Help! I'm still hungry!

Options
I've been at this calorie counting thing for 2 weeks now. I notice that I'm still hungry after I eat. Could this be because my body is used to eating whatever I wanted and how much I ever wanted or is it because I'm still actually hungry? I crave foods like "kraft mac and cheese" and "funyuns" and some other processed foods and wish so bad that I could have them. Are they ok every once in a while or should I just get rid of them?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Hard for us to know... What is your calorie goal each day? Do you exercise? Do you eat additional to fuel your exercise? If so, how much? What are your current stats?

When you feel this potential hunger and cravings, does drinking water help? Does the sensation go away if you do something to busy yourself?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I get hungry. I don't let the feeling drive my calorie intake. I can't feed the hunger pains, real or mental.. thats how i got to this place. Now i view the hunger pain as motivation to keep at my goal! its a driving force, not to eat but to stick with it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I still have mac and cheese and snack foods. I don't have them as often as I did when I was over weight, because to me they are not worth it, nutrition-wise.

When I was trying to eat too little in general and not balancing my macros and fiber, I was still hungry after eating. In weight loss some hunger is to be expected - but don't set yourself up to fail by undereating in general.

If you answer @StaciMarie1974's questions, you may be given some insight.

Height
    Weight
    Exercise
    Calorie goal per day

?

• w_mcquade
    w_mcquade Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've found that increasing my protein intake is helping to stave off hunger pangs.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    How many times do you eat in a day? If you split your weightloss allowance into too many little meals, you will naturally feel hungry after eating.

You should have quickly come to the conclusion that because you are only allowed a measly portion a day, you better manage it wisely. Don't eat because the clock says it's time or you can tolerate the hunger pain for a while. Eat your lot when you need to.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I notice that I'm still hungry after I eat.

This is the story of my life lol. Honestly the best way I've found to counter this is fibrous veggies. A pound of most veggies in a steamer bag is only about 100 cals. If you're struggling with hunger give eating a "lot" of vegetables a try. String beans, broccoli, cauliflour, etc. If you eat them raw they're even more filling.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's a salt craving. Now that you aren't eating junk are you salting your food? Find some real sea salt and try using that. Also, depending on your eating plan, you may be craving potassium not sodium.

Finally, if you are eating low carb / low sugar are you eating enough healthy fats? Sometimes we think that fat is really bad. There are good fats.

Check out these links: http://paleoiq.com/best-paleo-diet-blogs/
  • okjessica014
    okjessica014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This app gave me a little over 1500 calories a day based on my stats. I'm 20. 5'6 and 183 lbs. I have started to exercise since I downloaded the app but before that I would not. I was just a couch potato •.• I do about 15 minutes of calisthenics work out and then I take a 20 minute walk or 15 minutes of stretching and then a 20 minute walk as well. I do eat either a banana or a rice cake with nut butter before my workout and drink about a liter of water. After my workout I try to eat whole grains and protein. Sometimes I have a protein shake and sometimes I eat chicken and eggs..etc with another liter of water. I try to have 4-5 meals a day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner plus 1 or 2 snacks. I also drink water throughout the rest of the day. I season my food so that the veggies don't taste bland as I prefer fruit because it's sweeter. Avocado toast is a favorite staple meal for me as well.

I notice I have a lot more energy throughout the day but have the feeling of hunger. What are some protein packed meals that I could eat?
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What are some protein packed meals that I could eat?

It's not a "meal", but I like keeping tuna pouches on hand for when I'm really hungry and a meal is too far away. They're only 70 calories and full of protein. Add a few carrot sticks, and it's pretty substantial for the low calories, so it's relatively easy to fit into my allowance.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    for some they need more fiber to feel full,others its protein,carbs or fat and some can get full on water,find what works for you. up one for awhile and see if that helps, if not try upping another.eventually you will find what helps keep you satiated and full longer
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Plain and simply, if you're hungry you should eat. Or even better, try and take note of when you get hungry and be sure it's a legitimate hunger. If you notice it's around the same time every day, add a snack/meal before that time. You don't wanna get hit with unexpected hunger because that's when we tend to make the worse decisions.
    Also, It's important to not confuse cravings with hunger. Not trying to insult your intelligence but it's easy to "feel" mentally hungry when in reality your body isn't asking you for anything. If you are honest to god hungry listen to your body.
    At 180 lbs. 1500 calories is not very much so you'll need to be strategic about including filling foods and complex carbs. Continue making smart decisions and opt for a snack/meal with lean protein as the focus when you feel this hunger.
  • heslopsk
    heslopsk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had that feeling plenty of times! I've learned that I should drink more water, reevaluate why I want to eat at that moment, and keep healthier, more filling snacks in hand (ex: nuts, fruits, and veggies). Those are not the ideal snack for when I have a craving, but if I am truly hungry, then it doesn't matter what I eat as long as I am no longer hungry. Therefore, I eat something healthy. Midway through I realize that I am either not really hungry or that whatever healthy option that I just ate did the trick. I have also come to realize that junk food is not something you eat when you are actually hungry. Never in a million years will a bag of chips cure hunger like an apple. An apple has less calories, is more nutritious and has more fiber that will keep you Fuller longer. I hope that helps!
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've been at this calorie counting thing for 2 weeks now. I notice that I'm still hungry after I eat. Could this be because my body is used to eating whatever I wanted and how much I ever wanted or is it because I'm still actually hungry? I crave foods like "kraft mac and cheese" and "funyuns" and some other processed foods and wish so bad that I could have them. Are they ok every once in a while or should I just get rid of them?

I would eat mac and cheese once in a while... however, I would add a head of steamed broccoli to it (or less cauliflower) and split it into two portions. I agree with the posts that say to add more fiber.

You can also make your own mac and cheese with evaporated milk and cheese (some jalapeño cheddar popcorn seasonings go nice in it too)