Propanolol/beta blockers

Options
Has anyone had any issues with weight gain and propanolol? I take it to prevent migraines and recently did some research and found a lot of people struggling with weight gain and trying to lose it when on beta blockers. Apparently they reduce the way the body responds to insulin. I have discussed with my Gp about coming off it as he also felt there was a connection. Just wondered if anyone else had any experience.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm taking bisoprolol which is a selective beta-blocker. I've read about non selective beta-blokers and alpha-blockers having effect on metabolism but I have no experience. Also I think they effect metabolism very little. Not like 500cal less a day. So shouldn't interfere with weightloss in any noticeable way.
    You could ask your GP about bisoprolol though.
  • aaronmefford
    aaronmefford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had that problem on propranolol. Gained about 20 while taking it. Does help headaches though. Be careful if you go off It. I had some rough depression from stoping it. Now I'm losing but have terrible headaches. Hard to tell what's worse.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My son was on it for years for migraines. He took it when he was in grade school, and was on a low dose, he was/is slender, it did not cause weight gain, but caused lethargy, which I'm sure could contribute to weight gain in adults.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    theledger5 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues with weight gain and propanolol? I take it to prevent migraines and recently did some research and found a lot of people struggling with weight gain and trying to lose it when on beta blockers. Apparently they reduce the way the body responds to insulin. I have discussed with my Gp about coming off it as he also felt there was a connection. Just wondered if anyone else had any experience.

Beta blockers only reduce the effectiveness of exogenous insulin, meaning the type of insulin that you inject into your body. This would only apply if you are a diabetic, and even then would not have any impact on weight gain or loss.

That being said, there are beta blockers that do cause weight gain. The weight gain is usually minimal at 2-4 pounds and usually happens during the first few weeks of taking it. If it's working for you by stopping your headaches when nothing else has, it might be a small price to pay. However, if you decide you don't want to take them anymore because of the weight gain, DO NOT abruptly discontinue. Doing so can cause some serious heart related issues. Contact your dr and get on a plan to safely wean yourself off.