1 cal spray v olive oil

nursekirsty
nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
What's everyone's preference to cook with?

Obviously the calorie saving can be decent but is olive better for the health benefits?

Which should I be using

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited May 2017
    You can get Olive Oil 1 cal spray - problem solved :smile:

That's been one of my biggest changes to my diet, I used to slosh olive oil in the pan, all over roast potatoes. Now I use a couple of sprays instead and save myself about 150 cals per meal.

or you can buy an oil spray bottle (available online). I got one from Avon which sprays and pours.
    6xz8lzx13a4t.jpg

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Be cautious with spray oil if you have good quality non stick pans - it can absolutely ruin them.

Otherwise - use what you prefer and what fits your calorie goals. We certainly need some fat to stay health but if you get your fats from other foods then the spray may be a good choice.
    Also be aware that it's only one calorie if you follow the instructions- if you spray for 30 seconds, odds are it will be much more than one cal.
  • nursekirsty
    Thank you both with try and get a spray bottle and stick olive oil in it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Thank you both with try and get a spray bottle and stick olive oil in it

I suggest weighing the bottle before and after to see how much you actually use. It's harder to do with PAM and stuff because there's more than just oil in the bottles though.

Or I'd log 20 calories of oil every time just in case.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Also when using olive oil make sure the bottle is dark and not see through Olive oil is sensitive to light and will go rancid when exposed to light
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    When they say the spray is 1 calorie that is for a spray that lasts a fraction of a second. Spray it for five seconds and you'll end up with about 50 calories that you probably don't realize you're consuming. I do have an olive oil spray that I cook with, I spray for about 2-3 seconds and log 30 calories.
  • RosslynP
    RosslynP Posts: 8 Member
    I use evoo, real butter and coconut oils for cooking. I also use oils on salads etc. - no low calorie options and I feel fantastic. It is just that I'm aware of the quantity and integrate that into my calorie allocation for the day to ensure I'm not going overboard with the portions. It's really easy to think you are using a splash when you are using 300 cals worth of oil! I tend to use about a tbsp of olive oil (approx 110 cals) per recipe (usually covers 3-4 portions, so not too much per meal).

I think it is really important to have a varied source of good fats, including olive oil, as they keep you fuller longer, energetic and healthy. Just watch portion size and ensure the cals are counted :)
  • nursekirsty
    I am In the uk and most of our sprays aren't not aerosol but pump action so one pump is 1 cal
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    RosslynP wrote: »
    I use evoo, real butter and coconut oils for cooking. I also use oils on salads etc. - no low calorie options and I feel fantastic. It is just that I'm aware of the quantity and integrate that into my calorie allocation for the day to ensure I'm not going overboard with the portions. It's really easy to think you are using a splash when you are using 300 cals worth of oil! I tend to use about a tbsp of olive oil (approx 110 cals) per recipe (usually covers 3-4 portions, so not too much per meal).

I think it is really important to have a varied source of good fats, including olive oil, as they keep you fuller longer, energetic and healthy. Just watch portion size and ensure the cals are counted :)

This is what I do too. Real butter, organic coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil. These fats are healthy!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I am In the uk and most of our sprays aren't not aerosol but pump action so one pump is 1 cal

Didn't realise you were in the UK, thought you were an American lol - Tesco sell Frylight Olive Oil version which is 1cal per spray, I've never bothered logging it, because I only use enought to stop stuff from sticking to the pan, I probably burn more calories than I use, walking around my flat whilst I am charging my tracker.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I use eevo in a spray bottle. And recently I bought a bottle of 100% evoo in a spray bottle.
    We also have regular olive oil. And butter. And coconut oil. Depends on what I'm doing.
    This morning I'm going to grill a veggie burger, then toast/grill the sandwich thin and melt some cheese (for my lunch). That's a spray evoo moment AFAIC.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I use eevo in a spray bottle. And recently I bought a bottle of 100% evoo in a spray bottle.
    We also have regular olive oil. And butter. And coconut oil. Depends on what I'm doing.
    This morning I'm going to grill a veggie burger, then toast/grill the sandwich thin and melt some cheese (for my lunch). That's a spray evoo moment AFAIC.

This is similar to me. I have EVOO in a spritzer which I use for some cooking. For other cooking I use coconut oil or avocado oil or butter or a bit more olive oil. For a salad I use EVOO from a bottle. Sometimes the calories from the oil are worth it for the taste, and sometimes I want to minimize them. Lately I've been doing a lot of vegetables in coconut oil since I like the taste, some fish preparations I do are with butter, since the butter adds to the taste, it just depends.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I use this:
    https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Silicone-Basting-Pastry/dp/B000JPSI8C

I pour a little oil in to a small bowl and then dip the brush in. Weigh the bowl before and after?