excercise is my demise.

Options
I lost my first 45lbs by diet alone; and just being a little more active in my day to day life (no real excercise). I was on a roll and doing great.

Then I thought it was time to start doing some excercise (too fight the battle of loose skin; and wanting to help aid skin elasticity).

Now that Ive started excercise; I cant lose. I went from 45 to 50lbs loss; but I keep gaining 5lbs back, then fighting to lose it again, then gaining 2lbs back and fighting to lose 10lbs back. Yesterday I went up 10lbs, but today im only about 5lbs over...

Now... i'll give you a little info---I drink minimum 20 cups of water a day (half of my body weight in ounces, plus a minimum of 4 extra cups)--im still thirsty when i drink just half my body weight and I know u need to drink extra if u excercise anyway, so figures 20cups was a nice round number... sometimes if i had a high weigh in, i think i i must not have got enough water, and i go up to 30, and sometimes even 40cups in a day, with only going down a tad; or maybe not at all.

I dont eat perfect all the time; as this is not a diet, but living life. I havent went over calories by "living life", i just try to eat healthier.

I rarely ever go over fat, carbs, etc. I get plenty of fiber and protein a day; i never go over saturated fat, or any of those others either. Sugar Im always over, but its almost always due to fruit. Sodium I have a good control over; some days im below 1000mg, and others im around 2000mg; rarely do i ever go over 2500mg.. but i drink enough water to flush any excess out of my system anyway.

I try to always eat back my excercise calories; or at least have a net of 1200; somedays ill eat all my calories (im allowed 1540 a day). i try to eat them all, but thats not always plausable.

Around June 25th I went to maintenance caloires for about 3-4days because I was slowing down and wanted to boost my body again (this was suggested by alot of people), and once i went back to 2lbs a week loss i started excercise immediatly after that. This morning I weighed in at 269, and June 25th I was 272. So im not skinny, trying to lose my last few pounds (I know that skinnier people lose slower). Maybe I should be happy that Ive lost 3lbs in a month, but a normal number for me is 10lbs a month, average (some weeks not losing, but other weeks losing extra, so it always averaged about 10lbs).

I understand about gaining muscle, etc; but last tuesday I was 263lbs, and yesterday, Sunday, I was 273; and today im down to the 269.

I understand about water retintion; but why?? I drink soooo much water; i get enough sleep, im not under alot of stress, im under sodium most days.. the only change has been the excercise... and im talking a burn of 300-500calories a day most days; not some crazy number like 1000 calories or anything.

I also understand that girls gain during certain times of the month... during my TOM i lose the most, and the week after i lose a good amount (which would be this week; except ive done nothing but go up/gain back), and then the two weeks before TOM is when I struggle to lose weight/gain it back; and its always like clock work; this is going on 5months here, the same exact schedule happens every month.

does any one have any ideas as to what is happening??

Replies

• Ptarmigan74
    Options
    If you are thirsty on so much water per day, have you been screened recently for diabetes? Drinking a lot / peeing a lot is a symptom. Problems with blood sugar/insulin could be causing problems with your weight loss, but of course diabetes is dangerous in general anyway.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I keep getting distracted by the constant thirst ...have you been tested for diabetes?

Even sugar from fruit can cause your insulin to freak..up/down... just an idea!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This is not something to take my 100% word on, but being up and down when exercising is a bit normal and why I only weight myself every 2-3 weeks.

Anyways, you'll hear alot of people say, "well, you're working out so you might be gaining muscle". That's kinda silly because the chances of you gaining 2 lbs of muscle in a single week are close to impossible. However, what IS more possible is that your muscles retain alot of water when you are working out. They use the water to operate and to recover. Therefore, if you do a solid workout and go up the next day a little it could be that. It doesn't have to do as much w/ dehydration or over-hydration... just a little thing your muscles do!

Again, its not something to live and die by, but it could be a possible reason.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be checked for diabetes. That is more than enough water and if you're still thirsty, that's an indication that something might be wrong. I'd get checked out. They can usually check with a simple blood or urine test. If you have diabetes, getting it under control will do wonders for your health!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I agree with the diabetes. When I saw how much water you drink and are still thirsty, it was blaring at me to suggest blood sugar testing.

D
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    more history:

I have been tested for diabetes; i am not prediabetic or diabetic.

