What's the best advice you have?

Options
2»

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Don't get your advice from bodybuilding websites/magazines/articles. Just plug your numbers into MyFitnessPal and do what it says. That is by FAR the best results I have EVER had.
  • 2013allen
    2013allen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me it is remembering not to fall off the wagon. Eating a cookie should not screw with your whole day. Just eat it and move on.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.

I think of it as keep it as simple as possible. There is stuff to learn (read the forum stickies) and there is stuff that I NEED to do (weigh food, log everything), but there is stuff that makes it more complicated than it needs to be for me (keto, IF). So you have to figure out what level of simple works for you. Be ready to play with it and adjust as needed.

Track your results and celebrate the small wins as well as the big ones. Even if the celebration is just posting in a thread about your success.

I agree with simplicity- the easier whatever method you find works for you fits into your schedule, I feel like it would be easy to maintain those habits in the long term. If something feels "off" or you are miserable, there are plenty of other methods out there that might work better for you. Don't be afraid to experiment a little and listen to your body :smiley: Good luck!
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale, they're inexpensive. Eyeballing and guesstimating can be WAY off!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated. The best weight loss tool is a food scale, however you actually have to use it. ;)
  • cheethnico
    cheethnico Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't let a bad food day become a bad week/month draw a line under it and start a fresh you can pull it back
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    vaman wrote: »
    Invest in a food scale, they're inexpensive. Eyeballing and guesstimating can be WAY off!

I learned how true this is yesterday, when my first food scale arrived. I found that I was seeiously OVER-estimating how many calories I was eating by 40-50% (!), and had been starving myself on accident.

Don't do the same boneheaded thing I did--get a scale and get those nutrients!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Food scale.

Eat foods you like.

Only give up something you're willing to give up for life.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    epratt1000 wrote: »
    Oh there's so much good advice. There are 2 pieces of advice that helps me.

ONE. I've always been heavy from the tender age of 8ish. I'm am 50 years old now and it took me 42 years to get as fat as I did. I need to know that losing weight is not a quick thing. Society tries to brain wash is to think that losing weight fast is the best way. Usually by severly restricting calories but that weight loss is never long term. People go back to eating the way they trained themselves to In order to get fat originally.

I originally set a goal of 2 lbs per week and Initially I averaged more than that. Now that I'm 20 lbs from my goal weight it gets harder. But I am still using a MFP but not starving myself. I have retrained the way I eat. I live in Las Vegas, the land of all-you-can-eat buffets. I purposely go to one every week and train myself to eat the right amount of food.

Along the way you will have setbacks. But keep logging your food and exercising. And as long as the trend is downward over a 3 month period you are on the right track. If it's not downward by even the smallest amount make a minor adjustment in you calorie intake.

TWO. You don't have to sweat to exercise. When I heard this I thought "yeah right" but it's true. I walk a lot. Usually in the morning. When I started the distance was about 1.5 miles. Now I walk up to 8 miles a day. 5-6 miles in the morning and the rest throughout the day. If I'm in a parking lot I par far from the entrance. I take the stairs when reasonable. I do get workouts when I am sweating a lot about 3 times a week. By jogging up a hill or bleachers but that is mainly for my heart and cardiovascular health.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Highest weight I have ever been: 275 lbs

MFP SW: 260 lbs
    CW: 187 lbs
    GW: 165 lbs

I think I would fail the "All You Can Eat Buffet" test, especially if they have French fries and pizza.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "To thine own self be honest".
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Lower your expectations
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!