How to Tell Boss I Intend of Applying to another Job

Options
2»

Replies

• bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you're applying for a different job within the same company, yes tell your boss.

If you're applying elsewhere, don't.

This is usually the rule to live by.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You don't tell anyone at your current job you are looking for employment elsewhere. You wait until you have another job offered to you and then give two weeks notice that you are leaving. If your current boss knows you are leaving, it's likely that they will start looking for someone to replace you and may fire you before you have another job. It's nice that you don't want her to waste time training you for a promotion you don't want, but most interviewers are fine with the fact that you are not able to give a reference from your current employer because most people do not want the current employer to know they are looking.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Do not tell your boss until you have another job.

Each employee at a company has a "burden rate" for each employee, which is generally above what they are paying you. This includes health coverage for the employees, dental, vision etc. It doesnt make sense to spend money on an employee, or wasting anyones time training you when they know you arent going to stick around. Odds are you will be fired, maybe not today, but in the near future I wouldnt excpect the company to keep you on.

Do you need this job?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    If you're applying for a different job within the same company, yes tell your boss.

If you're applying elsewhere, don't.

this.

100% this.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Depends on your boss.

This.

The issue in corporate is most bosses are not interested in your professional development and career, or only so much that it improves their ability to progress or company success. So in many instances telling your boss you are looking is seen as a negative for you. However, that is the opposite of what it should be and working in education, lucky I have always been able to be open about career objectives.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Depends on your boss.

This.

The issue in corporate is most bosses are not interested in your professional development and career, or only so much that it improves their ability to progress or company success. So in many instances telling your boss you are looking is seen as a negative for you. However, that is the opposite of what it should be and working in education, lucky I have always been able to be open about career objectives.

this.

100% this.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You don't.

You apply, do your interview, and if it goes well and is a better opportunity, you put in your two weeks and go on with your life. No matter how good your relationship with your boss is (I am very close with mine), if you mention you MIGHT find something better, they WILL find someone to replace you whether it becomes ultimately necessary or not. Best case scenario, you get hour cuts. Worst case scenario, you get fired.