Ive been tested on vitamin levels, all good.

tested for thyroid, cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, PCOS, all good.

cholesterol was a tad high; but it had improved since october, so its getting better as i change my diet... my doctors postive that it will be in normal range in a few months if i keep up the good eating; my blood presure went from 138/80 to 114/68 so that was a huge improvement... but she said the cholesterol was nothing to worry about or perscribe anything for cuz the diet will change it after a little more time with it.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said about getting checked out by a doctor. There is such a thing as drinking too much water - it can literally kill you - so please make sure your health is OK.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Honestly if it's up and down daily like that it sounds like water retention. Why? Because your muscles are repairing themselves after your workouts. Try not to look at the daily ups and downs and try more to focus on averages and inches.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    Honestly if it's up and down daily like that it sounds like water retention. Why? Because your muscles are repairing themselves after your workouts. Try not to look at the daily ups and downs and try more to focus on averages and inches.

I havent lost any inches since ive started excercise.. and i am aware of water retinition after excercise; but any idea how long? should i take longer breaks? I take 1 day breaks when i can, sometimes two day breaks; and still it doesnt go down.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    What everyone else has said about getting checked out by a doctor. There is such a thing as drinking too much water - it can literally kill you - so please make sure your health is OK.

Health is ok, and I know it can literally kill you, but only if you drink a ton of water all at once; this is spread out over the entire day. When my day first starts out I dont want to drink water; but once I get to about 12 to 16cups I then need more... but if i didnt push myself to get to the 12 to 16, I would never make it past that. Im only more thirsty on days i drink my full amount... otherwise i could go the whole day without drinking ANY water and not be thirsty..

Half of my body weight in ounces is 16cups a day; but you need to drink more if you excercise, more if its hot out (its in middle of summer here), and more if you drink caffeine (which i dont often do), and more if you go over sodium.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I think you're drinking way too much water. Drinking 40 cups of water won't make your weight change. I don't see how drinking that much will help if you've gone over on the scale. If you gain a little weight drinking 2 gallons of water won't flush out the weight, it won't make it dissapear. You could be retaining water, especially if you're not used to activity. When I first started working out I gained 10 lbs in 3 days, because I was working out so hard and my body wasn't used to that level of activity. My body was retaining a lot of water and my hands and legs felt so swollen that it hurt to open and close my hands. Finally, almost a month later, for the first time my hands didn't really swell up during my exercise. My body didn't feel swollen and bloated. So I weighed myself and the 10 lbs was just gone. And I've been losing pretty steadily ever since. Also, I found eating my calories back does nottttt work for me. It may work for a lot of people but you have to figure out what works for you. I tried it for a month, and I just didn't feel good. It was too much food, I started gaining weight, and feeling lethargic all the time from eating so much. Maybe it's simply not for everyone. Perhaps having a slow thyroid has something to do with why that didn't work for me, I don't know, I couldn't tell you. All I know is, I'm losing 2-3 lbs a week doing what I'm doing, and that's by not going over 1600. On days where I'm not as active I eat around 1400 because I'm simply not hungry. I find I get full very easily and feel satisfied with the amount I eat, and if I always feel satisfied, and never hungry, eating the way I'm eating, that must be my bodys way of telling me it doesn't need anymore food. What I'm saying is, everyones different. There's no exact science for weight loss. It's all about trial and error, figuring out what works for you. We're all different and our bodies function differently.

Like everyone else recommended; get checked for diabetes. If you're FORCING yourself to drink that much water, you shouldn't because there is no benefit, water toxicity is a very real thing. I mean, 20 cups doesn't sound bad to me especially if you're exercising, but days where you hit 40. that is extreme. If you're drinking that much because you're actually that thirsty, then see a doctor, because even though you may be fine, there could be something wrong and it's good to be safe.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know staying at the same weight is frustrating :( I've been fighting off the same 2 or three pounds for (what it seems like) forever! I looked at your food journal, and it looks like the only thing you have off, is the larger amount of food that you're eating late at night. You eat healthily and you're always under your calorie goal, so it looks like you're doing great! Maybe you should just plan on spreading your calories out a little bit, and have a light snack at night.

It's REALLY hard to do that when you're a night eater (like I am), but if you could make a habit of eating all of your food for the day before say 7 or 8pm, you might start to see a change.

