Inner struggle: food vs. being a good example

Some days I just feel like I am meant to be 5'3" 334lbs. If I even look at food I gain. I have a 4 year old daughter who is my biggest fan. As she gets older she looks to me as the example. She is very tiny and picky about foods. She doesn't like cookies and candy she's more into cheese and slim jims. Every day I start fresh and just keep failing. I don't want to embarrass her. I want to be a good example for her in every way but I just can't get control of my weight. I've tried many diets. I exercise. I just love to eat. It's awful. We only have one life to live. I want to be able to enjoy food AND be a proper example for my daughter. I just can't get a balance.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Start with small sustainable changes. Trying to do everything at once usually leads to burnouts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    What are your challenges when it comes to food? What are you finding difficult? With a bit more detail we may be able to make a few suggestions.
  • nmiddleton
    nmiddleton Posts: 4 Member
    Of course I love pizza and pasta. I work an hour from home a nine hour day so I'm gone from 530am until 6pm. I hardly have time to meal prep during the week. I am a phd candidate in my dissertation phase. So that keeps me busy as well. I don't get to the grocery store enough to be prepared. Then when I do my produce goes bad pretty quick. My husband and daughter have their own eating habits so it's like fend for yourself. So easy food is what I go for. I am always tired too. I wear a Fitbit and get my 10,000 steps a day usually. My job is at a desk. I feel like I just have excuses, know what I need to do but can't get myself motivated to do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    nmiddleton wrote: »
    Of course I love pizza and pasta. I work an hour from home a nine hour day so I'm gone from 530am until 6pm. I hardly have time to meal prep during the week. I am a phd candidate in my dissertation phase. So that keeps me busy as well. I don't get to the grocery store enough to be prepared. Then when I do my produce goes bad pretty quick. My husband and daughter have their own eating habits so it's like fend for yourself. So easy food is what I go for. I am always tired too. I wear a Fitbit and get my 10,000 steps a day usually. My job is at a desk. I feel like I just have excuses, know what I need to do but can't get myself motivated to do it.

Food prep on the weekend.

Buy frozen veg

Think lifestyle changes not 'diet'
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Start with small sustainable changes. Trying to do everything at once usually leads to burnouts.

This^

Think about things that you can change permanently. Eliminating things to lose weight ultimately backfires for me.

For pizza, I love to make my own.....that way I have more control. Turkey pepperoni is 70% less fat. There are some chain pizzas that will fit your calories. Just have a couple slices, and serve salad on the side. I love pasta, but like to bulk up the sauce with veggies. Carrots are a good add in, they don't change the flavor of the sauce much.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    All great ideas. And if you work at a desk I can personally recommend something called the "DeskCycle". It's the lowest profile under the desk cycling machine made. It's practically silent , is very sturdy and well made, has adjustable tension and even comes with a gauge for your desktop to track time, speed calories, Distance. lol no I don't work for them but I'm like you, stuck at a desk all day. I'm I LOVE MINE!
  • lulu_carr
    lulu_carr Posts: 16 Member
    @nmiddleton I have a four year old daughter as well and love for food. My love for food is so hard to control. My father had the same problem. How I am trying to control is to not cut them out ... just eat very small portion of it very slowly enjoy every bite with healthy food. Today I had salad with quinoa plus 2 chicken nuggets.... I ate it very slowly and enjoyed every single bite... at the end of it I felt satisfied.... before I would ate 10-15 nuggets in few minutes.... I am determined to change for my daughter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    So found this great link today.

https://www.facebook.com/qznews/videos/398377693874974/

I and my granddaughter are each other's biggest fans. So follow your daughter's example for food choices, and bring her along on some of your walks.

If you can carve out one afternoon, you can food prep for the following week and start saving time and money. Home made is cheaper and you have better control over your ingredients.