out there can struggle with a wide range of addictions. The most obvious addiction could be a food or sugar addiction, but what about an opioid, drug or smoking addiction? An obsessive compulsive addiction? For privacy and removed judgment, responses don't need to name the addiction.

What have you done about your addiction? Do you find MFP and the maintenance with eating right/counting calories distracting from the addiction? Was it too over-whelming and made your addiction worse and you've recovered and returned to MFP? Since you're reading this, you're obviously using MFP -- what changed? What helped?

Replies

• nmiddleton
    nmiddleton Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2017
    I am definitely a food addict. I just eat to eat. I don't know how to stop it. I've tried mental help. I've been very over weight most of my life. I've lost weight and gained weight many times. I want to stop the cycle!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    To become free from the addictive behavior, you have to let go of the restrictive mentality.
  • kevin_montgomery
    kevin_montgomery Posts: 20 Member
    I have been alcoholic before. I recently found myself drifting down that path again. After some seriously dark times, I decided that I needed to step away from the booze for a while and focus on improving myself. Have I quit drinking all together? No. However, my new dedication to my health has helped me get back in line. Now I may have a beer or two on the weekend if friends are over. This is much better than killing a bottle of bourbon a night with a 2 liter of coke and about 3,500 cals of food for the day.
  • 355Suzy
    355Suzy Posts: 1 Member
    Addicted to FB, and gaming. I keep deleting the games and then adding them back; my food plan reflects that same behavior. Four to seven hours gaming is not normal behavior. Have deleted the games again and will install the Freedom app in a few minutes to limit my FB time. Many personal issues out of my control cause me to bury my head in social media sand and knowing what I should do and then not do it adds to the anxiety. My faith is my biggest strength and gives me the courage to keep trying. I am almost halfway through my weight loss journey. Physically active but no regular exercise.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    nmiddleton wrote: »
    I am definitely a food addict. I just eat to eat. I don't know how to stop it. I've tried mental help. I've been very over weight most of my life. I've lost weight and gained weight many times. I want to stop the cycle!!!

So sorry you're in that space. Have you worked with a therapist who focuses on cognitive
    behavior therapy? I found this extremely helpful when I felt my life was out of control. Wishing you the best of luck!