Can anyone help me please?

Options
Hello, my name is Jenn. I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am trying my hardest to lose weight. I got to the gym 4/5 times a week. I go on long dog walks also. At the gym I do a mixture of cardio, weight training and classes such as boxing or fat burning. I'm also eating healthy too. But I feel as thought I'm gaining weight, my clothes feel tighter on me. It's literally making me so down I was wondering if anyone could help?
And can anyone help me to work out what macros I should be having please! Would be a massive help. Thank you!

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Have you entered your stats and goals into MFP? Your macros will depend on your height, weight, activity, and calorie goals.
  • Jvb_xo
    Jvb_xo Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes I did. But still seem to be struggling to lose the weight, un sure where to go from here
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight and how recently did you start to feel like you're gaining? Is the working out a new thing, or you have been at this awhile?

Are you using a food scale to weigh all your food? It's a common error, as most people underestimate portions sizes. Weighing is best for accuracy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jenn. I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am trying my hardest to lose weight. I got to the gym 4/5 times a week. I go on long dog walks also. At the gym I do a mixture of cardio, weight training and classes such as boxing or fat burning. I'm also eating healthy too. But I feel as thought I'm gaining weight, my clothes feel tighter on me. It's literally making me so down I was wondering if anyone could help?
    And can anyone help me to work out what macros I should be having please! Would be a massive help. Thank you!

Weighed yourself to see if you are actually gaining weight. If you are, eat less.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes I did. But still seem to be struggling to lose the weight, un sure where to go from here

I had good results using the method described here to set my macros: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

But if you haven't lost weight, it's not usually the macros at fault. This is what I would normally suggest:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • Jvb_xo
    Jvb_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies means a lot!

As a child I was over weight. Growing up I lost a lot and then I've been up and down. I gained weight again with my past relationship and ever since I've tried hardest to lose weight and seems to be going up and down.

I started back at the gym in January. Doing cardio and weight training, dog walks and also sometimes do HIIT workouts at home if I missed gym. I went of track for a few weeks, but still was doing my long dog walks and a HIIT here and there and still eating healthy.

I've started getting my motivation back so past couple of weeks I've been back at gym (I go 4-5 times a week and do an hour each time). I do cardio and some weight training or no weight training like squats lunges and so on. I've started boxing lessons and also starting fat burning class. Before I was counting calories people told me to up my calories but felt like I was putting weight on and getting too obsessed so past couple of weeks I haven't been counting them. I've had stuff like protein oats in the morning, omellete at dinner time and chicken brown rice and veg in the late afternoon. And an apple or banana as a snack.. MFP said i should be having 1200, 150g carbs (can't remember the others because ll have a look) I'm 5ft 2 and just under 10stone. I'm wanting to calorie count and track everything again. Can anyone help with the right macros for me? :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Nowhere in any of this have you mentioned how many calories you're eating and how you're measuring that intake.

If you are gaining weight, you are eating too much. It's really that simple.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1. Set your weekly weight loss goal to no more than 1 lb per week.
    2. Get a food scale. Use it for as much of your food as possible. Packaged food, produce, peanut butter, everything.
    3. Eat the calories MFP gives you. Log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories.
    4. Keep track of your weight for 4 weeks and see what happens.
    5. Macros will not affect your weight loss. They are for health and satiety. Most people find some combo of protein, fat, or fiber fills them up. So if you are too hungry, make sure you are at least hitting the MFP standard goal for those to help.
    6. If after 4 weeks you aren't losing weight, then you need to eat a little less.