Need Vegetarian Diet Advice

Options
mcrcrazedfan
mcrcrazedfan Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,

I am starting to monitor my nutrition in hopes of building muscle and lose a little bit of weight in the process. I am 5'1 and about 105lbs at the moment, I have been a vegetarian for 13 years and just want to make sure I am not eating horribly :) I currently am unable to work out besides a random walk, but I do plan on getting a gym membership soon.
Thanks!

32j50a3hzskr.jpg

58wa4yvqh88z.jpg

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Id say your fat is quite low, and you dont get a lot of vegetables.

You are at the low end of healthy weight, so if you want to change your shape, I'd suggest looking in to recomp - eating at maintenance, and starting resistance training so you can slowly gain muscle whilst losing fat without weight loss.
  • mcrcrazedfan
    Options
    Id say your fat is quite low, and you dont get a lot of vegetables.

You are at the low end of healthy weight, so if you want to change your shape, I'd suggest looking in to recomp - eating at maintenance, and starting resistance training so you can slowly gain muscle whilst losing fat without weight loss.

Thank you for the advice. I am a somewhat picky eater so I only had carrots and cucumbers most days. What are some other veggies you might suggest? Are there are ways to get fat besides peanut butter? Ha

Thanks!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Roast your vegetables in a little fat. Easy way to add more variety to your diet.
  • mcrcrazedfan
    Options
    Roast your vegetables in a little fat. Easy way to add more variety to your diet.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to go get some butter :smile: ha
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's great that you seem to be hitting your protein goals quite easily! Other nutrients that are important for vegetarians to focus on are iron (found in soy products, beans, grains...), zinc (beans, legumes, nuts, seeds...) and omega-3 (flax, hemp, walnuts...).

Also, if you don't consume a lot of dairy and eggs, you may not get enough vitamin B12.
  • mcrcrazedfan
    Options
    It's great that you seem to be hitting your protein goals quite easily! Other nutrients that are important for vegetarians to focus on are iron (found in soy products, beans, grains...), zinc (beans, legumes, nuts, seeds...) and omega-3 (flax, hemp, walnuts...).

Also, if you don't consume a lot of dairy and eggs, you may not get enough vitamin B12.

Thank you for the reminder! I take prenatals at the moment to help, but I do need to incorporate more omega-3
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

The smoking (burning) point of butter is pretty low. You might want to use olive oil for roasting, but you could add a pat of butter to the veggies after they come out of the oven.

Other kill-two-birds-with-one-stone ideas for more fat and more veggies (oops, sorry, poor choice of metaphor for vegetarian thread):

Add veggies* (tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach) to whole egg omelet; include full-fat cheese if you like).

Are those lunches meant to be salads? Add more veggies to them (tomatoes, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, celery, chopped cruciferous veggies, cooked peas, green beans or other legumes), and dress with a little olive oil (in a vinaigrette, if you like).

In general, you may have to experiment with different vegetables prepared different ways. You may like some raw but not cooked, and others vice versa. Prep options: raw in bite sizes, shredded raw (like cabbage in cole slaw -- it changes the texture -- I like shredded raw carrots much more than raw carrots cut in sticks or "coins"), roasted, steamed, grilled, sauteed or stir-fried, in salads, in soups, cooked in casseroles, pureed after cooking and then added to soups, sauces, and casseroles. ... I feel like I'm Forrest Gump's doomed friend Bubba listing all the ways to eat shrimp.

*Yes, I know tomatoes and bell peppers are biologically fruits and mushrooms are fungi, but we're talking nutrition here.
  • mcrcrazedfan
    Options

The smoking (burning) point of butter is pretty low. You might want to use olive oil for roasting, but you could add a pat of butter to the veggies after they come out of the oven.

Other kill-two-birds-with-one-stone ideas for more fat and more veggies (oops, sorry, poor choice of metaphor for vegetarian thread):

Add veggies* (tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach) to whole egg omelet; include full-fat cheese if you like).

Are those lunches meant to be salads? Add more veggies to them (tomatoes, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, celery, chopped cruciferous veggies, cooked peas, green beans or other legumes), and dress with a little olive oil (in a vinaigrette, if you like).

In general, you may have to experiment with different vegetables prepared different ways. You may like some raw but not cooked, and others vice versa. Prep options: raw in bite sizes, shredded raw (like cabbage in cole slaw -- it changes the texture -- I like shredded raw carrots much more than raw carrots cut in sticks or "coins"), roasted, steamed, grilled, sauteed or stir-fried, in salads, in soups, cooked in casseroles, pureed after cooking and then added to soups, sauces, and casseroles. ... I feel like I'm Forrest Gump's doomed friend Bubba listing all the ways to eat shrimp.

*Yes, I know tomatoes and bell peppers are biologically fruits and mushrooms are fungi, but we're talking nutrition here.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am super picky, but like you said, I should try different things prepared numerous ways. :smile:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Roasting veggies in olive oil makes them delicious! Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar after roasting, and it makes them amazing! Also, since you're a picky eater, I highly recommend roasting and then pureeing some veggies (cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, garbanzo beans, etc.) So yum!
  • mcrcrazedfan
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Roasting veggies in olive oil makes them delicious! Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar after roasting, and it makes them amazing! Also, since you're a picky eater, I highly recommend roasting and then pureeing some veggies (cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, garbanzo beans, etc.) So yum!

Thanks so much!