I could be TOTALLY wrong, but from everything I've read, the key is to shake things up a little bit. I've started doing the intermittent fasting thing. I'm still in the midst of my own trial of it, but so far, so good. I finally broke out of my slump :)

Good luck! And keep up the good work! You really are doing great!
  • annacataldo
    Options
    Like everyone else recommended; get checked for diabetes. If you're FORCING yourself to drink that much water, you shouldn't because there is no benefit, water toxicity is a very real thing. I mean, 20 cups doesn't sound bad to me especially if you're exercising, but days where you hit 40. that is extreme. If you're drinking that much because you're actually that thirsty, then see a doctor, because even though you may be fine, there could be something wrong and it's good to be safe.

Ive only ever hit 40cups two times; one was on a 85degree day (85degrees in oregon is pretty warm) when i was outside alot and doing some walking during the fair; and the other time was recently where it was a warm day but i was inside and trying to flush my system so i drank alot of water in the morning cuz i didnt think id have time later on, and did end up having time so i just kept sipping on my water bottle and before i knew it i was at 40cups; but only meant to get to 25-30cups. 20 cups is the number i shoot for, but 25 is pretty normal for me--not standard, but normal.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    If your weight varies that much, get new scales!!
  • annacataldo
    Options
    I know staying at the same weight is frustrating :( I've been fighting off the same 2 or three pounds for (what it seems like) forever! I looked at your food journal, and it looks like the only thing you have off, is the larger amount of food that you're eating late at night. You eat healthily and you're always under your calorie goal, so it looks like you're doing great! Maybe you should just plan on spreading your calories out a little bit, and have a light snack at night.

It's REALLY hard to do that when you're a night eater (like I am), but if you could make a habit of eating all of your food for the day before say 7 or 8pm, you might start to see a change.

I could be TOTALLY wrong, but from everything I've read, the key is to shake things up a little bit. I've started doing the intermittent fasting thing. I'm still in the midst of my own trial of it, but so far, so good. I finally broke out of my slump :)

Good luck! And keep up the good work! You really are doing great!

I know it looks like I eat really late all the time with a title like "night snack", but I in general dont. I always try to eat at least 3 hours before bed and dont like to eat any closer. Sometimes youll see alot of food in the night snack area because im trying to eat back some calories on low calorie days; but rarely is it ever late at night. "night snack" just means after dinner, not meaning late night snack... I go to bed aorund midnight and last eat around 8 or 9. there has been a couple times recently where i ate close to bed but it was because i was so hungry that i didnt have a choice (cant sleep on empty stomach), and eating a couple carrots wouldnt have tided me over when i was that hungry... that was just on really busy days where i was away from home, but not a norm for me at all.

I do think i need to stretch calories out a bit more, but im so hungry around dinner time that i try to save calories for dinner; because even after a big breakfast, im hungry at dinner (they say b-fast should be bigger than dinner)--but if i do that, then i end up going over calories because im still just as hungry at dinner as any other day.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    If your weight varies that much, get new scales!!

Its not the scale. im the same on 3different ones; all different brands; one at my work, one at home, one at boyfriends :-( and two of them are brand new, and the other one is a $80 scale thats barely been used. my home one matches exactly what my doctors office says as well, so theres a 4th scale in the mix.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well, at this point, with all the logical explinations not being the issue, I suggest you research IF (Intermittant Fasting). I'm not saying do it, just research it and see what you think. I'm still really new to it, so I can't offer you much advice, but it's not going to hurt to read a few articles.

Also, if you type "Intermittant Fasting" in to the search on this site, it'll pull up posts of other people who are either really in to it already or people just getting started.
  • iamjustcindy
    Options
    Water: How much should you drink every day?

Water is essential to good health, yet needs vary by individual. These guidelines can help ensure you drink enough fluids.
    By Mayo Clinic staff

How much water should you drink each day? It's a simple question with no easy answers. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live.

Although no single formula fits everyone, knowing more about your body's need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day.

Health benefits of water

Water is your body's principal chemical component and makes up about 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water. For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.

Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.

How much water do you need?

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.

Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.

Water: How much should you drink every day?

Factors that influence water needs

You may need to modify your total fluid intake depending on how active you are, the climate you live in, your health status, and if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.

Exercise. If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to compensate for the fluid loss. An extra 400 to 600 milliliters (about 1.5 to 2.5 cups) of water should suffice for short bouts of exercise, but intense exercise lasting more than an hour (for example, running a marathon) requires more fluid intake. How much additional fluid you need depends on how much you sweat during exercise, and the duration and type of exercise. During long bouts of intense exercise, it's best to use a sports drink that contains sodium, as this will help replace sodium lost in sweat and reduce the chances of developing hyponatremia, which can be life-threatening. Also, continue to replace fluids after you're finished exercising.

