Help, 9 week old injury

Options
9 weeks ago I pulled the abductor muscles and also the hamstring. On August 18th I will be moving and will be lifting furniture, boxes and up and down stairs.

I have been working out but it always still hurts, not as bad as when I first did it. My question is... should I stop working out between now and then to see if it heals up before the big move???

Replies

• hellhammer
    hellhammer Posts: 45
    Options
    rest and ice i just came back from serious ankle injury i didnt not put ice for 2 weeks and nothing was getting better i did ice it for 3 days and now im back to minor running :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes. Continuing to work out with a injury will only make it worse and/or prolong your recovery time. RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would say don't stop, just try more low impact exercises, like yoga, tai chi, or walking, and stretching.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    YES!! It hasn't gone away because you are continuing to aggravate it. Best thing to do is RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation). It stinks, I know, but it won't go away on it's own. I had to take 3 weeks off from running (that I really couldn't afford), due to some aches/pains from some previously undiagnosed bone spurs. The pain is gone, but the bone spurs remain. I'm sure I would still be in pain though if I had not taken that time off.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    the answer - YES. It takes a while for those particiular pulls to mend. Easy activity is good but nothing heavy. Rehab the injury too, ice, warm pads, more ice. You can get light massages to help with recovery as well. Just a note - the older we are the longer recovery takes, so factor in your age as well. I know when I pulled my hamstring it took weeks. Hope you feel better.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Also sitting all the time hurt it too... what should I do. I've been walking on the treadmill but that bothers. I do walk away the pounds and it doesn't bother as much as walking.

I can't do Yoga it bothers it. Any other suggestions? Just so I don't sit all the time.

Thank you for all the advise
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    rest and ice i just came back from serious ankle injury i didnt not put ice for 2 weeks and nothing was getting better i did ice it for 3 days and now im back to minor running :)

I had been icing it forever but it just won't heal completely. It's been 9 weeks...ugh!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

I had been icing it forever but it just won't heal completely. It's been 9 weeks...ugh!

You need to just take a few days and do NOTHING!! Your body will thank you.