A Good Alcohol Drink For Diet?

Options

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Recently discovered Woodruff Reserve Bourbon. Tulip scotch tasting glass, ice cube, fill to top of cube - sip. 70cal.

yummy.

WoodFORD Reserve...

Haha! Correct - no idea where "woodruff" came from.

• court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hudrator wrote: »
    red wine + cola

OK, this is just wrong! ;-)

i've actually had that in mexico like ten years ago! they also mix sprite and corona, but they could have been trying to get us americans into drinking ridiculous stuff LOL haven't had them since.

usually stick to drinking these in order of preference:
    vodka sodas with three limes OR vodka mios (i've definitely gotten in trouble with these... be careful)
    light beer - shiner light, miller lite are usuals
    wine- when i'm feeling fah-ncy

can't drink much else, otherwise it tastes too much like college.
  • msshelagh
    msshelagh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whiskey (Rye; Bourbon; Irish) or Scotch is my alcohol of choice.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'll eat super light or fast on drinkin' days. Doing that has the added benefit that it takes a lot less alcohol, so calories stay down all the way around.
  • CherishJoannaModel
    CherishJoannaModel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My drink is more of mixing of 2 parts at least of Bombay dry gin with diet tonic to the top of mason jar and lots of lime juice. I usually lessen the dinner on that night and have a drink before bedtime. Life is hard! So far my weight keeps coming back to the same number.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Gin Ricky.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know it slow my progress, but love a silky cabernet, refuse to give it up. From reading the replies did not know so many people are against alcohol.. but hey to each his (or her) own.
  • CapSierra
    CapSierra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A note of caution. A 'shot' is not one ounce. Rather, it is 1 1/2 ozs. So a 'shot' of vodka would be ~ 105 calories.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If my calorie budget is very tight and I still want to imbibe, I generally sip straight liquor (tequila or bourbon most often). If I have a little more room to play, I might have a cocktail or a beer. I frequently drink wine with meals.

As far as beer goes, and avoiding all the usual suspects as far as reduced calories go, Guinness is surprisingly low cal (as noted above), and there are an awful lot of session beers and gose / quasi-sours out there that are reasonably low cal and waaayyyy better than a Michelob Ultra or a Bud Light. Anderson Valley has several goses, Sierra Nevada has Otra Vez, and there seems to be a mad rush for sours or "fake" sours that generally have two things in common -- some sort of fruit tartness flavoring, and low alcohol. I am enjoying a Ballast Point Sea Rose -- tart cherry wheat ale -- that is only 4% ABV and should be reasonably close to 120 cals per 12 oz bottle. Not really a rich IPA but a low cal option that can be very tasty as the summer heat comes in (I am in NA).
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    If my calorie budget is very tight and I still want to imbibe, I generally sip straight liquor (tequila or bourbon most often). If I have a little more room to play, I might have a cocktail or a beer. I frequently drink wine with meals.

As far as beer goes, and avoiding all the usual suspects as far as reduced calories go, Guinness is surprisingly low cal (as noted above), and there are an awful lot of session beers and gose / quasi-sours out there that are reasonably low cal and waaayyyy better than a Michelob Ultra or a Bud Light. Anderson Valley has several goses, Sierra Nevada has Otra Vez, and there seems to be a mad rush for sours or "fake" sours that generally have two things in common -- some sort of fruit tartness flavoring, and low alcohol. I am enjoying a Ballast Point Sea Rose -- tart cherry wheat ale -- that is only 4% ABV and should be reasonably close to 120 cals per 12 oz bottle. Not really a rich IPA but a low cal option that can be very tasty as the summer heat comes in (I am in NA).

Ballast Point Even Keel. 110 calories 3.5 ABV
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options

Mmmm, Ballast Point. Unfortunately (?), I like Grapefruit Sculpin, 7ABV. Yum. Worth saving up some calories for.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Spirits as above with diet mixers.

And a bottle of wine is "only" 500 calories. Not that I ever drink a bottle of wine in one sitting or anything........

A bottle of wine lasts me many months.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Mmmm, Ballast Point. Unfortunately (?), I like Grapefruit Sculpin, 7ABV. Yum. Worth saving up some calories for.

my favorite
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    No alcohol is best for a diet. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram and NO nutritional value.

^^This - totally.
    Alcohol is pretty much the most calorie dense thing to consume and provides your body with nothing else besides those calories.
    If you are trying to lose weight, the whole point is to consume less calories. Alcoholic drinks are the least effective way to achieve this.
    The only truth is that some types are far worse than others, but there is no such thing as a good alcoholic drink for dieting.

Let's not forget the food consumed after a few drinks to soak up the alcohol. That'll add a few hundred more kcal into the mix.

Youve been doing nights out all wrong.
    Its quite possible to go out for a couple drinks and a dance and not eat foods to soak it up

As others have stated you can plan for a night out, food included and still not go over your weekly calories

I've always been told it is necessary to eat food with your drinks. Has that changed? I don't drink very much nor very often.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Kopperburg do a light cider it's 160 ish calories a bottle and tastes good
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

And a bottle of wine is "only" 500 calories. Not that I ever drink a bottle of wine in one sitting or anything........

A bottle of wine lasts me many months a pleasant few hours in the afternoon.

FTFY.

For Tiny Dancer and Ann - Ballast Point has a great selection of tasty offerings! I haven't tried the Grapefruit Sculpin yet -- almost entirely because I have been shying away from higher ABV beers for a bit, and when I think grapefruit + ale I gravitate to the Otra Vez. Now (especially with warming weather) I will have to try it promptly!
  • aamerine08
    aamerine08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1.) Crystal Light + bottle water + Ciroc
    2.) Coke Zero + Parrot Bay Rum (Lime)

Those are my go-to's
  • beachpleaze
    beachpleaze Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Tequila and Tonic with 2 limes! YUMMMMMY and no hangover the next day... Not only that, but it doesn't give you that sloppy, stumbling drunk either!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

A bottle of wine lasts me many months.

Opened wine? For months? Ouch, that's like straight vinegar or nasty something. I don't keep a bottle more than a few days, using my favorite stopper (with an air pump). I have a habit of spending a lot of money on a good bottle of wine though, so I agree with the edit of a bottle of wine lasting a few hours lol.

As for harder stuff, I like Kraken and Coke (if it fits into my day) or gin and diet ginger ale.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Lagunitas - The Waldos (IPA Triple) 11.9% ABV

Limited batch released in April since 2016. Truly a marvelous beast.