Exercise, weight loss, and dehydration....

Options
Hi all,

I've been around for a while. I've used MFP for a number of years on and off, but I've began a new training plan and I need some advice.

I've always been active the last few years, having lost over 3.5 stone. I'm used to exercising on a daily basis (except weekends), but for the last three weeks, I've been doing a new exercise routine, and I've lost 7lb doing do.

My weekly routine is as follows:

Monday
4 mile run to the work, in 32-35 minutes.
2 mile run after work to the gym, 17 minutes.
1 hour of of back weight training.
2 mile run home, 18-20 minutes.

Tuesday
4.5 mile run after work, consisting of a 1 mile warm up, several intense hill sprints, and then another 2.5 miles 'recovery'. Usually takes around 32 minutes of active run time.
Then 1 hour of chest and tricep weight training at the gym.

Wednesday is identical to Monday, the only change is the weight session is spent doing shoulders instead of back training.

Thursday is my favourite day. I run 8 miles after work in 63-65 minutes, followed by leg day at the gym (genuinely my favourite workout!)

Friday I run 4 miles to work, then run 4 miles home from work. These runs are a little slower, as it's the end of the week and my legs are a tiring. So they take about 37 miles each way.

I then rest during the weekends.

I'm typically burning between 1000 and 1500 calories a day through exercise. I'm consuming around 2200-2300 calories throughout the week, and up to 2700 on the weekends, depending on whether I go out for food at a restaurant or not. Gotta live a little, eh!

I'm absolutely fine doing this routine - it's sustainable for me in terms of exercise, recovery time and eating.

What I am struggling with is water. I typically drink 3 litres of water between 9am until 4.30pm every day. I'll go to the toilet quite frequently, probably 5 times over the 7 hours I'm at work. I'll drink another litre while during the gym, and then another half a litre in the evening.

Over the last three weeks, I've had a minor urine infection (lasted only two days and cleared up on its own)
I've had runners diahorrea a couple of times.
And tonight I've had a migraine while running home. I've actually drank 4 litres today before running home, and since the migraine I've drank 2 litres and not yet been to the toilet. So I'm guessing it was triggered by dehydration.

When I say migraine, I mean full on aura, with temporary lack of depth perception, partial sight loss and then a crushing headache. The only way for me to get better is codeine, ibuprofen lysine and a few hours sleep.

Now, I don't feel like I'm drinking too little. I'm never, ever thirsty or dying for a drink. I know how important it is to be hydrated, especially with the amount of exercise I do and when trying to shift excess fat (which is my aim over the next 4-5 weeks. I want to drop another 7lb).

I just don't understand what is happening. I've not had an issue with dehydration until recently, but with this exercise routine it seems to be affecting me.

One thing I don't do is drink while I'm out running. Carrying a bottle is just too annoying. But I'd be willing to get a camelback and try that, if it is going to help?

Also, might I be losing electrolytes, and essential salts/vitamins etc? How do I best replace these?

I really do feel out of my depth on this topic, as ive not haf an issue before. So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I suppose it's possible. The thing is, I've always drank this much water - it's normal for me. Things seem to have changed since I've been eating fewer calories and since I've been doing this extra running.

• codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking that much water, you need to increase your sodium intake as well. I used to get migraines while running, until I stopped being afraid of sodium (went from <2300mg to >6000mg daily). Your body needs sodium to retain the water you're drinking, otherwise it just runs straight through you, i.e. going to the toilet frequently and getting runners diarrhea.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It might be electrolytes rather than hydration. If you aren't thirsty, urinating frequently and have clear pee then it's unlikely to be dehydration.

In hot conditions I use electrolyte tablets or a sports hydration drink rather than just plain water.
    Something like SIS GO Hydro Tablets, virtually calorie free.
    Cycle shops, runner's shops or Holland & Barrett sell them or similar products.

Increasing the salt with/on your food may help too. I can get a real salt craving after long/extreme exercise - or is that just an excuse to eat some salt & vinegar crisps? ;)
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lightbulb moment...thanks Steve!

Looking at my diary today, my sodium intake was dire, at only 690mg.

In fact, I need to take better care of all my micro's. I'll work on ensuring I'm eating more salt and vitamins. Maybe a large portion of steamed veg, with a teaspoon of salt will help.

Thanks for pointing me In the right direction.

P.s, I'm not afraid of salt, nor do I avoid eating it. It just so happens that what I'm eating at the moment doesn't contain enough.