Getting a new bike for Mother's Day! Suggestions welcome!

Options
LZMiner
LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
I'm so excited. I asked for new tires for my 17-year old Diamondback mountain bike (I'm so low maintenance) and spouse said it was time to trade up! Looking for suggestions---I'm not a racer but do ride quite a bit in the summer...mostly suburban, sometimes trails...Looking to stay under $400.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hybrid. Work decent enough on the street but can still go on light trails.

Just bought one this month (at Canadian Tire, so doubt the brand is helpful) as I found riding to work on my Cruiser (Townie) didn't work so well.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the bike shop and seeing if they have anything in last year's model that fits. You can get a lot more bike for your money and still have a new bike by buying last year's model. They don't often change much from year to year except for the paint, especially at that price point.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A hybrid is a great choice, it's what I went with. I'm comfortable riding pavement and sand roads found around here with mine.
  • suzjmac
    suzjmac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid liv for off road and country lanes. Built up from initially 10km to 45km workout x3 week. Really comfy women's bike.
    I also have a whyte mountain bike for the seriously fun cycling and workout on the hills.
    It depends what you want to do. A bike with disc brakes is recommended. Try bike before you buy.