Environment. Hot or humid weather can make you sweat and requires additional intake of fluid. Heated indoor air also can cause your skin to lose moisture during wintertime. Further, altitudes greater than 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) may trigger increased urination and more rapid breathing, which use up more of your fluid reserves.

Illnesses or health conditions. When you have fever, vomiting or diarrhea, your body loses additional fluids. In these cases, you should drink more water. In some cases, your doctor may recommend oral rehydration solutions, such as Gatorade, Powerade or CeraLyte. Also, you may need increased fluid intake if you develop certain conditions, including bladder infections or urinary tract stones. On the other hand, some conditions such as heart failure and some types of kidney, liver and adrenal diseases may impair excretion of water and even require that you limit your fluid intake.

Pregnancy or breast-feeding. Women who are expecting or breast-feeding need additional fluids to stay hydrated. Large amounts of fluid are used especially when nursing. The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 2.3 liters (about 10 cups) of fluids daily and women who breast-feed consume 3.1 liters (about 13 cups) of fluids a day.
    Beyond the tap: Other sources of water

Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Staying safely hydrated

It's generally not a good idea to use thirst alone as a guide for when to drink. By the time you become thirsty, you may already be slightly dehydrated. Further, as you get older your body is less able to sense dehydration and send your brain signals of thirst. On the other hand, excessive thirst and increased urination can be signs of a more serious medical condition. Talk to your doctor if you experience either.

To ward off dehydration and make sure your body has the fluids it needs, make water your beverage of choice. Most healthy adults can follow these tips:

Drink a glass of water with each meal and between each meal.

Hydrate before, during and after exercise.

Substitute sparkling water for alcoholic drinks at social gatherings.

Although uncommon, it is possible to drink too much water. When your kidneys are unable to excrete the excess water, the electrolyte (mineral) content of the blood is diluted, resulting in low sodium levels in the blood, a condition called hyponatremia. Endurance athletes, such as marathon runners, who drink large amounts of water, are at higher risk of hyponatremia. In general, though, drinking too much water is rare in healthy adults who eat an average American diet.
  • iamjustcindy
    Options
    I just started exercising...why am I gaining weight?

Question: I just started exercising...why am I gaining weight?

Answer: If you've noticed your weight going up after starting an exercise program, don't panic! It doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, nor does it mean you're going in the wrong direction. There can be some obvious and not-so-obvious reasons you're gaining weight.

Your first step is to determine if what you're gaining is actually fat or muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, but it takes up less space...if you gain muscle, your scale weight may go up even as you're slimming down. Rather than just using a scale to measure your progress, you can get your body fat tested on a regular basis to get a better idea of what you're gaining and/or losing. If that isn't an option, you can take measurements at different areas of the body...if you're losing inches, you're on the right track. For more, check out 4 Ways to Track Your Weight Loss Progress.

If you've measured yourself in different ways and realized you are gaining fat, take some time to go through the following possibilities - you may need to make some small changes in your diet to see better results.

1. Eating too many calories. It may seem obvious, but eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain. What some people don't realize is that, after they start exercising, they may start eating more without being aware of it. Most people think they're eating a healthy, low-calorie diet but, unless you're keeping a detailed food journal, you just don't know how many calories you're really eating. Most people are surprised when they start keeping a journal and adding up the calories--it almost always turns out to be more than they thought. Before you quit exercising, take a week to keep a food journal. Add up your calories to get a sense of exactly what you're eating...if it's too much, you can start to make some changes in your diet to reduce your calories. And try to avoid the mindset that says you can eat whatever you want since you're doing all this great exercise...to lose weight, you still need to monitor your calories.

2. Not eating enough calories. It may seem counterintuitive, but eating too little can actually stall your efforts to lose fat. As Cathy Leman, a registered dietician and creator of NutriFit! says, "...if there is a severe restriction in calories, the body may counteract this reduction by slowing down its metabolism." Be sure you're eating enough calories to sustain your body if you've increased your activity.

3. Not giving your body time to respond. Just because you start exercising doesn't always mean your body will respond to that immediately. As Cathy Leman puts it, "...in some instances the body needs to sort of "recalibrate"' itself. Increased activity and new eating habits (taking in more or less calories) require the body to make adjustments." Cathy recommends that you give yourself several weeks or months for your body to respond to what you're doing.

