Panera Bread

Options
2»

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You can tell Panera (Bread Co. to me) is at least health-conscious.

I'd say that Panera is pricey--my bill's around $20 for two--but if you've been to Subway recently you can't get 2 subs and drinks for less than $15. We don't eat out every day, so I'll happily pay an extra $5 for considerably better quality.

On-menu calorie counts are good and should be required at every restaurant. The people who don't care about calories just ignore the numbers; people who do care are directed to better health decisions.

Unfortunately, having grown up in rural Illinois and Indiana, I have frequent cravings for Missouri's only Monical's Pizza location (O'Fallon)--and of course it's right next door to my local Panera. Sometimes Monical's wins. Usually Monical's wins.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Panera Bread is dead to me since they removed the BBQ Chicken Salad from their menu.
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    The kids like it. I like it. I liked it more before they discontinued my favorite salad: kale chicken caesar. Those crispy cheesy bits were so good.
    I'm rioting since they removed the Power Chicken Hummus Bowl from the menu. I lived for that salad.

Wow. After reading this thread, I'm glad I never tried any salads from them. They seem to discontinue everyone's favorite salads.

About half of their salads are seasonal. Wait nine months and your salad will come back. Same for soup and some of the sandwiches. Fall = autumn squash soup season. Winter = beet salad season. Spring and summer = I completely forget seasons :blush:
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love Panera, but, what I get there isn't healthy ...coffee loaded with sugar and cream and a bagel and cream cheese.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    they are meh... never truly crave it or anything, and only really eat it when it gets catered in at work. i guess it's nice they post nutritional information but so does whataburger so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Panera Bread is dead to me since they removed the BBQ Chicken Salad from their menu.
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    The kids like it. I like it. I liked it more before they discontinued my favorite salad: kale chicken caesar. Those crispy cheesy bits were so good.
    I'm rioting since they removed the Power Chicken Hummus Bowl from the menu. I lived for that salad.

Wow. After reading this thread, I'm glad I never tried any salads from them. They seem to discontinue everyone's favorite salads.

About half of their salads are seasonal. Wait nine months and your salad will come back. Same for soup and some of the sandwiches. Fall = autumn squash soup season. Winter = beet salad season. Spring and summer = I completely forget seasons :blush:

I haven't seen my salad come back, but it could just be my local location. I've taken to just making my own jalapeño hummus to use as a salad dressing. Honestly, it's a really easy salad to recreate. They just made it so pretty and it was such a good option for catching up with friends :(
  • samacgr
    samacgr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I REALLY like their spicy thai with chicken salad. Luckily, it hasn't disappeared from the menu.....A half salad is 260 calories and fills me up.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I eat there regularly but I am NOT a fan of them discontinuing things. Many years ago, they used to do these really thin-crust pizzas. They stopped those. This past fall and winter, my dieting was immensely helped by their Kale Caesar salad and Turkey Chili (both were delicious) and I could have a Friday night treat dinner for roughly 550 calories. Both are GONE!! Right now, I'm no loving any one salad, sandwich, or soup on their menu but will go in a pinch.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's just food...you can get healthy options at Mcdonalds, Wendy's, etc; what it boils down to is being conscious of ones choices...
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Their breads are excellent, but they are overpriced.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I loved their egg white power breakfast bowl with turkey, their soba noodle broth bowl with edamame, their cheesecake cream cheese, and a lot of other delicious goodies on their menu. However, they discontinued all of these things so I'm scared to go. Each time I find something I like it's gone when I return! Other than that, it's usually good and I like the atmosphere, just very overpriced. The nutritional information online used to be a calculator allowing you to customize the food more and I loved it, but now it's more standard and you can't really do that.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that they have quite a few vegetarian options. I really like the black bean soup, and the Greek salad is nice too. Also, I like the "You Pick Two" option.

I haven't had these in ages and hesitate to mention them, but I really enjoyed the cherry pastry, bear claw, sticky bun, and orange scone. And the rye bread is delicious!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I went to an event and they had Panera catering. I had this Italian sandwich it was really good! Aside from that I don't eat there. We hardly ever eat out and there are other places we'd rather eat at when we do.

I've had their bear claws before... those are pretty awesome. I don't even want to know how much of a calorie bomb one of those are. Probably my daily calories at least.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I actually have one complaint about their sesame semolina bread--they won't sell me a loaf of it. I can buy loaves of their other breads. I could even walk in and order 12 sandwiches made with that bread and they'd sell them to me. But they will not sell me an actual loaf of unsliced sesame semolina. I've asked at two different Paneras around here and both times have been told that they can't sell it to me.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Too calorie dense for the portions. Would rather make my own fresh food.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I really like their food, but it's pretty calorie dense so I rarely eat it.
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Panera. I usually get black bean soup and half a steak and arugula sandwich. It's only 340 calories, and I'm always super stuffed after. But I could eat soup for every meal. I love soup. It's a little high in sodium so I just eat less sodium for my other meals and drink extra water. No biggie.