4. Rule out any medical conditions. While thyroid problems are rare, they can definitely make weight loss difficult. There can also be medications you're taking that could affect your body's ability to lose weight. If you feel your food intake is reasonable and you've given your body enough time to see results and haven't seen any (or are seeing unexplainable weight gain) see your doctor to rule any other causes.

5. You're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat. If it seems that you're getting bigger after you've started a weight training routine, it may be because you aren't losing body fat as fast as you're building muscle, which is a problem some people experience when they start exercising. Genetics could also be playing a role here...some people put on muscle more easily than others. If that's the case for you, don't stop training! Instead, you might simply adjust your program to make sure you're getting enough cardio exercise to promote weight loss and focus your strength training workouts on muscular endurance by keeping the reps between 12-16.

Whatever the cause of your weight gain, don't give up on exercise. It's not only your ticket to weight loss, it's also important for your health.
  • iamjustcindy
    Options
    Eat Less, Exercise More -- Gain Weight?

Elizabeth Lyster: Everybody "knows" how to lose weight: diet and exercise, right? Well, what we eat and our activity levels do make a big difference in whether we achieve and maintain a healthy weight, size, and condition.

However, human metabolism changes over our lifetimes. When we're young (teenage and adult in our 20s), relatively minor changes in diet and exercise can produce weight loss. When I was in high school, when my jeans felt too tight, I just stopped eating cookies for a couple of weeks, and that did the trick! As we get older, our metabolism slows down. This slow-down in metabolism is like a hill that gets steeper as it goes down. That is, your metabolism is slower in your 30s than in your 20s, and it gets even slower in your 40s, your 50s, and so on. There are three major mistakes that women make when trying to lose weight. Because of slowing metabolism, these mistakes are especially costly for women over 40.

Here are my Top Three Women's Weight-Loss Mistakes, not necessarily in order of importance:

1. NOT ENOUGH FOOD! How counterintuitive! These days, people are learning quickly about this mistake. All the "trainers-to-the-stars" are writing books promoting the importance of healthy snacking and eating five to six times per day.

Think of your metabolism like a furnace -- if you don't keep fuel in the furnace, the fire will die down and go out.

Here is the heart of why diets don't work -- when you don't eat enough, your metabolism goes into "save" mode. Human bodies are designed this way, to withstand and survive starvation conditions. Feeling hungry may mean you are in this kind of counter-productive metabolic state.

So, it's not your fault -- eating less in this way will not lead to weight loss!

2. TOO MUCH EXERCISE: Exercise is an essential part of maintaining long-term health and weight control. However, there is in fact such a thing as doing too much exercise, or exercising too intensely. Exercise is hormonally depleting, especially for women over 40.

If exercise is experienced as stressful, this can stress the adrenal glands. Adrenal glands make cortisol in response to stress. When there is too much cortisol release, the body goes into the "save" mode I mentioned earlier, and will retain weight, especially around the midsection. This is one of the most tricky subjects for me to discuss with my patients who are over 40, are healthy eaters, exercise intensely, and are frustrated by lack of weight loss or even weight gain despite all their efforts.

You have to exercise smarter, not harder. For example, exercise programs that include weight-lifting will build muscle mass, which in turn raises the overall metabolic rate. This makes a person burn more calories, even at rest! In other words, it's not just about burning calories by exercising harder. If your best efforts at weight loss are not working well, you may be over-exercising.

3. NOT ENOUGH SLEEP! When you understand the work done by the adrenal glands, it becomes clear why not getting enough sleep, or good enough sleep quality, can cause weight retention or weight gain.

We talked in the last section about excess cortisol release caused by stress. Cortisol is released when we are tired and don't rest -- it's what keeps tired women from falling asleep at the wheel while they are ignoring their fatigue and running around doing all the things they have to do every day. Perimenopause and menopause-related symptoms can also interfere with good sleep quality. Depression (which is not a "natural" part of menopause) can also disrupt sleep. Stressful life events, such as the loss of a loved one, also cause cortisol release (both by interfering with sleep and from the stress itself).

Chronic lack of sleep leads to cortisol release, which also leads to craving junk food -- all of which of course leads to weight gain. Because this kind of weight gain is mostly around the abdominal area, we feel "bloated" and uncomfortable.

Poor eating habits related to fatigue and stress make this a vicious cycle that prevents reaching and maintaining a healthy weight.

So, what everybody "knows" about how to lose weight leaves out some crucial information. These top three mistakes that people make in trying to lose weight are especially costly for women over 40. Yes, you have to eat well and keep fit, but you have to keep a balance, and you have to get enough rest!

Here's to your health!